• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chucklefish apologizes for Wargroove's whitewashed voice casting

"You didn't apologize hard enough", said the blue-haired unemployed 30-something on Twitter.

Turquoise-haired, fake-working (blogger, activist, eskimo, etc.), age-fluid, overweight woman with weirdly small boobs/near-anorexic asexual guy who LOVES cute things that mostly young children like but would never go near a real child (they swear!!1). Also they love Ghostbusters 2016 and Rey.

Here, fix that pls. 💁🐧

Rat Rage

LOL. But someone did say something.

In the Reeeee thread, someone brought up a greek guy like Kratos is voiced by black guys................ and he got banned for bringing it up. lol

Globule

Banned

Yesterday at 5:30 AM
User Banned (Permanent): racist whataboutism, inflammatory racist commentary

I only see this as a problem if they deliberately dismissed POC for the job. I don't think people have black, brown or white colored voices except if you want to fall into caricature. Should we be up in arms because Kratos' voice is performed by POCs and not greek people? Having POC visual representation seems much more important and that's what we got here, right?

How can you even be perma-banned for a statement/opinion like that? How can any sane person want to be part of such a downright dumb, hysteric and hostile community governed by absolutely idiotic mods/admins?

Herr Edgy

How can you even be perma-banned for a statement/opinion like that? How can any sane person want to be part of such a downright dumb, hysteric and hostile community governed by absolutely idiotic mods/admins?
For them his statement reads as "I'm a nazi who wants to see minorities dead". It's equivalent. They see our kind of reasoning as something insane, just as we do theirs. /shrug
But based on the fact that we aren't getting banned for statements, even if crass, I appreciate GAF a lot.

Grinchy

Banned
You know how sometimes you're dating a girl who argues about everything, even she knows she's wrong, but she still sets it up so you have to apologize anyway? And then she just finds something new to make you apologize for a couple days later? That's ResetEra. It's the greatest proof that trans women are real women.

TUROK

These companies need to learn not to give into people who just want to seem like they're "good" people without actually doing anything commendable.

Bitching about social injustice online tends to come across as moral posturing than genuine concern, and those responses do a bang-up job of showing so.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You know how sometimes you're dating a girl who argues about everything, even she knows she's wrong, but she still sets it up so you have to apologize anyway? And then she just finds something new to make you apologize for a couple days later? That's ResetEra. It's the greatest proof that trans women are real women.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Orta

Banned
Anyone that bows to those rabid fucking spunk spitting paedo cocksuckers at RetardEra deserves everything that comes their way. Fuck 'em.

Now lets see what the "people" complaining have to say

Jl1IxTg.png

OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I hate this thread because 98% of you never come into real life contact with people of color, aka me, and this makes all of you believe this is how we act and it's like "goddamn.... an echo chamber worse than Artifact."

Oh god, I haven't been to this site in like 5 years and everyone is a MAGA loving, delusional, "Gamers Rise Up" "Wah, SJWs! Even though they're one of the reasons I don't work in a sweatshop a day for 18 cents!"

Y'all are just sad. This forum used to be great. And now it's durr cuck... derp SJWs!! why would you be against anyone who fought for social justice? Do you realize this is why you're not dying from well... every thing, because we SJWs fought to have your right to see a doctor when you're ill. Every benefit you've ever gotten is from "SJWs". So suck it up, snowflakes..

Gamer Culture is the worst. This site was never toxic like this. I pity you.

brap

Banned
I hate this thread because 98% of you never come into real life contact with people of color, aka me, and this makes all of you believe this is how we act and it's like "goddamn.... an echo chamber worse than Artifact."
Oh fuck you're right. 100% of people around me are all white. Insecure little bitch lmao.

Oh god, I haven't been to this site in like 5 years and everyone is a MAGA loving, delusional, "Gamers Rise Up" "Wah, SJWs! Even though they're one of the reasons I don't work in a sweatshop a day for 18 cents!"

Y'all are just sad. This forum used to be great. And now it's durr cuck... derp SJWs!! why would you be against anyone who fought for social justice? Do you realize this is why you're not dying from well... every thing, because we SJWs fought to have your right to see a doctor when you're ill. Every benefit you've ever gotten is from "SJWs". So suck it up, snowflakes..

You should take another 5 year break. Nobody wants you here.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I was interested in the game; was waiting to pick it up for Switch (which I am getting for xmas)... but not anymore. I'll buy it used.

If they feel the need to apologize for doing nothing wrong, they won't get my money. As far as I'm concerned, they've went from simply being ignorant of the woke SJW expectations to being part of the problem.

Too bad.

And to those people that saying that criticizing the apology is as bad as those demanding the apology, how so? How are they the same thing? On the one hand the dev didn't do anything wrong. But to try to fix the "perceived" faux pas, they DID do something wrong.

And to those that said they aren't opposed to having any color actor voicing any color character BUT they wish there was "authenticity", isn't it about time you get rid of the preconceived notions of what makes an "authentic" black character or white character? Isn't that just a form of stereotyping?

Last edited:
Uh, where did you get this? At least some of those responses are from the Ion Fury thread.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

WTH?! LMBO! Unhinged. This is a cool site... Go to the other place.

And folks here DO care about social justice... But SJWs are not MLK, Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey... They ain't even Bernie Sanders!

Righteous ban!

Shantae

Banned
ver heard of it before now.
That aside... I want to try this game. Never heard of it before now.
I thought it was okay...some people say it's not balanced well, and maybe they're right. I haven't played a ton of these types of games, outside of the more recent Fire Emblems. It's more like Advance Wars than Fire Emblem I guess, but there's a little FE in there. Advance Wars always got too hard for at some point whenever I've tried it. I enjoyed my time with this, but I eventually fell off of it before finishing the campaign. Maybe I should go back to it.

