• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China escalating hostile rhetoric towards Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/821130424856391685

BREAKING: Chinese state-media editorial says Trump showing "strategic arrogance" and China must prepare for a "head-on confrontation"

Trump broke with decades of precedent last month by taking a congratulatory telephone call from Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen, angering Beijing, which sees Taiwan as part of China.

"If Trump is determined to use this gambit in taking office, a period of fierce, damaging interactions will be unavoidable, as Beijing will have no choice but to take off the gloves," the English-language China Daily said.

The Global Times, an influential state-run tabloid, echoed the China Daily, saying Beijing would take "strong countermeasures" against Trump's attempt to "impair" the "One China" principle.

"The Chinese mainland will be prompted to speed up Taiwan reunification and mercilessly combat those who advocate Taiwan's independence," the paper said in an editorial.

The Trump transition team did not respond to Reuters' request for comment on the Chinese articles. The Republican president-elect is sworn in on Friday.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said the United States was clearly aware of China's position on "One China."

"Any person should understand that in this world there are certain things that cannot be traded or bought and sold," she told a daily news briefing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-usa-trump-idUSKBN15001X

China was really stupid to be rooting for Trump to win the presidency and should have stolen Trump's tax returns instead, bad call, Xi!

But yeah, I'm guessing China will invade Taiwan and everyone in Taiwan will suffer because Trump wanted to use Taiwan as a cudgel against China.

RPGCrazied

China is going to put sanctions on us aren't they? Which would suck, we get a lot from there. Everything is made in China.

But Trump's words need consequences, I'm all for it, even as an American.

China is going to put sanctions on us aren't they? Which would suck, we get a lot from there. Everything is made in China.

What would it look like if this were to happen? We wouldn't be able to export or import anything to China? Costs of everything rise?

Just send Trump another nice letter saying how great he is and he'll be singing China's praises

and then call up Taiwan again the next day

China has a very complex relationship with both North Korea and Taiwan. The way Trump has dealt with China and their reaction, before he's even sworn in to office, just shows how much of a mistake this country made electing him.

watershed

Banned
This is what happens when Trump acts without thinking, as he often does. However you feel about the US' relationship with China or China's relationship with Taiwan, there are consequences to acting without thinking.

The US has been selling weapons to Taiwan for decades. If the US government actually believed in One China, they wouldn't have been selling defensive weapons to Taiwan.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL30957.pdf

China is prepping a boogeyman to turn the domestic population against someone outside of their government for the likely domestic instability as a result of their economy in the next 12-24 months.

Actual sanctions are very difficult to implement without violating WTO rules, which is going to a problem for Trump as well. I do expect to see a lot of agriculture exports to be impounded because of health concerns or something similar.

Syriel

What would it look like if this were to happen? We wouldn't be able to export or import anything to China? Costs of everything rise?

China is going to try to out-stupid Trump.

You're going to have two governments led by people who both value image and "face" over practical concerns.

It's going to be like two little kids throwing temper tantrums, if both those kids also happened to have access to ICBMs.

It is amazing that China actually preferred Trump to Clinton. Whoops!

This is the part the makes it all kind of amusing.

It's like "China, YOU wanted this. Stop whining."

Same thing is going to happen when Russia gets annoyed w/Trump.

slit

No, they're not. That would not work out well for them. If Trump starts a trade war, however, all bets are off.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Directly threatening Trump is going to work out great. This won't unnecessarily escalate the situation at all.

Both sides raise tariffs and the cost of goods for everyone goes up. In the US, cost of goods may go up, but we have the unused domestic industrial capacity to eat a lot of it. Many US manufacturing businesses have already started moving towards other countries in Asia as the price of labor in China + cost of shipping has made it not as cheap as it used to be. The shift of imports from China has been slowing significantly and more and more manufacturing is starting to shift back to the US.

The cost matrix isn't shifted towards China as much as it used to be. Domestic manufacturing (even with the higher labor rate) can be more cost efficient if you take into account JIT inventory and much lower shipping costs.

