• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) September 2023: #1 Starfield #2 Mortal Kombat 1 #3 EA FC24; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, XBS #2 Units + Revenue

Three

The Xbox business has moved to an ecosystem where the console is no longer the exclusive key. Wherever Game Pass is available is their new model.
Too much talking, not enough avatar changing

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It completely flopped as a system seller for Xbox. It certainly is not a Zelda or Spiderman.

Did it increase the Steam user base maybe? Congratulations to Valve I guess?

BTW I'm glad that you guys are participating in sales threads again. We didn't see you for a very long time. I hope you stay for next month as well :p

is it so alien to you that people can be happy for sales success for both Starfield/Xbox and Spiderman 2 / PlayStation?

I would wait until the results are out before calling Spiderman-2 a major system seller. I do expect it to help sell systems though.

Nah. Spider man 2 will undoubtedly be a massive system seller.

For console sales what do xbox even have coming that can change things?

Can't see abk drops on GP moving the needle much.

Hellblade? Avowed?

Next year is gonna just as brutal as this year.

your problem is you’re too fixated on console hardware warz. ‘Change things’ from a Microsoft perspective would be to improve Xbox sales and gaming revenue, and it’s well known that a steady stream of first party games and hardware revisions does the trick .

you seem to think that selling worse than PlayStation = failure.

Xbox isn’t going to outsell PlayStation this gen. That ship has sailed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This forum and this thread is about videogames, we don't care about Microsoft pocket... We should talk about Xbox as a console and as a brand....

And guess what? In both cases, it's completely irrelevant at this point....

But I guess the green fans are all PC gamers now, LOL....

"This forum is about video games, now look at my attempt to discredit the sales of a video game from one of the two platforms it was on"

boo this man, boo . :messenger_ghost:

Jason Bateman GIF by MOODMAN

This is why I don't make avatar bets lol

Last edited:
Halo Infinite debuted at number 2 and it fell to number 18 the following month, I wonder if SF will still be in the top 10 for the next report.

KingT731

Pretty good for Starfield. I do, however, wonder if they count the "digital gamepass upgrade" as a game sale even though you don't own the game if you cancel the subscription?

[Sigma]

No surprise at no.1(Starfield). The coming months will tell more about it than this month though.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Pretty good for Starfield. I do, however, wonder if they count the "digital gamepass upgrade" as a game sale even though you don't own the game if you cancel the subscription?

The stats in OP specifically state Full Digital Games, the game pass upgrade was an add-on, not a full game.

I doubt it gets counted here.

The Deluxe versions that also come with it, those probably do, since that's the full game package.

Starfield didn’t move any hardware for Xbox. They spent so much on this game only to still get beat by PS5 on its launch month. Sales are good thanks to PC but then again we’ll have to wait to see how much legs it has going forward as I don’t think it’s going to maintain the momentum it had at launch in the following months.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Hmmm. I said I wasn't doing any more avatar bets after the madness of that Ragnarok one.

This would have been tempting tho.

FlyyGOD

Starfield didn’t move any hardware for Xbox. They spent so much on this game only to still get beat by PS5 on its launch month. Sales are good thanks to PC but then again we’ll have to wait to see how much legs it has going forward as I don’t think it’s going to maintain the momentum it had at launch in the following months.
Microsoft didn't just spend money to get Starfield after sony tried to lock it down as an exclusive. They got Doom, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Elderscrolls and all the other games in the Bethesda library. Nice try with your off base narrative. Starfield being number 1 allows kills narrative of gamepass killing game sales.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

PS5 outselling Xbox on its biggest month of the year by basically 200k.
PS5... sold virtually half a MILLION in the USA alone in September without a single game release.

October will be... interesting.
It definitely will be.

I wouldn't be too sure of that with Mario releasing the same day.
I'm not so sure either. It could be close, but I'm more curious about how much SMBW will boost Switch hardware in October and November.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It definitely will be.

I'm not so sure either. It could be close, but I'm more curious about how much Mario Wonder will boost Switch hardware in October and November.
Doubt it will do that much to push the hardware. This is going to mostly sell to existing fan base. If folks didn't get a Switch by now, a new 2D Mario game isn't going to push many people over.

adamsapple

I think we can make some safe bets for the rest of the year.

October: SM2 (Mario probably a close second)
November: CoD
December: Liklely either CoD continued, unless Avatar is a huge surprise hit.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Microsoft didn't just spend money to get Starfield after sony tried to lock it down as an exclusive. They got Doom, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Elderscrolls and all the other games in the Bethesda library. Nice try with your off base narrative. Starfield being number 1 allows kills narrative of gamepass killing game sales.
it’s not a narrative when Microsoft themselves said so in court, as much as that fact seems to pain you

It actually doesn’t. The game’s sales were carried by PC where most PC gamers like myself still prefer to own games. Also, winning one month where there weren’t any major releases doesn’t tell the whole story. I’d wait to see subsequent months before proclaiming victory. The game had plenty of hype around launch and lots of players but it has since dropped off on Steam player count. Bethesda games in the past had legs but I don’t think this game has nearly the amount of legs previous games had.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Starfield is not #1 though. Baldur's Gate 3 is likely at the top, but it's not appearing on charts.

Even then, it is #1 for just September (after launching on September 1st and having the entire 30-day period) in only one market (US). Overall, it could not even crack the top 5 list and is pretty much set to be out of top 10 by EOY.

