• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Senate rejects full Obamacare repeal without replacement

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Still a few more hurdles before this mess is finished either way. Skinny repeal has a real shot at getting to 51, but it will be close.

flowchart_2.png

boingball

Wow, that was quite close. I wonder whether there were that many Yes because they thought it would fail.

Note that repeal and replace only got 43 votes and this complete repeal got 45 votes. Gives an indication where this is going.

And while the skimpy plan sounds like it is not as bigly as those two it probably will kill Obamacare.

Once again, more proof John McCain is a massive piece of shit. The world will be better when he finally croaks. Voting against normal procedure when he just bitched about it yesterday.

Kusagari

The second the skinny is passed by both houses and becomes law the market is effectively dead.

Insurers will run for the hills.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Skinny repeal is probably gonna pass huh

Depends on Murkowski, Collins, Heller, and if "skinny" is enough of a repeal for Paul (hopefully not, but if it's close enough he will likely vote for it.)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Indirect genocide on the poor and sick = 7 people say no and 45 say yes.

Action that leads to slightly less direct genocide on the poor and sick = Some of those 7 think it's fine.

What the fuck?

danthefan

Ok so what next, is this finally dead? Or do they find some other way to try vote on it?

Edit, asked and answered, nevermind.

So instead of "letting it fail" they're going to actively drive it into the ground with a highly publicized vote and somehow this will translate into a net positive for them in 2018?

How?

rjinaz

lol. Makes me happy to think how angry this makes Trump.

Wow, McCain got a spine???

More like they knew this wasn't going to pass so why not? They still have the skinny which will almost certainly pass and McCain will be on board, but with concerned eyes.

commedieu

Banned
So instead of "letting it fail" they're going to actively drive it into the ground with a highly publicized vote and somehow this will translate into a net positive for them in 2018?

How?

Bigots and morons(Republicans) will celebrate because they are Bigots and morons. Mexicans are stealing their jobs, and healthcare, plus they are all living under fear of constant rape. It's also teaching liberals a lesson.

How?

They haven't thought that far ahead and boy when premiums instantly go up because of their skinny repeal, just wait.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ok so what next, is this finally dead? Or do they find some other way to try vote on it?

Scroll up to Vox chart just a few posts above. This isn't over at all and we are still in tutorial phase. Final Boss fight is coming and it will be a real tough one.

Beartruck

Not a win here guys. They're going to toss literally anything up for vote and see what makes it. This is bragging about dodging a bullet when the villain still has a full clip.

Balphon

The only vote that matters is the one McConnell is going to call at the end of debate (whenever that is; I believe tomorrow or Friday).

Whether it's "Skinny Repeal" or some new, stupider idea remains to be seen.

And even if that passes we'd have to at a minimum repeat all this drama over again in the House.

How?

Opposition to the ACA is driven by conservative voters' sense of grievance more than their understanding of any particular policy. Thus, repealing the ACA will be popular even if it harms these voters. It's not an unreasonable theory.

Isn't this what the GOP want? This would essentially let the ACA collapse.

Not just the ACA. The entire insurance market.

This would be the effect. In an election year. Sharply increased premiums and even fewer options for insurers.

The GOP harped on the idea of destroying the ACA because their base liked it. They didn't actually think they'd have to actually address it as a party in power. Now that they do, they know they've put themselves into an impossible position.

Edit: But yeah, they'll try to still blame Obama for all issues and their base will reasonably believe that.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I heard a clip of McCain yelling about this on the radio a minute ago.
Just fucking die already.

The chart says that they need 60 votes for anything that wasn't scored by the CBO, so isn't everything a useless exercise at this point until the Skinny Repeal score comes in?

sangreal

Yes, but they want to do it while blaming Democrats. You can't do that after you "repeal Obamacare"

The chart says that they need 60 votes for anything that wasn't scored by the CBO, so isn't everything a useless exercise at this point until the Skinny Repeal score comes in?

they already have scores for (the major provisions of) skinny repeal

rjinaz

How?

They'll still blame it on the Democrats. Yes they let it bleed out, but they didn't directly kill it, see. Enough Americans won't care to know the difference, whether they make a spectacle of it or not. Hell they will probably play the victims when it does finally die out saying they should have went with Trump Care in the first place but they wanted to be bipartisan!

2018 is close. I doubt anybody experiences much of a change between now and then for it to lean people one way or another. On the positive Trump gets his win, they repeal ObamaCare like they promised. Sure they seem heartless but that's nothing new, people still give them their votes as long as they mention how they can save money on taxes enough times.

antonz

Watching this stuff live. Its amazing how they try to sell this shit.

Saying states where things are more expensive are leeching off the states where its not as expensive so the solution is to treat all states equal regardless of costs. Because somehow Oklahoma needs a 200% increase in funding even though they don't need it and California should get a 38% reduction to fund the increases elsewhere.

Opposition to the ACA is driven by conservative voters' sense of grievance more than their understanding of any particular policy. Thus, repealing the ACA will be popular even if it harms these voters. It's not an unreasonable theory.
Yeah the people they're pandering to with all this are so far removed from any sense of civics or policy that the theatre is all that matters. Even if the show hurts over 20 million people, including those who wanted it to happen, it'll be sooo worth it.

They will just keep tossing variations until one of them passes.
It must be comforting to know that the GOP is so concerned about the lives of Americans that their ideal healthcare is "Whatever we can get to the bare minimum of 50 votes".

This is something I don't get. How are they selling this behaviour to the voter?
It seems highly unprofessional, egoistic and self-centered.

kess

The ball is still in the Republican's court, and the skinny repeal is easy to sell. Trying to make the argument that it will collapse the health markets are for naught when conservatives have been using tax cuts to undermine the government despite its importance to economic activity.

mnannola

McConnell is such a god damn weasel.

His only goal is to get 51 votes on something. He goes around telling everyone what they want to hear about the skinny repeal:

To the far right: "Of course we aren't just going to repeal the mandate, we just need to get it back to the house first!"

To the moderates: "Of course we will find a way to not kick millions of people off of health insurance, we just need to get it back to the house first!"

He is just a snake oil salesman. Your wildest dreams will come true if you just vote yes.

Top Bottom