Out of the two, China is in a much weaker position in a trade war. They need the US more than the US needs China. The US imports from China out of convenience. China needs US imports to keep 15+ million people employed.

China seems like the type to shoot themselves in the foot to prove a point. USA ain't about that life

My Hotep brother Slay you joking right?

Poor people voted for a billionaire and people that are benefiting from the ACA voted to get it repealed. WE ABOUT THAT LIFE

China knows that they could do nothing if the US supported an independent Taiwan and this is their last gasp for a temper tantrum. Let them act like babies while Trump formally recognizes an independent Taiwan. The dominoes will follow quickly with other countries once that happens and there is nothing that China can do about it.

Boylamite

Doesn't the dossier allege that Trump's business interests in China are even MORE damning than the Russia stuff?
Just saying, I wonder if we'll ever hear more about that.

kmfdmpig

China has more to lose in a trade war than the US does (although both would lose drastically). The trade imbalance, high amount of Chinese government savings being linked to the dollar, and the need for China to consistently grow to keep a populace that they ran over with tanks less than 30 years ago content with strict government control. A trade war would wipe out some of the best remaining years of Chinese growth before demographic trends (namely a rapidly aging and imbalanced society in terms of gender) start to slow it down even further.

The US, if at fault as it seems likely we would be given Trump's stupidity and bridge burning, would lose face around the world and would see major economic loss as well.

China seems like the type to shoot themselves in the foot to prove a point. USA ain't about that life
Bruh.

donald-trump.jpg

Edit: Beaten.

duckroll

China knows that they could do nothing if the US supported an independent Taiwan and this is their last gasp for a temper tantrum. Let them act like babies while Trump formally recognizes an independent Taiwan. The dominoes will follow quickly with other countries once that happens and there is nothing that China can do about it.

Remind me again how the US recognizing Ukraine as an independent country helped prevent Crimea from being annexed. Or what steps the US or any western nation did to pretend Crimean "separatists" from shooting down a Malaysian Airlines international flight?

Slayven

My Hotep brother Slay you joking right?

Poor people voted for a billionaire and people that are benefiting from the ACA voted to get it repealed. WE ABOUT THAT LIFE
That was will for ignorance.

Better wording would be china would be willing to cut off a pinky to show how real they can get.

faisal233

Remind me again how the US recognizing Ukraine as an independent country helped prevent Crimea from being annexed. Or what steps the US or any western nation did to pretend Crimean "separatists" from shooting down a Malaysian Airlines international flight?

No shit. Military power means nothing without the will to use it.

Wilsongt

Our textbooks are going to be fascinating 50 years from now

Nah. They are still at the whim of Texas. Obama will be viewed poorly and Trump will be viewed positively for being strong on China and cooperating with Israel and Russia to better the world.

orochi91

"The Chinese mainland will be prompted to speed up Taiwan reunification and mercilessly combat those who advocate Taiwan's independence," the paper said in an editorial.

This is probably gonna escalate rather quickly.

kmfdmpig

Militarily China would not be a match for the US in an all out conflict, but would the American people be willing to engage in a long drawn out war that would certainly claim thousands of American lives over Taiwan? I'm not at all convinced they would be.

Economically, China could inflict a ton of harm through embargoes, rare earth monopolies, and cutting off access to the Chinese market (a market that many companies have been prioritizing for over a decade).

That was will for ignorance.

Better wording would be china would be willing to cut off a pinky to show how real they can get.

Hmm, this one is actually pretty good.

China just cares so much more about Taiwan (to an obsessive degree really) than America does that it's hard to see how a war in Taiwan ends with anything other than America giving up quickly because they don't care as much.

Supast4r

The US has been selling weapons to Taiwan for decades. If the US government actually believed in One China, they wouldn't have been selling defensive weapons to Taiwan.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL30957.pdf

China is prepping a boogeyman to turn the domestic population against someone outside of their government for the likely domestic instability as a result of their economy in the next 12-24 months.
The US has usually been on Taiwans side but we can't publically say that. That's the problem

I am not going to side with China vs Trump no matter how much I dislike the guy. China should just ignore the guy this is just going to push his sensitive buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom