• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Russia apologized after Russian jet performed barrel roll over US plane in Syria

A Russian fighter jet recently conducted an "unprofessional" intercept of a US KC-10 tanker aircraft in the skies over Syria, prompting Russian officers to apologize, Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Harrigian told reporters at the Pentagon Wednesday.

A US military official told CNN that the incident took place approximately two weeks ago and that the Russian fighter had performed a "barrel roll" over the US plane. The official added that the US assesses the pilot was acting on his own initiative in performing the action.

"We had one incident where there was an intercept they ran that I would categorize as unprofessional, and we called them on it and expressed our concern," Harrigian said, adding, "they came back, quite frankly, and apologized for that particular intercept."

The US military is prohibited by law from coordinating directly with the Russian military, but given the increased pace and scale of military operations in Syria, the US and Russia have sought ways to ensure that their respective personnel are not targeted by mistake, setting up a series of "de-confliction zones" that would delineate areas of operation for the coalition and the Russian forces.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/25/politics/russia-us-aircraft-barrel-roll/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is just asking for memes, Top Gun gifs or hopefully, both.

Meanwhile at the Kremlin

sE3lfq6_d.webp

CHC

They apologize for THIS?

I mean, like, fine.... but of all the shit they've done recently, this is actually kind of the coolest thing....

Irnbru

That's far more boring than it sounds. Call me when it does a barrel roll over a us fighter jet. This is akin to jumping over a dead log and celebrating.

Does anybody on this board have the professional familiarity with the subject matter to determine if this showboating is actually harmful in any way and something we should expect an apology for? It's a fuxking barrel roll. I admittedly have no clue about this shit but I don't see the big deal.

MGrant

Does anybody on this board have the professional familiarity with the subject matter to determine if this showboating is actually harmful in any way and something we should expect an apology for? It's a fuxking barrel roll. I admittedly have no clue about this shit but I don't see the big deal.

Flying is fucking dangerous if you're not following the plan. Plus the pilot was treating a hundred-million-dollar death machine like a toy. I'd expect at least an apology for that.

Irnbru

It did a risky maneuver ( because of vision/stalling potential and other such factors ) over a giant slow flying gas tank with a large crew. A KC-10 wouldn't be that manuerable and wouldn't probably change path suddenly, but if it had altered trajectory that the Russian pilot would not have anticipated, kaboom. Think of it that way.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's normal that the country who controls the US, show it's military superiority via barrel rolls. It's the natural order.

Hex

Banned
US Pilot gets teabagged by Russian counter part.
Soviet pilot "I...didn't know I couldn't do that"

Top Bottom