• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) April 2023: #1 Jedi Survivor 4 #2 Dead Island 2 #7 PGA Tour #8 Battle Netowrk; NSW #1 Units, PS5 #1 Revenue

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
no worries, should expect PS5 surge again i nsales after the showcase.

Woopah

I think Switch has got May in the bag (units) but doesn't April count the first 2 days of TotK's OLED Switch sales (also are pre-orders made whenever lumped into the first day of the OLED's release)?
Yes it does, I was just pointing out that the Zelda effect is not only limited to this month.
Are they scared to mention Xbox or something? We get less information on Xbox every month than the previous NPD I mean Circana. This shit is so obvious at this point.
They mention the top performer in units and revenue. Since that is usually PS5 or Switch, those are the ones mentioned. Xbox would get mentioned if it came first in any of those categories.

Vroadstar

Did Xbox just dissappear from the NDP chart? 🤣
Shia Labeouf Magic GIF

yazenov

Yes it does, I was just pointing out that the Zelda effect is not only limited to this month.

They mention the top performer in units and revenue. Since that is usually PS5 or Switch, those are the ones mentioned. Xbox would get mentioned if it came first in any of those categories.
Double-digit percentage growth in both PS5 and Switch dollar sales offset declines on other platforms

I mean, what other platforms are there that are relevant now with the exception of the Xbox Series? This is a sales tracker, they shouldn't be careful not to hurt MS's feelings and mention the decline was due to Xbox Series specifically. The "other" platforms (assuming PS4 and Xbox one) are basically negligible now.

Last edited:

Woopah

I mean, what other platforms are there that are relevant now with the exception of the Xbox Series? This is a sales tracker, they shouldn't be careful not to hurt MS's feelings and mention the decline was due to Xbox Series specifically. The "other" platforms (assuming PS4 and Xbox one) are basically negligible now.
Right, they are talking about Xbox Series, Xbox One and PS4.

They aren't doing it "not to hurt MS' feelings". When PS5 alone was driving hardware increases, they didn't mention Switch by name either.

Edit: In October 2022 they said: "Double-digit percentage dollar sales growth for both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles was offset by declines on other platforms"

There's not some hidden agenda at the company to protect Microsoft.

Last edited:

John Wick

Could it not also be The Super Mario Bros movie? Parents could be buying their kids Switches after watching it?

yazenov

Right, they are talking about Xbox Series, Xbox One and PS4.

They aren't doing it "not to hurt MS' feelings". When PS5 alone was driving hardware increases, they didn't mention Switch by name either.

Edit: In October 2022 they said: "Double-digit percentage dollar sales growth for both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles was offset by declines on other platforms"

There's not some hidden agenda at the company to protect Microsoft.
So they are trying to protect the 3rd placed company? Its not the feeling Business. Just report the facts.

Again the other consoles are negligible. Its a 3 console race at this point. I don't see any reason not to mention the consoles specifically when they are in a decline.

Woopah

So they are trying to protect the 3rd placed company? Its not the feeling Business. Just report the facts.

Again the other consoles are negligible. Its a 3 console race at this point. I don't see any reason not to mention the consoles specifically when they are in a decline.
They are reporting facts. They are telling us which platforms are growing and how that impacts overall hardware spending in the market.

They use "other platforms" rather than writing out "Switch, PS4 and Xbox One" or "Xbox Series, Switch, PS4 and Xbox One". It's simpler to write that rather than listing all the different consoles they track.

Thirty7ven

Banned

The facts are being reported, they are just keeping things positive they aren’t in the “console war” business.

Xbox is down, PS5 and Switch are up enough to offset.

If anything I would like software to be more explained more in-depth, as there is a decline but we don’t know where from. Considering everyone is trying to understand how GP affects business it would be lovely to see how much it’s down on Xbox.

yazenov

They are reporting facts. They are telling us which platforms are growing and how that impacts overall hardware spending in the market.

They use "other platforms" rather than writing out "Switch, PS4 and Xbox One" or "Xbox Series, Switch, PS4 and Xbox One". It's simpler to write that rather than listing all the different consoles they track.

My point is that PS4 and Xbox One are basically a blip in the radar and aren't even worth mentioning since their decline won't contribute to the overall numbers given how irrelevant they are.

Saying a decline was due to "others" is a misdirection to not mention the Switch / PS5 / Xbox Series specifically if they were in a decline in the hope of not getting on the bad side of the 3 big consoles manufacturers. Probably.

Just say want you mean bro.

Last edited:

yazenov

The facts are being reported, they are just keeping things positive they aren’t in the “console war” business.

Xbox is down, PS5 and Switch are up enough to offset.

If anything I would like software to be more explained more in-depth, as there is a decline but we don’t know where from. Considering everyone is trying to understand how GP affects business it would be lovely to see how much it’s down on Xbox.

Mentioning a decline in Xbox Series S sales is not console Wars business when they are reporting facts. They don't need to hide that fact behind "others", especially when the other consoles are a non-factor.

Last edited:

onQ123

To be fair it only takes seconds to type them other names this is clearly about not shining a light on the company that's not doing so good.

