• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Part Two - Review Thread

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rentahamster Rentahamster Your entire argument is kind of meaningless because you haven't read the books and don't know that Chani believed in the prophecy completely and absolutely and would have followed Paul straight to hell if necessary to remain at his side for eternity. The movie completely invented this doubting version of Chani which doesn't exist in the books and honestly I have no idea after the ending of Dune Part 2 what they are going to do with Chani in Dune Messiah to even pretend there can be continuity from that ending to the events of the second Dune novel

Well yeah, it is meaningless with respect to book Chani because I never read the books. I'm just saying that I'm agreeing with the point that people who are new to Dune tend to be fine with movie Chani because that's the only Chani they know. Personally, I thought the changes were fine because there was no other major character pushing back on the Messiah narrative to add to the dramatic tension to that particular theme of the story, and movie Chani seemed to perform that function well enough. I'm not sure which book character, if any, served as the vessel for the "not the Messiah" counter narrative.

In terms of where they go from here, I have no idea. I just hope it's more Fight Club than Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
Well yeah, it is meaningless with respect to book Chani because I never read the books. I'm just saying that I'm agreeing with the point that people who are new to Dune tend to be fine with movie Chani because that's the only Chani they know. Personally, I thought the changes were fine because there was no other major character pushing back on the Messiah narrative to add to the dramatic tension to that particular theme of the story, and movie Chani seemed to perform that function well enough. I'm not sure which book character, if any, served as the vessel for the "not the Messiah" counter narrative.

In terms of where they go from here, I have no idea. I just hope it's more Fight Club than Game of Thrones.
The movie make it very clear that the major character who pushes back the hardest against the Messianic Myth that was created around him was Paul himself. This is faithful to the book, in which Paul gains his prescient vision (read: ability to see possible futures) early on in the story and then spends the entire 2nd half of the book trying to prevent the prophecy of himself from being fulfilled because he foresaw that if he became the Messiah for the Fremen, the result would be a jihad that would rampage across the entire known universe and kill many billions of innocent people.

Last edited:

Hudo

Holy crap, how did this slip past my lego radar????

u0WE9MB.jpg
I bought that set. It's quite cool. A bit annoying to build at times, since there are a lot of elements that repeat. But it's worth it, imho. But then again, I am a big Dune fan, so I am biased.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The movie make it very clear that the major character who pushes back the hardest against the Messianic Myth that was created around him was Paul himself. This is faithful to the book, in which Paul gains his prescient vision (read: ability to see possible futures) early on in the story and then spends the entire 2nd half of the book trying to prevent the prophecy of himself from being fulfilled because he foresaw that if he became the Messiah for the Fremen, the result would be a jihad that would rampage across the entire known universe and kill many billions of innocent people.

Yeah, it was Paul, until it wasn't. He and Jessica decide to use the gift they were given because in Jessica's case that was preferable to death, and in Paul's case that was how he was going to convince the Fremen to help him get revenge. Once that happens, there isn't anyone left to represent the counter narrative.

Yeah, it was Paul, until it wasn't. He and Jessica decide to use the gift they were given because in Jessica's case that was preferable to death, and in Paul's case that was how he was going to convince the Fremen to help him get revenge. Once that happens, there isn't anyone left to represent the counter narrative.
The movie invented the whole thing about 'drink the blue shiny water or die' whereas in the novel Jessica does so willingly, and Paul using the Fremen to get revenge on the Harkonnens was always separate from becoming their Messiah and Paul tried his hardest until the very end to avoid that fate in the book

What I'm telling you is that everything you are trying to argue right now is meaningless because all of it was invented for the movie. Literally all of it

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The movie invented the whole thing about 'drink the blue shiny water or die' whereas in the novel Jessica does so willingly,

I see. More moral ambiguity in the movie, then?

Paul using the Fremen to get revenge on the Harkonnens was always separate from becoming their Messiah and Paul tried his hardest until the very end to avoid that fate in the book

That seems in line with the movie. He wanted to avoid that fate, but then he still made the active choice to embrace it due to the escalation of the Harkonnens after the siege of Seitch Tabr.

What I'm telling you is that everything you are trying to argue right now is meaningless because all of it was invented for the movie. Literally all of it

Yes, I agreed that it's meaningless for book Chani because I'm not talking about that. I'm not even trying to argue anything other than that I agree with the point that newcomers to Dune generally agree that movie Chani is fine, since that was my impression too. Perhaps if I read the books first, I would have a different opinion, so I'll reserve that for when I do read them.

Last edited:

Jsisto

They really need to create a Dune Thumper that people can buy. I just want one that moves up and down and makes the sound effect. The movie design is so iconic. It would make a good….alarm clock or something. Or you could just put it places to mess with people. 😂

Jsisto

Just listened to this. Was a really fascinating listen. Really interesting look at not only his thought process behind the books but also of the man himself.

