• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chronicles of Riddick Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCKLES

being watched
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=17719

But I’m tired of these summer movies where we have to turn our brains off to be able to sit still for two hours. I’m tired of paying $10 a pop to get insulted, even if it looks nice while they’re doing it. And so, for that reason, I say thank god for David Twohy and this film, because this one’s guilt-free, folks. This is a big giant SF action film that has a simple but interesting story, a whole fistful of characters I liked, and that builds to an unexpected ending that floored me and left me rabid for whatever comes next.
One of the first things that jumps out at me is the way Twohy distinguishes himself from the pack as far as big-budget filmmakers are concerned right now. The guy has taste, and it is reflected in every single choice made by his collaborators on the film. Cinematographer Hugh Johnson (G.I. JANE, WHITE SQUALL) has a fantastic eye, and his work with Twohy really classes the material up. Holger Gross, the production designer behind STARGATE, has helped Twohy fully realize not one, not two, but at least four different planets, and each one has something about it that makes it interesting and worth watching. And Grame Revell, whose work as a composer is always hit and miss with me, delivers a great score here, building off his PITCH BLACK themes even as he gives epic support to the imagery.

Dead

well not really...yet
eusa_clap.gif
Cant wait!
eusa_dance.gif

Aintitcool aka the site that gives a glowing review to every new sci-fi or comic book movie coming out. Their reviews are worthless.

I know Riddick is going to be a pile of shit, because I saw the first 10 minutes. Garfield looks alright for a kids movie as long as you don't think of it as a Garfield movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think wanting to see garfield pretty much invalidates any opinion on movies you may have

DeadStar said:
Its not a prequel

It's a movie that takes place in the same universe as Pitch Black and takes place before it. How is that not a Prequel? Just because it doesn't have the same aliens and such as Pitch Black doesn't meant it's not a prequel. The stories don't need to be connected for it to be a prequel.

Dead

well not really...yet
StrikerObi said:
It's a movie that takes place in the same universe as Pitch Black and takes place before it. How is that not a Prequel? Just because it doesn't have the same aliens and such as Pitch Black doesn't meant it's not a prequel. The stories don't need to be connected for it to be a prequel.
it takes place 5 years after Pitch Black

AICN is the most horrid, repulsive hive of stupid fat over-excited, 'movie-buffs' on Al Gore's Internet. I could get a better review of a film from the clerk at my local videostore

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
StrikerObi said:

I'm sorry i wasn't around to also point out that Chronicles comes after Pitch Black... hey btw Chronicles comes AFTER Pitch Black.....

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
DarienA said:
I'm sorry i wasn't around to also point out that Chronicles comes after Pitch Black... hey btw Chronicles comes AFTER Pitch Black.....

Wait, are you saying that Chronicles comes after Pitch Black?

Wolfy

Banned
It's about time we had a good sci fi flic.

I watched WaterWorld and Star Trek Nemesis last week because of the drought.

nitewulf

cool, i always liked pitch black. initially i thought this was a prequel as well, as i remember they planned to do a prequel...guess they just made it a seqeul instead.

Chipopo

Banned
AICN does suck, but just to increase the validity of the review a smidgeon, it's written by Moriarity as opposed to Knowles. Moriarity is fairly reliable, although he has had his fare share of clunkers.

i saw Pitch Black and liked it alot..

the videogame is really fun so far, and a pretty interesting story...

ill see the movie for sure, and eventually i'll see the anime as i plan to get the DVD and the special edition Pitch Black DVD...

yeah. Im pretty sure the chronology goes something like:

Escape from Butcher Bay game
<--10 years later---->
Pitch Black
<---shortly after---->
Dark Fury (Peter Cheung straight to DVD cartoon)
<---5 years later---->
Chronicles of Riddick

thats a whole lot of Riddick.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
there is also a TV special called 'into pitch black' or something like that, it happens just before pitch black (I think it centers around the merc captruing riddick), it came out in 2000. I've never seen it, but its on the imdb and evidently Vin Diesel was in it.

Given that everything is being changed to 'chronicles or Riddick: whatever' I think we will have a whole lot more Riddick in the future if this does well.

FoneBone

Chipopo said:
AICN does suck, but just to increase the validity of the review a smidgeon, it's written by Moriarity as opposed to Knowles. Moriarity is fairly reliable, although he has had his fare share of clunkers.
Yep. Knowles' reviews are worthless, but despite what some of you would like to think, not everything posted on AICN is.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
FoneBone said:
Yep. Knowles' reviews are worthless, but despite what some of you would like to think, not everything posted on AICN is.

Well if he upped the presentation of his website people might take it a bit more seriously. I saw that site once and I refuse to go back there. Is it still shit brown with giant lettering?

Kalren

So I went to the preview tonight....

With the lack of reviews out there and the fact the commecial did not appeal to me with it's one liners...I did not have high expectations.

I liked it.

In fact I enjoyed it and would like to see more.

The movie sets itself 5 years later. It's mentioned several time.

Riddick's lines don't sound as as bad as they do in the trailers which was something I was worried about.

I do fault some of the action sequences as being too unfocused in that I could not follow the action. But that may have more to do with the fact that I was sitting about 4 rows from the front.

I'll probably see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom