• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larian Studios Won't Make Baldur's Gate 3 DLC, Expansions, or Baldur's Gate 4

DelireMan7

I wouldn't have say No to more BG3 but there is already so much in it that it'll take years to see everything.

By the past, they already said that after BG3 they want to do something of smaller scale.

Curious to see if they'll continue on cRPG and what they'll do out of a fantasy setting. Would love a Sci-fi cRPG from them.
I like studios that specialize in a genre. I don't feel like they should try something too far from their expertise.

Hopefully Wizards Of The Coast can get some other competent cRPG developer to bring back Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale. There aren't many though. Obsidian and Owlcat come to mind.
Considering the shit they tried to pull by changing their D&D license last year it is possible that very few are willing to work with them.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's Hasbro for you. I have a sort of "guy on the inside" there and he's often alluding to just how much of a shitshow it is. Nobody wants to work with them.

Guilty_AI

I haven't played BG3 yet, but I'm curious, have you played Divinity: Original Sin II? If so, what did you think? I recently finished it and thought it was fantastic. More importantly the writing was some of the best I've encountered in a video game in recent memory. So that's why I'm a bit surprised to hear this. Same studio of course, but according to wikipedia these games had different writers.
Eh ignore him. Some people put on their heads BG3 story is somehow "millennial" or full of "quirky humor" ever since the bear meme appeared. Naturally, its a rpg where you have a strong influence on story events, so it will not necessarely be all well-paced out like a movie or book.

Like, you have this:

Then, same moment if the player tries to be a smart-ass:

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

That's Hasbro for you. I have a sort of "guy on the inside" there and he's often alluding to just how much of a shitshow it is. Nobody wants to work with them.

The message of Sven shitting on publishers at GDC and now this announcement, it seems clear that Hasbro fucked it up with Larian.

To begin with, Hasbro fired everyone attached to BG3 project on their side after release. That’s a shit move on their part and already kills a collaboration between ties that developed between them over the years for BG3

Good for Larian to move away

They don’t need their license anymore. They’ve shown they can easily make their own universe and lore

Guilty_AI

Vincke says the next game won't be Divinity: Original Sin 3, and that it will be "different than what you think it is" but that it's "still familiar."
So, guess they'll try their hands at Dragon Commander again?

Hudo

That being said, while I do agree that they should try to make something of their own again, I wouldn't say no if they'd attempted a Dune or Dark Sun RPG.

Top Bottom