MrA

Banned
Odd that Switch beat out Playstation just a month after it posted a record 700k or so in sales.

Did the PS5 sales come back down to earth or did the switch post a record month too?
Pent up, demand March burnt through it and caught up to ps4 in the us, every country that provides numbers has seen a substantial month over month drop for ps5, expect solid ps5 performance for the rest of the year since a 30% drop from record breaking is still excellent
but I think the record breaking is over, and I bet sony is going to end up lowering their forecast to about 22 million
Are they scared to mention Xbox or something? We get less information on Xbox every month than the previous NPD I mean Circana. This shit is so obvious at this point.
Ms needs to do something , they're clearly on Shaker ground with the xsx, maybe they'll try a 360 and launch next gen early, all they'd have to do is rebrand a pro style device, but boy that'd be desperate

Woopah

My point is that PS4 and Xbox One are basically a blip in the radar and aren't even worth mentioning since their decline won't contribute to the overall numbers given how irrelevant they are.

Saying a decline was due to "others" is a misdirection to not mention the Switch / PS5 / Xbox Series specifically if they were in a decline in the hope of not getting on the bad side of the 3 big consoles manufacturers. Probably.

Just say want you mean bro.
It's not a misdirection, it's the truth. That's the way they write things and has been for a long time, using the term "other platforms" rather than listing them all out.

For example, this is what they said about software in Jan 2019:

“Double-digit percentage software sales growth on the Nintendo Switch platform was offset by declines across all other platforms.”

Do you think that he avoided mentioning PS4, Xbox One and 3DS by name because he wanted to avoid getting on the bad side of Sony, Microsift and Nintendo?
To be fair it only takes seconds to type them other names this is clearly about not shining a light on the company that's not doing so good.
The reports always focus on the leading platforms. When the PS5 was the only console growing, they didn't mention either Switch nor Xbox Series by name. It wasn't to avoid shining a light on Nintendo and Microsoft.

Same with their hardware units and revenue ranking. They name who comes first in the official report, not who comes third or fourth.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Ms needs to do something , they're clearly on Shaker ground with the xsx, maybe they'll try a 360 and launch next gen early, all they'd have to do is rebrand a pro style device, but boy that'd be desperate
This would kill them. A new gen with PS5 as the main platform would see this next gen Xbox as useless. And they would still have the same problem they have now: the games are not ready. They were not ready for 2020. And now they have a showcase to prove us that they do have the games now. A new gen, when this one have yet to begun? This would really be weird. They would gain a lot by being early for next gen. But that would need a lot of sacrifices. I hope that they do this, as this would push third parties to make next gen games a little earlier than if they do not try it. But this is for in a few years.

The Xbox sales are weak, but not that weak. This is not a Wii U situation. They can continue to a 50 millions consoles sold by the end of the gen, and more than that if they do succeed in their plan of 1 AAA game each quarter. But this would be if nothing else happen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pent up, demand March burnt through it and caught up to ps4 in the us, every country that provides numbers has seen a substantial month over month drop for ps5, expect solid ps5 performance for the rest of the year since a 30% drop from record breaking is still excellent
but I think the record breaking is over, and I bet sony is going to end up lowering their forecast to about 22 million

If the PS5 has maxed out already in year 3 then they need to focus on releasing big exclusives fast. FF16 and Spiderman 2 are a good start, but I suspect they will need a lot more of those system sellers next year if they have already hit their peak sales. especially since they are fast approaching 50 million sales and will have to reduce prices to go after the price conscious gamer soon.

I have to imagine that a $299 slim the month spiderman comes out is going to break records all over again. Thats that casual game for Sony that will bring the kids and the soccer moms. the hardcore have already bought in by now.

Deerock71

Yeah, Zelda might make the Switch the king of sales for a (jaw-dropping) 7 years running. People will look back on this like they will (love him or hate him) look at Tom Brady's career and HAVE to concede GOATness.

onQ123

It's not a misdirection, it's the truth. That's the way they write things and has been for a long time, using the term "other platforms" rather than listing them all out.

For example, this is what they said about software in Jan 2019:

“Double-digit percentage software sales growth on the Nintendo Switch platform was offset by declines across all other platforms.”

Do you think that he avoided mentioning PS4, Xbox One and 3DS by name because he wanted to avoid getting on the bad side of Sony, Microsift and Nintendo?

The reports always focus on the leading platforms. When the PS5 was the only console growing, they didn't mention either Switch nor Xbox Series by name. It wasn't to avoid shining a light on Nintendo and Microsoft.

Same with their hardware units and revenue ranking. They name who comes first in the official report, not who comes third or fourth.
Which would be the companies that are not doing so good

Luigi Mario

Switch sells very well but it hasn't been the best selling for 7 years straight, various other platforms have outsold it at different times.
Maybe the Switch successsor will launch later than expected, we will have to see if they are going to ride out the next year.

