• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coaches run a drill used by Navy Seals, High School Football player dies as a result

cdyhybrid

Yeah, this has happened before (some college players got landed in the hospital a few months ago even) and it's ridiculous that this is still happening. It's football, not boot camp.

Not only that, but it's counter-productive. Wearing your players out in conditioning and not having them in peak condition for the actual games is the dumbest shit ever.

This was like 5 minutes away from me.

Very sad :(

Same here...feels weird as both my bro and I graduated from Sachem a few years back.

Sometimes the stuff is taken way too seriously. I played varsity roller hockey for Sachem for one year but quit after a few games because being in the military was probably easier...

Kill3r7

Those coaches should be charged. Shit like this is ridiculous. The kind of over the top masculine bullshit you see in youth football in this country is fucking toxic. What a fucking waste of a young life.

Ditto. Youth/high school football coaches want to have their junction boys Bear Bryant moment so badly that they never stop to think if it's worth it.

SEALs also undergo drownproofing. Should we get high school swim teams onto that, too?

Some coaches do. We did a variant of it nearly 20 years ago. Also required to swim at least 25 meters without taking a breadth.

To really emphasize the danger, assuming that all of these precautions were true, they went through all that effort to avoid something like this and it STILL happened.

Kids aren't old enough to consent to something like this.

Most high schools barely have enough money to pay teachers but have enough to pay coaches near six figures so they can do stupid shit like this. I hope they get arrested and the parents sue them for everything they are worth.

No public school pays coaches six figures my dads has been a coach for twenty years and does three sports and teaches all morning and barely makes 60k before taxes. These coaches are dumb though all the ones I know will be mean and make you run two miles but wouldn't make kids do something designed for navy seal.s

Navy Seals are an elite military force in the US. They are the people who killed Bin Laden. They train hard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyb2dMBHDsU

Sorry, i was asking what's a drill Specificaly, i know what navy seals are!

I searched a little more...

I thought it was a specific exercice, but turns out drill just means exercice, so that why i didn't find anything specific on google, haha! Guess i still need to learn some english!

Hahahhaha, yeah makes perfect sense to use SEALS drills/training for high school adolescents. Like for real, what the actual fuck? Not only is the drill way out of their physical class but makes no context in the realm of high school sports training.

Hahahhaha, yeah makes perfect sense to use SEALS drills/training for high school adolescents. Like for real, what the actual fuck? Not only is the drill way out of their physical class but makes no context in the realm of high school sports training.

It can't be way out of their physical class. I've seen it done and done it myself with a team of smaller dudes. Like >160lbs.

Anyway I think it's a good exercise. Could they use alternative team building exercises, yes.

It can't be way out of their physical class. I've seen it done and done it myself with a team of smaller dudes. Like >160lbs.

Anyway I think it's a good exercise. Could they use alternative team building exercises, yes.

It's a high school team doing a drill literally designed for Navy Seals. It's nonsense to use it for training let alone for bullshit team building.

It's a good exercise for Navy Seals...

This kid wasn't >160 he was >140... because he was a child.

DuffDry

100% agree. It's weird as fuck looking from the outside in at the amount of "team spirit" "masculine" bullshit that goes on in certain US high schools and then transitions to colleges. They're supposed to be places of learning.

This is very narrow thinking. You guys may not have dug sports in high school and that's fine, but to be so quick to decide that it's completely worthless and there's zero benefit or learning going on at the practice field is a an ignorant viewpoint.

The football/CTE/masculinity thing is another matter, that's mainly a cultural issue that reaches far beyond high school sports. And not to mention that not every sport out there is as contact heavy as football.

My point is no one would appreciate such emphatic dismissal of their own individual school-age passion, so don't do it others.

Don't they do those log training exercises in the navy seals because they'll need to be able to carry heavy military equipment around as a group in operational scenarios?
Not really, you can just use conventional strength training for that. It's mostly a team-building exercise -- a task that is explicitly impossible not merely for one person, but results in failure if anyone gives up or slacks off. It's certainly applicable to sports, and with the proper procedures in place there shouldn't be a safety issue. Kids this age could very well maim themselves with shop equipment or get in a car accident; the damn log ain't the problem.

The issue here is the coach. Bad implementation of a dangerous exercise by someone who probably wasn't considered by the Navy for any elite work and is now living out his Tom Clancy ammosexual fantasies through his dead-end HS coaching job.

Not really, you can just use conventional strength training for that. It's mostly a team-building exercise -- a task that is explicitly impossible not merely for one person, but results in failure if anyone gives up or slacks off. It's certainly applicable to sports, and with the proper procedures in place there shouldn't be a safety issue. Kids this age could very well maim themselves with shop equipment or get in a car accident; the damn log ain't the problem.

The issue here is the coach. Bad implementation of a dangerous exercise by someone who probably wasn't considered by the Navy for any elite work and is now living out his Tom Clancy ammosexual fantasies through his dead-end HS coaching job.

I mean the log is the problem too. It was only a matter of time that someone died.

Teenagers shouldn't be doing this period.

