• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Grand Jury Subpeonas Issued in Trump/Russia Investigation

Now breaking on CNN

Washington (CNN)Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn seeking business records, as part of the ongoing probe of Russian meddling in last year's election, according to people familiar with the matter. CNN learned of the subpoenas hours before President Donald Trump fired FBI director James Comey.

The subpoenas represent the first sign of a significant escalation of activity in the FBI's broader investigation begun last July into possible ties between Trump campaign associates and Russia.
The subpoenas issued in recent weeks by the US Attorney's Office in Alexandria, Virginia, were received by associates who worked with Flynn on contracts after he was forced out as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in 2014, according to the people familiar with the investigation.
Robert Kelner, an attorney for Flynn, declined to comment. The US Attorney's Office in Alexandria, the Justice Department and the FBI also declined to comment.

Tagg9

Before everyone exaggerates the importance of this, these are subpoenas related to Flynn. Nothing to do with Trump (for now).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
oprahgif.gif

Tagg9

Who served as National Security Advisor to Trump.

How does this have nothing to do with Trump?

Of course it's related insofar that Trump nominated Flynn as his National Security Advisor. I was attempting to make a statement to clarify that these are not subpoenas relating to how Trump is mixed up in the Russia scandal but is solely focused on Flynn's actions (which is what many people in the other thread assumed was happening and jumped the gun).

shem935

Banned
So just to reiterate the timeline is like this. Trump bitches on twitter for a week about how he is totally innocent----->Grand Jury Subpoenas information about flynn's business ties to russia----->Trump lawyers up to dispel rumors of business ties to russia----->fires comey----->Deputy press secretary goes on tv and says it's time to forget about the investigation.

studyguy

Before everyone exaggerates the importance of this, these are subpoenas related to Flynn. Nothing to do with Trump (for now).

Flynn was hired by the administration despite what we now know as repeated warnings of vulnerabilities to appointing him via Yates, that's ignoring the fact that he was let go from the Pentagon under Obama as well.

KHarvey16

Of course it's related insofar that Trump nominated Flynn as his National Security Advisor. I was attempting to make a statement to clarify that these are not subpoenas relating to how Trump is mixed up in the Russia scandal but is solely focused on Flynn's actions (which is what many people in the other thread assumed was happening and jumped the gun).

Flynn's relationship with Russia is a fundamental piece of Trump's relationship with Russia.

Koomaster

So sometime during today, these subpoenas went out, Trump hired a lawyer, then fired Comey?

Can somebody who is good at puzzles help me fit all these pieces together because I feel they mean something.

Saw this coming when Comey was fired. Really glad it's starting now and not weeks/months from now... saved me some stomach ulcers worrying if Claude Taylor and co. were right.

All of this happening at the same time is glorious. The disconnect between the Whitehouse and the rest of Washington.

Going to be a fun week.

So just to reiterate the timeline is like this. Trump bitches on twitter for a week about how he is totally innocent----->Grand Jury Subpoenas information about flynn's business ties to russia----->Trump lawyers up to dispel rumors of business ties to russia----->fires comey----->Deputy press secretary goes on tv and says it's time to forget about the investigation.

Just as I thought, nothing to see

mackaveli

wasn't rumblings of this posted on twitter a couple of days ago but people said the source wasn't to be trusted?

I might be wrong though

Tagg9

Flynn's relationship with Russia is a fundamental piece of Trump's relationship with Russia.

Obviously, but so far there is no hint within this news story that any of these subpoenas can directly tie Trump to Flynn and his dealings with Russia.

Look, I understand that you guys want to assume the best case scenario but there's no point in getting ahead of ourselves.

JoeBoy101

Huh. I wonder if firing Comey has anything to do with this...

Nah.

#ConspiracyTheories

Come on, they are two separate events... hours between one another... both involving the FBI Director (sorry, Former)... and Trump's ties to Russia.

NOTHING in common.

This has everything to do with Trump due to his ties to Flynn. This is how it starts.

Trump wanted Flynn as VP at one point.

If they got this far they definitely have something.

KHarvey16

Obviously, but so far there is no hint within this news story that any of these subpoenas can directly tie Trump to Flynn and his dealings with Russia.

Look, I understand that you guys want to assume the best case scenario but there's no point in getting ahead of ourselves.

How does a subpoena tie anyone to anything? That doesn't make sense.

The Trump-Russia story can't be told without Flynn. The fact the investigation into him has produced these subpoenas is absolutely relevant to Trump and the suspicions regarding his and his campaign's ties to Russia.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Exactly. As much it may seem obvious that if Flynn was involved, Trump likely was too, they need to prove without a shadow of a doubt that Trump was involved before anything happens. However, at the very least, I hope some justice is served against anyone who committed treason in his campaign/administration.

Top Bottom