Last edited:
If the PS5 has maxed out already in year 3 then they need to focus on releasing big exclusives fast. FF16 and Spiderman 2 are a good start, but I suspect they will need a lot more of those system sellers next year if they have already hit their peak sales. especially since they are fast approaching 50 million sales and will have to reduce prices to go after the price conscious gamer soon.

I have to imagine that a $299 slim the month spiderman comes out is going to break records all over again. Thats that casual game for Sony that will bring the kids and the soccer moms. the hardcore have already bought in by now.

What are you talking about? None of this is the current situation. You asked why Switch led in hardware units and several people brought up the Zelda OLED Switch model launching in April as a reason why. People getting ready for TotK in the following month is probably also a factor. It happens; anyone thinking Switch was never going to lead in units sold this year in scattershot/select months was being foolish.

But taking PS5 being #2 in units for April as a sign they've already peaked in sales or they need to dash to focusing on exclusives almost out of desperation is an equally foolish conclusion. Consoles that have 7-8 year lifecycles generally don't hit their peaks until around 2/3 of the way through the lifecycle. Clearly, we are not at that point yet for PS5 (or Xbox Series, for that matter). They (Sony) have had record-breaking sales after a price increase; there is little to no reason for a price cut until I'd say Fall 2024.

I also think you're too focused on Sony wanting to simply break records; a $299 Spiderman 2 PS5 Slim bundle would break records, sure, but just for a specific period of time. And, at the expense of losing money on the hardware and leaving a lot of revenue on the table. It's a bad strategy for the long-term health of the platform; a Spiderman 2 bundle with the current prices would be enough to have the same record-breaking hardware sales and without bleeding on hardware revenue at that.

Would not expect price cuts or any bundles like the one you mentioned until 2024/2025 (a price cut first, but probably by $50 not $100).

Last edited:

fermcr

Who even claims Phil is doing a good job lives in fantasy land.
Microsoft needs someone that actually understands the gaming business in front of the Xbox division.

Switch is something else. We are witnessing a history about this console.
If it reaches 150+m, that would be the most epic flex move ever.
Idk. It's super impressive, but getting there just means they strung the generation out as long as possible. The console is already in its 7th year.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Who even claims Phil is doing a good job lives in fantasy land.
Microsoft needs someone that actually understands the gaming business in front of the Xbox division.
It could be worse. There is rumors that Microsoft wanted to end the Xbox division at some point. And for all of their advantages Microsoft, or more precisely their culture is also part of the problem. A new CEO could be worse than Phil. A lot worse. We will see.

Yeah, Zelda might make the Switch the king of sales for a (jaw-dropping) 7 years running. People will look back on this like they will (love him or hate him) look at Tom Brady's career and HAVE to concede GOATness.

King of hardware sales? Nintendo did their forecast the other week for the fiscal year iirc it was only 15m and half the sales nerds doubt they'll sell that.

Very good numbers for a 7th year or whatever that forecast would be.

I think Sony forecast 25m although similarly I may have pulled that number out of my barse.

Deerock71

King of hardware sales? Nintendo did their forecast the other week for the fiscal year iirc it was only 15m and half the sales nerds doubt they'll sell that.

Very good numbers for a 7th year or whatever that forecast would be.

I think Sony forecast 25m although similarly I may have pulled that number out of my barse.
Oh, yeah, the Switch is the dark horse to bet on for sure this year, and to be clear, there is not a hint of sarcasm in this sentence. In order to make it happen, Nintendo would have to do some maneuvering; a killer app like Tears of the Kingdom is definitely one of those measures.

Oh cool, 3D World back to the listing. Movie doing a great work for their games.
That game could benefit the most from the movie, Mario Odyssey at over 25 million is already very high but 3D World at 11.4 million has a lot of room to grow on Switch.

Woopah

Which would be the companies that are not doing so good
Not necessarily. When Switch is in 2nd or 3rd it doesn't get mentioned, but that doesn't mean its "not doing good"

Its not an approach meant to protect any particular company. If PS5 had comes 2nd in units and revenue that would not have been mentioned in the official release either.
Maybe the Switch successsor will launch than expected, we will have to see if they are going to ride out next year.
I don't expect Switch 2 to launch this year, but Switch will still sell less than PS5 this year outside of East Asia.

Luigi Mario

Not necessarily. When Switch is in 2nd or 3rd it doesn't get mentioned, but that doesn't mean its "not doing good"

Its not an approach meant to protect any particular company. If PS5 had comes 2nd in units and revenue that would not have been mentioned in the official release either.

I don't expect Switch 2 to launch this year, but Switch will still sell less than PS5 this year outside of East Asia.
Just corrected my post before you replied, but definitely agree with the Switch successor not launching this year.

Really happy to see Jedi doing well. Fallen order was a shockingly fun surprise and the sequel seems to really improve on a lot of aspects.

"shortages"

eBay UK has a shit load of people selling them way under MSRP as another example.

Yeh it's clearly not shortages, which has not been the reason since the turn of the year.
Even before that, Xbox Series started losing steam markedly in October when sales were lower than anticipated, Xbox One at the 1st half of its life used to sell decent the Holiday months.

Top Bottom