• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines II pre-release benchmarks show RTX3080 at 24 fps... on 1080p

Buggy Loop

What is happening with devs...

Computer Working GIF

This atrocious performance is simply inexcusable. The thing is that Colossal Order is never good at optimization, as CS1 ran poorly as well and is very inefficient in the way it handles assets.

And then you read the copium gang defending this shit. When the dev diaries and preview gameplay came out, there were people voicing concerns about performance. First its' the usual "it's a beta build", then it became "stop criticizing the game! you are being toxic!!". Now that the benchmarks are out, it has devolved into "i don't need 60fps for a city sim!!"

clarky

Gold Member
If it rums this shitty you can pretty much bank on it being full of bugs as well.

Hard pass, will check it out in 12 months.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is absolutely brutal. I am sure there is more going on behind the scenes but it doesn't even look a generation ahead of CS1.

DaGwaphics

Now that the benchmarks are out, it has devolved into "i don't need 60fps for a city sim!!"

Well, I can go with that, I really can't see where 30/60 makes much of a difference for this type of game (obviously higher is better though). However, I was hoping for a solid 30 with decent visuals at a minimum from XSX, that's looking dicey if PC performance is anything to go by. Visuals aren't exactly spectacular in this video either. Here's to hoping they can refine things or this is another case of the Nvidia driver team asleep at the wheel. How is this performing on AMD?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, I can go with that, I really can't see where 30/60 makes much of a difference for this type of game (obviously higher is better though). However, I was hoping for a solid 30 with decent visuals at a minimum from XSX, that's looking dicey if PC performance is anything to go by. Visuals aren't exactly spectacular in this video either. Here's to hoping they can refine things or this is another case of the Nvidia driver team asleep at the wheel. How is this performing on AMD?
They had to delay the game on console, and this is obviously the reason why. It's not even close to finished and they should be embarrassed releasing it in this state.

GladiusFrog

So my 7700k GTX 1080 probably will manage 3fps on lowest resolution and settings?

Maybe I'm mistaken but I remember reading somewhere that the devs said this game was better optimized then the first Skylines.

Oh well, Back to SimCity4 and first Cities Skylines.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Sorry but you have to be a complete moron to pre-order this.

A big fuck you to the pre-orders because you're the reason why games like this are released in this state.

Minsc

Gold Member
Assuming it is not running some form of 16x super-sampling AA effectively resulting in a 20k resolution downsampling to 1080p, I simply don't understand why anyone would ever develop a game thinking this is ok anymore.

Three

cause games are just graphics right? the devs said it was being released in a way they werent happy with, im sure it will improve.
If we're talking about a game taxing a graphics card then

dumb-and-dumber-uh.gif

Unless it's bottlenecked by something else.

Laieon

As someone who has said for months now that this is one of my most anticipated games of the year, this is incredibly disappointing. I absolutely adored the first game. There's a certain irony of the company that arguably saved the city building genre after Sim City 2013 releasing a piece of garbage like Skylines II is in it's current state.

I'll wait a year and hope for the best I guess. Between Spider-Man 2, Age of Empire IV's upcoming expansion, and a bunch of other games I haven't completed yet, it's not like I'm short on stuff to play.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Delayed on consoles, released on PC. I wonder if Game Pass had anything to download with it since either was a launch title.

egocrata

Banned
For most of these games, the image quality difference between medium and ultra is negligible. They are never lookers, and ultra settings just overdo effects like depth of field or fog for little gain. They are also REALLY CPU limited, not GPU. And they don’t need to be above 30 fps mins to feel good. They are slow games.

Transport Fever 2 is the most brutal game out there, by the way. On a big world it brings ANY PC to its knees.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
2006179052.png

I don't understand why publishers are so determined push unfinished games out that need many more months in the oven. The bad press a (very) poor performing game gets will cost them so many sales that it's going to hurt the bottom line much more than a delayed release.
In other words,

Why are you releasing the game if you have performance issues?
Because we are fuck ups and need the cash flow.

Will everyone experience performance issues?
Yup.

Is there anything I can do if I experience performance issues at launch?
Nope. Wait for the patch suckers. But hey, thanks for being an early adopter.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe I'm mistaken but I remember reading somewhere that the devs said this game was better optimized then the first Skylines.
I dont know if devs ever said this, but never believe devs for anything. They will always say their new game looks better, sounds better, has better AI, more polished etc....

There isn't one dev on Earth that will ever be honest saying their new game kind of sucks... at least not in the near term.

The only time you get a honest answer is when a game site does a Q&A session and the dev talks about an old game 10 years ago nobody cares about anymore. Maybe, just maybe the guy will open up and say ya it sucked. But they wont say anything bad with their new or recent games.

Top Bottom