Mista

Banned

Suck my dick

Shifty1897

There is only one correct form for a Dev apology. Patch notes.

I wish we had better tools for Devs to find what people are really annoyed about.
The default option will always favor the loudest voice.

Devs (especially indie ones) don't have the bandwidth to triage all that info.
It's a ton of ungrateful work for somebody like a community manager to find the things that can be acted upon.

You must work in software development, I've only ever heard devs refer to fixing issues post release as "triage"

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

I like turtles 🥳

20191208_103541.jpg

Jesus neogaf mods at least give me a warning that i have to clean my fucking monitor xD

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

See, your post would be sensible if the people being talked about here were actually fighting for social justice.
But they are neither fighting, nor are they doing what they are doing (which is whining) for social justice, because equating white voice actors voicing minority characters being some form of racism does not fly.
As far as I'm aware, the casting was blind - examining subconscious bias is good and all, but who is saying that they had a) good and b) minority voice actors applying in the first place? And if there were some, who says they fit the criteria the devs were going for? Are the devs supposed to go against their own active choices because "even if it's an active choice, if it leads to 3 white dudes voicing 3 minority characters it can never possibly be justified"? So basically, people are no longer allowed to have self agency because if the SJW moral compass deems it wrong it has to be wrong and therefore what the SJW mob believes in is being dictated to the broader world? For the record, I'm not saying that there couldn't have been racism involved in what Chucklefish did. No one but the involved can know. Aside from the fact that harassing people is never okay, it's even more so not okay to harass them over some possibly imaginary racism using heavy accusations that involve nothing but superficial outcry over something that you don't understand in the first place (the casting process, the applicants, the criteria of the devs etc.).

I'm not part of the group you are describing, and I agree that some of the posts here are a bit too dramatizing. But you are quite literally equating yourself and people like you, people who cry on twitter to devs for casting three white dudes, with people who shed blood and lost relatives in actual war in an attempt to give people more rights. Shame on you.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Uh, where did you get this? At least some of those responses are from the Ion Fury thread.
Yup. Posted this on page 2. Nobody reads that far in :messenger_frowning_
A decent amount to potentially ridicule in the actual Wargroove thread, but nothing quite as absurd as the screencapped image. (I haven't checked for a bit, though)

Saber

Gold Member

They are officially calling anyone racist if you don't agree. The number of members banned and tagged as racists is...surreal.
Theres even a member literally insinuating the other(which is now banned) is a racist. I don't think he can do anything now, I feel bad for them.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This is not their only fault. I have offended by character design as a tall person! Apology for dwarfwashed casting too!

ROMhack

I was interested in the game; was waiting to pick it up for Switch (which I am getting for xmas)... but not anymore. I'll buy it used.

If they feel the need to apologize for doing nothing wrong, they won't get my money. As far as I'm concerned, they've went from simply being ignorant of the woke SJW expectations to being part of the problem.

Too bad.

I wouldn't read into it so much. A quick apology is ordinarily the best way to diffuse this kind of bullshit (and it is bullshit).

Source: Used to work at a university and had to deal with students.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I wouldn't read into it so much. A quick apology is ordinarily the best way to diffuse this kind of bullshit (and it is bullshit).

You're not wrong, I do tend to let things like this bother me more than other apolitical consumers.

But I've had enough of companies caving to wokeness and brands kowtowing to the online bullies and SJWs. If they truly did something wrong a quick apology would be appropriate; in this case no apology was necessary and it actually hurt the company because now they've disappointed many people with a similar worldview as myself as well as the original mob (who wasn't even looking for an apology, as is evidenced by their refusal to accept the given the one offered. Their goal was simply to push the fear of retribution against future devs who might not put enough priority on carrying their progressive message).

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
G4HlgSu.png

ERA's solution to everything.

Seeing that post makes me wonder if the person made a sock puppet account there to have a little fun. I'm sure there are good times to be had there pretending to be slightly crazier than everyone else (but not so much so that you blow your cover), then put your finger on the scale in order to increase the craziness there more and more over time. Just imagine the possibilities over there if a team of 5 people went over there with that intent. In a year, the place could be so much more insane than it is now, and the trolls who initiated the plan would be considered saints by the weirdos at Era, all the while having a good chuckle at the destruction they wrought. 🙃

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Agreed. I bet they are against mixed dating as well! /ssssssssssssssssssssssss god I wish I didn't need to type that but you never know!
Yet another dumb account suicide letter poster SHOCKING!
Also if you aren't from the south don't use y'all.

ROMhack

You're not wrong, I do tend to let things like this bother me more than other apolitical consumers.

But I've had enough of companies caving to wokeness and brands kowtowing to the online bullies and SJWs. If they truly did something wrong a quick apology would be appropriate; in this case no apology was necessary and it actually hurt the company because now they've disappointed many people with a similar worldview as myself as well as the original mob (who wasn't even looking for an apology, as is evidenced by their refusal to accept the given the one offered. Their goal was simply to push the fear of retribution against future devs who might not put enough priority on carrying their progressive message).

I do agree and suspect Chucklefish's small size works against them in these situations. It's probably not a storm they could weather if it got more out of hand. RE can be horrible bullies, we all know that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Turquoise-haired, fake-working (blogger, activist, eskimo, etc.), age-fluid, overweight woman with weirdly small boobs/near-anorexic asexual guy who LOVES cute things that mostly young children like but would never go near a real child (they swear!!1). Also they love Ghostbusters 2016 and Rey.

Here, fix that pls. 💁🐧
Can i use a nuclear bomb as a cure?

Top Bottom