More importantly, it couldn't sell more consoles or increase subscription.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Starfield is not #1 though. Baldur's Gate 3 is likely at the top, but it's not appearing on charts.

Even then, it is #1 for just September (after launching on September 1st and having the entire 30-day period) in only one market (US). Overall, it could not even crack the top 5 list and is pretty much set to be out of top 10 by EOY.

Baldurs Gate #2 and Startfield #3 behind CS

Looks like Baldurs Gate flopped on PS5. Sad!

At it again I see, it's time to realise you are wrong.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Since you have inside information please post the Baldur's Gate 3 numbers for September.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Baldurs Gate #2 and Startfield #3 behind CS

Looks like Baldurs Gate flopped on PS5. Sad!

lol how did you come to that conclusion? He is not even talking about PS5 here. It's only Steam numbers he is talking about.

Here is PSN data as far as PS5 numbers go.

EU7oYbi.jpg

But the important point here is that BG3 most likely has higher sales than Starfield in September, but it's not being tracked.

adamsapple

lol how did you come to that conclusion? He is not even talking about PS5 here. It's only Steam numbers he is talking about

Matt:
In September, according to Circana's Player Engagement Tracker, Baldur's Gate III ranked 2nd in player engagement on Steam (monthly % of panel playing), behind only Counter-Strike 2. Starfield ranked 3rd. On PS5, Baldur's Gate III ranked 20th in the same metric.

🤷‍♂️

But the important point here is that BG3 most likely has higher sales than Starfield in September, but it's not being tracked.

Eddie Murphy Yes GIF

Of course.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

Every time man, every time.

ghiRv9c.jpg
How is switch 2nd place when it's actually #1 ? Isn't switch right now has sold more than ps4 and ps5 world wide ? also nintendo has the higher rated games on Metacritic 97+ than other companies?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Matt:

🤷‍♂️

Eddie Murphy Yes GIF

Of course.

Are you ok?

“Downloads”

EU7oYbi.jpg

Steam?

29 Aug — 5 September 2023

#1 Starfield
#3 Baldurs Gate 3

5 Sep — 12 September 2023

#1 Starfield
#3 Baldurs Gate 3

12 Sep — 19 September 2023

#3 Baldurs Gate 3
#4 Starfield

19 Sep — 26 September

#7 Baldurs Gate 3
#12 Starfield

26 Sep — 3 October 2023

#5 Baldurs Gate 3
#13 Starfield

👀

10 Oct — 17 October 2023

#5 Baldurs Gate 3
#37 Starfield

All time peak concurrent players:

Baldurs Gate 3 >870k
Starfield >330k

Last edited:

Yoboman

BG3 is missing since Larian is not sharing data with NPD. And SF ending not in top 5 on the biggest Xbox market is quite worrying.

We already know that SF doesn’t have a sales tail to support it’s ambitions. Biggest releases are only ahead of us and I’m sure after MW3, SM2 and new Mario Starfield will gradually slump out of top-10 chart.

But hey, at least some people are wild with lol emoji.
It's kinda weird how they are sharing no sales numbers?

Social proof is definitely a big incentive for people to buy. I don't think it would have done half as well if the Steam player counts weren't huge and people decided to check it out based in that

adamsapple

Are you ok?

“Downloads”

Steam?

29 Aug — 5 September 2023

#1 Starfield
#3 Baldurs Gate 3

5 Sep — 12 September 2023

#1 Starfield
#3 Baldurs Gate 3

12 Sep — 19 September 2023

#3 Baldurs Gate 3
#4 Starfield

19 Sep — 26 September

#7 Baldurs Gate 3
#12 Starfield

26 Sep — 3 October 2023

#5 Baldurs Gate 3
#13 Starfield

👀

10 Oct — 17 October 2023

#5 Baldurs Gate 3
#37 Starfield

All time peak concurrent players:

Baldurs Gate 3 >870k
Starfield >330k

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Take it up with Mat from Circana.

BG3 was #20 on PS5 and Starfield is the #1 reported game for September, no point in trying to make phantom comparisons with something we don't have data for.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Take it up with Mat from Circana.

BG3 was #20 on PS5 and Starfield is the #1 reported game for September, no point in trying to make phantom comparisons with something we don't have data for.

you're comparing 2 different metrics. player engagement vs sales. i have no reason to think these are the same things under whatever definition Matt is using given that we know Baldur's gate 3 was the #2 most downloaded game.

i should've read closer he clearly says "monthly % of panel playing"

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
You're both right :pie_relieved:
Baldur's gate 3 probably did sell more according to download stats, but also player engagement (whatever that means) is not as high as it is for those other games.
I don't know, if we've learned anything from engagement threads discussion of player engagement means low sales, otherwise companies would be shouting their sales numbers from the mountaintops.

GHG

How is switch 2nd place when it's actually #1 ? Isn't switch right now has sold more than ps4 and ps5 world wide ? also nintendo has the higher rated games on Metacritic 97+ than other companies?

Bold: wrong

As for the rest:

YTD Units: PS5 > NSW > XBS
YTD Revenue: PS5 > NSW > XBS

If we were to make the meme accurate based on the monthly data then Xbox would be celebrating wildly in second place. Feel free to make it.

Top Bottom