Particularly liked his thoughts on Feudalism as intrinsic to life and civilization. Given the right stressors, it will manifest itself. Given a lack of stressors, it will manifest itself. Not the deepest thought ever but the way he put it I found particularly interesting.

Last edited:

thefool

What happened with Chani is, sadly, a reflection of our arts and culture. They are tainted by a projection of modern sensibilities that undermine their themes.

In Dune’s case is even more idiotic because it makes the story a bit nonsensical. If a california teenager (passing as Fremen) in the middle of nowhere sees through BG bullshit, their power in the Imperium is wholeheartedly absurd. Not even House Corrino knows about their centuries old plan to manipulate humanity through eugenics, political and cultural influence. Yet the desert angst teen knows her tribe beliefs have been manipulated.

Maybe one day we'll have a proper Dune adaptation. All of it.

Last edited:

Jsisto

What happened with Chani is, sadly, a reflection of our arts and culture. They are tainted by a projection of modern sensibilities that undermine their themes.

In Dune’s case is even more idiotic because it makes the story a bit nonsensical. If a california teenager (passing as Fremen) in the middle of nowhere sees through their bullshit, their power in the Imperium is wholeheartedly absurd. Not even House Corrino knows about their centuries old plan to manipulate humanity through eugenics, political and cultural influence. Yet the desert angst teen knows her tribe beliefs have been manipulated.

Eh. Complaints aside, it was an amazing movie and I’m fully satisfied with it. The core story is basically identical. Let’s be honest, Chani is not some super important character in the series aside from having Paul’s children. So the direction they went is fine for THIS movie, if it ended here. It’s just where they go from here that concerns me.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

In Dune’s case is even more idiotic because it makes the story a bit nonsensical. If a california teenager (passing as Fremen) in the middle of nowhere sees through their bullshit, their power in the Imperium is wholeheartedly absurd. Not even House Corrino knows about their centuries old plan to manipulate humanity through eugenics, political and cultural influence. Yet the desert angst teen knows her tribe beliefs have been manipulated.

Now that the awesome visuals have wrorn off people are starting realize this adaptation isn't great no guild navigators, fremen don't use the weirding way, and last but not least the changes made to Chani's character.

thefool

Eh. Complaints aside, it was an amazing movie and I’m fully satisfied with it. The core story is basically identical. Let’s be honest, Chani is not some super important character in the series aside from having Paul’s children. So the direction they went is fine for THIS movie, if it ended here. It’s just where they go from here that concerns me.

It's not just Chani. It's everything. They butchered the nuanced story and its characters. Stilgar, Jessica, Paul, Alia, they have failed to properly display the balance of powers between schools, the role of the Imperial Household, the Landsraad, the Spacing Guild, the CHOAM, Bene Gesserit, the Sardukar and its role within House Corrino. The ecology of Arrakis, probably Herbert biggest boner is entirely absent, also because of another absurd injection of modernity in Part 1 with Dr. Liet Kynes.
Why were mentats even introduced in Part 1 if Tufir story is abandoned?
This is a film afraid of the book it's adapting.
What's the point of anything then? To see Paul jump into a worm in a big screen? Yeah that looks cool but Dune is so much richer than that.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

It's not just Chani. It's everything. They butchered the whole story and characters. Stilgar, Jessica, Paul, Alia, they have failed to properly display the balance of powers between schools, the role of the Imperial Household, the Landsraad, the Spacing Guild, the CHOAM, Bene Gesserit, the Sardukar and its role within House Corrino. The ecology of Arrakis, probably Herbert biggest boner is entirely absent, also because of another absurd injection of modernity in Part 1 with Dr. Liet Kynes.
Why were mentats even introduced in Part 1 if Tufir story is abandoned?
This is a film afraid of the book it's adapting.
What's the point of anything then? To see Paul jump into a worm in a big screen? Yeah that looks cool but Dune is so much richer than that.
It is richer but it doesn’t sell. Villeneuve is not a critical, yet misunderstood darling - this guy gets hired to bring in money.

Cyberpunkd

Now that the awesome visuals have wrorn off people are starting realize this adaptation isn't great no guild navigators, fremen don't use the weirding way, and last but not least the changes made to Chani's character.
This is why I like Lynch movie - it established very early on that the emperor means nothing, true power resides with the Spacing Guild. I don’t remember the details but I think in the book Shaddam is forced to abdicate in part because the Guild was scared spice will stop flowing.
It even ties with the abomination that is Brian Herbert’s work and how prominent role Norma Cerva and Guild navigators have in the end of Omnius/Erasmus.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It is richer but it doesn’t sell. Villeneuve is not a critical, yet misunderstood darling - this guy gets hired to bring in money.
If this guy (and maybe 3 boby problem) can jump start another wave of classic sci-fi getting holkywooded, I'll take it. Foundation was a miss for me. But imagine Aronofski taking on "The Mote in God's Eye", or Michael Bay getting Lucifers Hammer, or a proper Forever War (wasn't this tried recently?) or Honor Harrington, hell the Asian kickass boss babe is RIGHT THERE!