And cars and shop equipment weren't created for Navy Seals.

emrober5

Log exercises are not exclusive to the seals...this is an unfortunate accident, but this isn't any more dangerous than doing an something like a military press at the gym. If you dropped that on your head in could kill you too.

Log exercises are used because you have to work together. Again, an unfortunate accident but those things happen every day. Life is fragile.

This was like 5 minutes away from me.

Very sad :(
Same here...feels weird as both my bro and I graduated from Sachem a few years back.

Sometimes the stuff is taken way too seriously. I played varsity roller hockey for Sachem for one year but quit after a few games because being in the military was probably easier...

Really? Small world. I have friends who went to Sachem and I went to college at Stony Brook. In fact, one of those friends is also on GAF lol.

But yeah, sad news indeed.

Log exercises are not exclusive to the seals...this is an unfortunate accident, but this isn't any more dangerous than doing an something like a military press at the gym. If you dropped that on your head in could kill you too.

Log exercises are used because you have to work together. Again, an unfortunate accident but those things happen every day. Life is fragile.

This is so flippant as to be unnerving.

There is zero reason for high schoolers to be doing dumb shit like this period. There are 7000000 different team building things that don't involved carrying a fucking tree

And literally every story references this being inspired by a Navy Seal drill.

This isn't an accident it's negligence.

Draxal

Why does this keep happening? These are sub par training methods.

There's a million high schools in america and some coaches are idiots just like theres idiot sport parents.

I'd argue Baseball coaches are worse overall with the way they abuse pitcher arms, much more routinely.

But yes in this particular case, the coaches should be charged.

emrober5

This is so flippant as to be unnerving.

There is zero reason for high schoolers to be doing dumb shit like this period. There are 7000000 different team building things that don't involved carrying a fucking tree

Didn't a model just die from a can of whipped cream? All I'm saying is accidents happen. Gaf is going to crucify this coach because he tried something that 99% of the time would have been fine.

This is under the assumption that the exercise was done properly, of course. If done with the correct amount of people, you are not carrying that much weight, it's more a test of endurance than anything, and if one person fails the others have to hold the weight.

Edit: and the article says it's a navy seal exercise to provoke reaction in people like you. I have done these many times, and I am in no way or shape a navy seal.

Draxal

Didn't a model just die from a can of whipped cream? All I'm saying is accidents happen. Gaf is going to crucify this coach because he tried something that 99% of the time would have been fine.

This is under the assumption that the exercise was done properly, of course. If done with the correct amount of people, you are not carrying that much weight, it's more a test of endurance than anything, and if one person fails the others have to hold the weight.

Nah this isn't an accident this is negligence, if you aren't trained/certified to oversee such an action like this you deserve to be fucked.

See whats going to happen with Kent State pretty soon.

Freak accidents are not comparable to completely forseeable outcomes of getting kids to carry a tree.

Edit: and the article says it's a navy seal exercise to provoke reaction in people like you. I have done these many times, and I am in no way or shape a navy seal.

Every article I've read references Navy Seals and I read like 5 of them.

It's a high school team doing a drill literally designed for Navy Seals. It's nonsense to use it for training let alone for bullshit team building.
Don't get too hung up on "ZOMG NAVY SEALS" or you're making the same mistake as the coach. This drill isn't exclusive to the SEALs and isn't something that carries over into their job. It's a camaraderie exercise. The log drill was recently done by Michigan players during a summer camp without issues:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7987071/michigan-wolverines-take-leadership-training-road
For the last hour of their workout, the Wolverines carried 235-pound logs. Before they started, Stella gave them strict orders.
"These things are heavy as hell," he said. "As soon as you get lazy and don't carry your weight, your teammates are picking up your slack. Trust your teammates are going to carry their weight. It's all about teamwork. If you guys start throwing around my logs, you're going to get sand and grit all over them. Then I'm going to make you wash them. There's only one place to wash them -- in the Pacific Ocean."
Stella found more uses for the logs than WD-40. The Wolverines carried them on their chests, hauled them on their shoulders and pushed them with their legs. They even did sit-ups and push-ups while carrying them.
They're slightly older, and on another level in terms of physical development, but they're not SEALs.

The only applicable part is that it's a potentially dangerous exercise without the proper precautions, so when SEALs do it it's like whatever. This very exercise could probably be done by firemen or blue-collar workers because they would at least have the mettle for hard labor, safety issues, following instructions and working together. So there isn't much of a concern even for an FBS collegiate athletic program. But high schoolers have a greater variance in physical makeup and maturity, and NY in particular isn't exactly a state known for HS football. I mean, the right HS team could probably do it without worry about an accident, but they need to be properly evaluated and supervised, whereas this idiot coach probably figured the exercise would work its magic on the weak links when it's to further develop teams that already have a certain level of maturity.

Oh, and as for the Michigan football squad's experiment with SEAL training. . . they went 7-6 that season, including a 29-6 blowout loss to Michigan State. The head coach was fired after the next season. Turns out, football ain't like the military.

