• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clashes have broken out in Syria between two of the most powerful insurgent groups

Clashes have broken out in northwestern Syria between two of the most powerful insurgent groups there raising fears of widespread violence in the rebel-held province of Idlib, the groups and an opposition monitor said Saturday.

The fighting between the ultraconservative Ahrar al-Sham and the al-Qaida-linked Hay’at Tahrir al Sham — Arabic for Levant Liberation Committee — that is also known as HTS, are the first serious acts of violence since both sides reached a truce in February. Wider clashes between the two former allies could affect their fight against President Bashar Assad’s forces who have been gaining ground over the past year under the cover of Russian airstrikes.

Idlib has taken on greater significance in Syria’s civil war as opposition fighters and militants head, or are driven, there from the country’s central and northern regions.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...50d5b6-6974-11e7-94ab-5b1f0ff459df_story.html

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That chinless murderer has created a global nightmare and destroyed his own country forever. Even if the "cease fire" actually leads to peace, it will be peace in a country ruined forever and firmly established as a base of operations for extremists. Oh and a proxy for Russian saber rattling.

Brilliant.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So they are fighting over the right who will be leading their part of the country when they are annihilated? As bad as Assad is - he is still the lesser of two evils. Trumps move against delivering weapons to rebels is the first smart thing he (or any US president for decades) has done regarding foreign policy. Until now it felt like they have learnt nothing from Afghanistan (supporting the fight against Russia ended up creating the Taliban), Iran (supporting the fight against them created Saddam Hussein), Iraq (supporting the fight against him created ISIS) or Venezuela (supporting to overthrow Chavez led to the mess that exists today). I am sure there are more examples where US intervention made things worse (as in multiplied the number of killed people by 1000 over what existed before). Mostly because the country with the biggest military budget also has the most military contractors. The US love to sell their guns, and then they sell even more guns trying to clean up the mess.

That chinless murderer has created a global nightmare and destroyed his own country forever. Even if the "cease fire" actually leads to peace, it will be peace in a country ruined forever and firmly established as a base of operations for extremists. Oh and a proxy for Russian saber rattling.

Brilliant.

Atleast some good things are happening like ISIS being defeated and the CIA no longer funneling weapons into the country. But yes, the country is going to nead billions and decades to rebuild.

So they are fighting over the right who will be leading their part of the country when they are annihilated? As bad as Assad is - he is still the lesser of two evils. Trumps move against delivering weapons to rebels is the first smart thing he (or any US president for decades) has done regarding foreign policy. Until now it felt like they have learnt nothing from Afghanistan (supporting the fight against Russia ended up creating the Taliban), Iran (supporting the fight against them created Saddam Hussein), Iraq (supporting the fight against him created ISIS) or Venezuela (supporting to overthrow Chavez led to the mess that exists today). I am sure there are more examples where US intervention made things worse (as in multiplied the number of killed people by 1000 over what existed before). Mostly because the country with the biggest military budget also has the most military contractors. The US love to sell their guns, and then they sell even more guns trying to clean up the mess.

I hate to say this but pretty sure ISIS hasn't killed anywhere close to the amount of people Assad has had murdered. People need to stop using the lesser of the two evils thing with Assad because he is still pure evil.

It is just easiest of a lot of complicated options letting him be.

ZiZ

Aren't they both sunni/salafi groups with nearly identical beliefs? I know the higher-ups probably don't give two shits about religion, but how do they justify it to the peons?

Assad is not the lesser of any evil. He's a mass murderer piece of shit who has massacred his people in response to protests for democracy. As for intervention, i don't know what the answer is, but i don't think it's to sit back and watch this piece of shit gas his people into oblivion.

Syria is such a fucked up place. Wouldn't be surprised if everybody who was even involved in the original protests years ago are now dead. These rebel groups are shit, the whole thing has gone to shit all around.

Aren't they both sunni/salafi groups with nearly identical beliefs? I know the higher-ups probably don't give two shits about religion, but how do they justify it to the peons?

They will claim the others are tools of the Jews and Imperialist Crusader Americans.

Oh, there's always new reasons to kill someone. don't worry about running out of that. If you really need to you can just make a new denomination/movement. Religion is always live.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Brilliant.

And he'll still be president. Don't think that he cared for anything else, because he's done what he set himself out to when doing all this shit.

The "lesser of two evils" fostered these extremists and freed them into other countries. The guy has been pretty much helping ISIS grow so he could legitimize his civil war and delegitimize his rivals. He accomplished what he wanted indeed, when people like you call him that.

EDIT: Also, I want to know how the US helping throw out Chavez led towards today. No one forced Chavez to double down on oil as the only way to stimulate the economy, and no one forced him to not reduce the corruption that has helped destroy their country today.

Top Bottom