I know most of these adaptation will fail, but it's be a damn sight better than more capeshit. The only comic I wanna see now is SAGA.

Cyberpunkd

If this guy (and maybe 3 boby problem) can jump start another wave of classic sci-fi getting holkywooded, I'll take it. Foundation was a miss for me. But imagine Aronofski taking on "The Mote in God's Eye", or Michael Bay getting Lucifers Hammer, or a proper Forever War (wasn't this tried recently?) or Honor Harrington, hell the Asian kickass boss babe is RIGHT THERE!

I know most of these adaptation will fail, but it's be a damn sight better than more capeshit. The only comic I wanna see now is SAGA.
HH has me like:

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

But then you mention SAGA and I’m like:

Sarcastic Sara Ali Khan GIF by Amazon miniTV

killatopak

I think I need to watch the original dune and the tv series as well if I am to trust this thread.

Originally wanted to read the books after watching the film but everyone praises the older films.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I think I need to watch the original dune and the tv series as well if I am to trust this thread.

Originally wanted to read the books after watching the film but everyone praises the older films.
Listen to John Marston John Marston the recent films and the books can coexist. No need to loose a great experience because the books have not been followed 100%. Think of it like the Lord of the ring/Hobbit adaptations. If you had read the book first, then you could complain. But if you just go and see the movies you will love them I think. You can always read the books later and they will allow you to understand it a lot more.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Listen to John Marston John Marston the recent films and the books can coexist. No need to loose a great experience because the books have not been followed 100%. Think of it like the Lord of the ring/Hobbit adaptations. If you had read the book first, then you could complain. But if you just go and see the movies you will love them I think. You can always read the books later and they will allow you to understand it a lot more.
Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the films and hope Messiah gets made I just wish they were more faithful to the books.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the films and hope Messiah gets made I just wish they were more faithful to the books.
Being more accurate is better. But I am a optimistic kind of guy and prefer to see the good than the bad. In the first book the Guild is just so powerful. Even after decades I still remember how I feel about them. I still liked the films, because the visuals will to me become part of what I see when I will read the books again, like Lord of the rings movies did before. And that is pretty good already.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm thinking Part 3/Dune Messiah is going to go hard with the Guild. The big bads from Parts 1 and 2 aren't so much in play anymore, which would give time to introduce the new big bads.

Chani's reaction to Paul's decisions in the climax differs from the book, but in the movie Paul even says beforehand something like, "she'll come around." And that guy can see the future. The girl's got a lot to process; give her time.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I read the books & watched the original movie.
Trust me you don't need to revisit all that.
Au contraire mon fere, Dune is such a layered, complex, and nuanced novel, I think you DO need to read it (and sequels) as well as digest the fantastic Lynch adaptation and somewhat more faithful syfy series. It's only a day or two of commitment but very rewarding I think.

Au contraire mon fere, Dune is such a layered, complex, and nuanced novel, I think you DO need to read it (and sequels) as well as digest the fantastic Lynch adaptation and somewhat more faithful syfy series. It's only a day or two of commitment but very rewarding I think.
I mean realistically if you're going to invest all the time to watch the Lynch movie and the Sci-Fi miniseries, why not invest that time into just reading the book at that point? LMAO

thefool

I'm curious if Zimmer will release a sketchbook album this time too. That was really good.

For Part 1 he also released something called the Art and Soul of Dune (a slowed down stretched version of Sketchbook music tracks) , which is a fantastic companion for the book (as it is described). Would love if the Audible version of the book incorporated it

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's kinda admirable how zendaya tricked so many people into thinking that she is super hot or a talented actress.

I was done with her after the first dogshit spidey movie with spider holland.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It's kinda admirable how zendaya tricked so many people into thinking that she is super hot or a talented actress.

I was done with her after the first dogshit spidey movie with spider holland.
She is hot. Some people like what you call it?petite women? But she is not a great actress.

Last edited:

GymWolf

She is hot. Some people like what you call it?petite women? But she is not a great actress.
She is good looking, some people act like she is a 10\10.

Without an over the top dress she could pass you in the streets and nobody would turn their head for her.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
She is good looking, some people act like she is a 10\10.

Without an over the top dress she could pass you in the streets and nobody would turn their head for her.
As I have said, some people like this kind of body. She is really beautiful for me. Some people in this thread(or another about Florence Pugh making food?) prefer Pugh. I am really not seeing it. Not that she is ugly, just not to my tastes.

I really enjoyed it but I made a huge mistake by not revisiting the first one prior. I'm TERRIBLE with names and shit, GoT for example was endless confusion to me when my girl watched it, so I feel like half the plot flew over my head.

Still really dug the atmosphere and everything. I did feel like the PG13 rating made the fights feel weird often. I didn't need hyper gore but the slashes and stabs feel kinda wimpy without at least some blood. Weird nitpick, I know, but somehow that stuck with me.

Top Bottom