Don't get too hung up on "ZOMG NAVY SEALS" or you're making the same mistake as the coach. This drill isn't exclusive to the SEALs and isn't something that carries over into their job. It's a camaraderie exercise. The log drill was recently done by Michigan players during a summer camp without issues:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7987071/michigan-wolverines-take-leadership-training-road

They're slightly older, and on another level in terms of physical development, but they're not SEALs.

The only applicable part is that it's a potentially dangerous exercise without the proper precautions. This very exercise could probably be done by firemen or blue-collar workers because they would at least have the mettle for hard labor, safety issues, following instructions and working together. So there isn't much of a concern even for an FBS collegiate athletic program. But high schoolers have a greater variance in physical makeup and maturity, and NY in particular isn't exactly a state known for HS football.

Oh, and as for the Michigan football squad's experiment with SEAL training. . . they went 7-6 that season, including a 29-6 blowout loss to Michigan State. The head coach was fired after the next season. Turns out, football ain't like the military.

Nah I'm not because unlike the coach I'd never get grade 11 children to carry a tree so they can be a better "team".

And logs were?

The exercise was.

But please continue to believe this was a freak accident and not completely avoidable

emrober5

Freak accidents are not comparable to completely forseeable outcomes of getting kids to carry a tree.

This is not a foreseeable outcome, it is a freak accident.

This exercise almost certainly happens in many other high schools all the time. But because a freak accident happened it's been magnified.

I've ran with logs, done sit up with logs, and yes, even lifted them over my head...I am about 155 lbs. This is no more dangerous than a slew of other exercises that that kid did on the team. What if they were doing hit drills and he broke his neck, is that a foreseeable outcome?

It's tragic, and I hate to be so blunt about it because it is horrible for the kid's family but sometimes the GAF hive mind drives me crazy. The coach does not deserve to be crucified.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the exercise, but the coach is negligent for not using proper precautions like using helmets if they were going to lift it over their heads.

This is not a foreseeable outcome, it is a freak accident.

This exercise almost certainly happens in many other high schools all the time. But because a freak accident happened it's been magnified.

I've ran with logs, done sit up with logs, and yes, even lifted them over my head...I am about 155 lbs. This is no more dangerous than a slew of other exercises that that kid did on the team. What if they were doing hit drills and he broke his neck, is that a foreseeable outcome?

It's tragic, and I hate to be so blunt about it because it is horrible for the kid's family but sometimes the GAF hive mind drives me crazy. The coach does not deserve to be crucified.

It's not a freak accident it was the inevitable result.

Other coaches are in record saying this is nuts.

This kid was a 134 not even your 155.

The coach put children into a very adult exercise. He absolutely deserves everything coming to him. This should also be a warning to other coaches to cut that shit out.

It's a good exercise for Navy Seals...

This kid wasn't >160 he was >140... because he was a child.

It's not literally designed for Navy seals. That's a basic team exercise since logs were around. Regular army out of shape nobodies do this.

emrober5

Right. It was inevitable...

I'm sure they didn't hand pick those coach quotes for the purpose of their article. Not at all.

jotun?

When I saw "drill used by Navy Seals" in the title I expected something like 500 pushups then run 10 miles with no water

Carrying a log as a team doesn't seem particularly dangerous. If there was just an article describing what they did, without the "kid dies" context, no one would be screaming about it being potentially deadly. It's something that's probably been done thousands of times with little history of injury

But please continue to believe this was a freak accident and not completely avoidable
9hH48qp.jpg

This happened in my area, and is my old high school. This type of training is unnecessary for high school kids. May he rest easy, my condolences go out to his friends, and family.

Arjayes

Banned
Just because the Navy SEALS do it doesn’t make it a Navy SEALS exercise. It’s just an exercise meant to build teamwork. If one person slacks off during the exercise then the log gets heavier for everyone else. It’s meant to teach doing your best for the good of the team. It’s a shame a kid died, they should have used a lighter weight or just did a different exercise. Someone deserves to go to prison and the family needs to be compensated for the coaches gross negligence. In the exercise the coach should be running alongside them, able to step in case he sees one of them having a hard time. He probably just sent them on their way. Disgusting.

Shut their entire sports program down forever. It's already fucking stupid that we let children risk CTE. Any school that bolts a sidecar of random deadly activities onto the side of their football program just for the fuck of it isn't responsible enough oversee people chasing a ball around.

Yeah, let's punish every kid who is districted for that school in perpetuity. That's a great idea.

"Apologies for your inconvenience m'am. But i can assure you your son died like a real 'murican trooper. He was a brave man.. eh child. Here is a patriotic flag and his lunchbox with the sandwiches you made. TEN HUT!"

The log-carrying drill was designed to build teamwork in Navy SEALS training, said Bob O’Malley, president of the New York State Athletic Trainers Association. “I’ve never seen that drill in an athletic setting,” O’Malley said.

Zayas said there are no state-mandated restrictions on the type of football drills that take place during the offseason practice.

This should probably change.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ies-after-practice-injury-cops-say-1.13966482

Top Bottom