• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines II pre-release benchmarks show RTX3080 at 24 fps... on 1080p

Cities: Skylines II (pre-release)​
1080p "high"​
1440p "high"​
GeForce RTX 4090 (Gigabyte Gaming OC)​
38.1 fps​
28.8 fps​
Radeon RX 7900 XT (Sapphire Pulse)​
34.4 fps​
22.8 fps​
GeForce RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X Trio)​
24.4 fps​
16.3 fps​
Radeon RX 6700 XT (XFX Merc 319 Black)​
18.3 fps​
11.0 fps​

Apparently not even a 4090 gets 60 fps at 1080p

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That Sucks Lance Barber GIF by CBS

Klik

Wtf.. It doesnt even look graphically good at all. RTX 4090 should run this game at 150fps+

StereoVsn

You all don’t get it. 3080 is fulfilling their creative vision and is providing a cinematic experience at 24fps. 😉

What a shit show. I expected issues, but this is just terrible. And the game is still getting decent scores from reviewers.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
2006179052.png

I don't understand why publishers are so determined push unfinished games out that need many more months in the oven. The bad press a (very) poor performing game gets will cost them so many sales that it's going to hurt the bottom line much more than a delayed release.

SHA

I get it, I get it, it may get under your skin but you need rtx 4090 for that, I mean visually.

Kadve

Heads up. The devs are fully aware off this. But this all the yare saying.

“We still think for the long-term of the project, releasing now is the best way forward,” the developer said. “We are proud of the unique gameplay and features in Cities: Skylines 2, and we genuinely believe that it offers a great experience that you will enjoy.”
Though with the console ports being delayed it makes me wonder if booth Microsoft and Sony told them off because of it. They still do stuff like that right?

Last edited:

SimTourist

I don't even know what the dev's plan is when they release a game that won't run on an average PC. You're just telling most of your potential customers to fuck off at that point.

StereoVsn

2006179052.png

I don't understand why publishers are so determined push unfinished games out that need many more months in the oven. The bad press a (very) poor performing game gets will cost them so many sales that it's going to hurt the bottom line much more than a delayed release.
Game should have come out in EA. Then they could take the time to test it with folks and fix the issues while at least getting some revenue.

Full on release in this state is short sighted and dumb. Which kind of describes a lot of Paradox’s moves lately.

//DEVIL//

I mean,,, it's understandable. Did you see how awesome the graphics are ? Even the 4090 can't handle these PS2 graphics.

Could it be they made the game run on cpu and gpu is just a cheerleading?

I mean c'mon guys, give these shitty, need to be fired asap, and not to be allowed to touch a keyboard and mouse ever again a break

Last edited:

poodaddy

I would imagine a game like this is much more CPU dependent than GPU, though I can't be sure as I've never played this one. In general though, simulation games are much more CPU dependent, so mentioning GPU performance without information on the CPU leaves some valuable context out.

Still though, the game might just be in a piss poor state. Not taking up for it, just informing.

Last edited:
It has definitely also something to do with the genre. I play Transport Fever 2 from time to time and it is often around 20fps.

First, these games try to simulate complex cities/worlds, where many things need to be processed, even when the player isn’t looking at it. So, in contrast to games like GTA, which also simulates a world, they cannot randomly spawn vehicles/people, who have no real target destination. There are thousands of these individuals, the game needs to process and keep track of.

And, also in contrast to games like GTA: their budget is a joke in comparison.

I haven’t played Cities: Skylines, but I can imagine that these type of games share the same problems.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yep, they subtly tried warning everyone that their game was unoptimized as fuck, to soften the blow. But holy shit, who expected it to be this bad?!

That “this is a next gen game” horseshit doesn’t fly. Was there a mass talent exodus or something? I hope we reach a point where AI can optimize our games, so we’re done with these inept clowns.

Game should have come out in EA. Then they could take the time to test it with folks and fix the issues while at least getting some revenue.

Full on release in this state is short sighted and dumb. Which kind of describes a lot of Paradox’s moves lately.
Paradox is Swedish, while Colossal Order (the developer) is Finnish. Guess they're just under the same arrangement as it was during the Swedish Empire. 😜 /s

whyman

Yikes, yea they messed up this time. My 3070 was going to last me this gen. No reason for it not to, it’s a powerful card. Won’t buy it unless they fix performance.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It has definitely also something to do with the genre. I play Transport Fever 2 from time to time and it is often around 20fps.

First, these games try to simulate complex cities/worlds, where many things need to be processed, even when the player isn’t looking at it. So, in contrast to games like GTA, which also simulates a world, they cannot randomly spawn vehicles/people, who have no real target destination. There are thousands of these individuals, the game needs to process and keep track of.

A complex simulation game can indeed max out a CPU. When a game is CPU limited, it won't matter what graphics card you use and/or how high the resolution, the frame rate will always be limited by what the CPU is capable of. But in this case CS2 is heavily GPU bottlenecked: the framerate goes down when you raise the resolution.

killatopak

Stop blaming the devs. I saw somewhere where they knew it was performance heavy and need of more work and even let the community know about it but the pubs wanted to release it anyway.

Top Bottom