• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin McRae Rally 2005 (PSP) new (fugly) screens

Flo_Evans

hmm another PSP racer. After the high visual bar set by RR these screens are a little disapointing.

0002658,01.jpeg

0002658,04.jpeg

0002658,06.jpeg

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Features/2658.html

Gek54

Looks great to me, Ive been dying for a rally game on road.

Here is what I expect next gen CMR to look like:
colin-mcrae-rally-2005-20040610034334628.jpg

Doesn't look that different from the PS2 versions of CMR to me. CMR has never been about graphics, but about the driving. I am seriously thinking about getting this one.

I have played it. It looks absolutely great, especially in motion - very, very fast und fluid.
But I got the impression that it's a bit harder than the PS2 edition.
Codemasters is bringing this and TOC Race Driver 2 (also known as DTM 2 or V8 Race Driver 2) to the European PSP launch - one of the best racers of this console generation in my opinion.
DTM2 looks great, too. The guys at Sumo Interactive that made the conversions for Codemasters do know their stuff. They are also responsible for Virtua Tennis PSP as far as I know.
By the way, TOCA2 will feature 12 players head to head via WiFi, downloadable Replays and a downloadable demo of the game for other PSP owners. Colin McRae 2005 plus will feature 8 players via WiFi and all the other stuff, too.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
thegodsend said:
I have played it. It looks absolutely great, especially in motion - very, very fast und fluid.
But I got the impression that it's a bit harder than the PS2 edition.
Codemasters is bringing this and TOC Race Driver 2 (also known as DTM 2 or V8 Race Driver 2) to the European PSP launch - one of the best racers of this console generation in my opinion.
DTM2 looks great, too. The guys at Sumo Interactive that made the conversions for Codemasters do know their stuff. They are also responsible for Virtua Tennis PSP as far as I know.
By the way, TOCA2 will feature 12 players head to head via WiFi, downloadable Replays and a downloadable demo of the game for other PSP owners. Colin McRae 2005 plus will feature 8 players via WiFi and all the other stuff, too.

Now downloadable demo is something that I will love to support. I might buy this game just based off the fact that they are doing something cool. (All depending of the demo of course)

I nearly forgot: There will be a tool available for free download from codemasters.com that enables you to convert music from your PC to a memory stick and use it as a custom soundtrack in TOCA 2. I believe they are the only one doing this?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
thegodsend said:
I nearly forgot: There will be a tool available for free download from codemasters.com that enables you to convert music from your PC to a memory stick and use it as a custom soundtrack in TOCA 2. I believe they are the only one doing this?

this sounds fantastic. although i'd rather have the game support mp3 for easy drag and drop to the psp. but still, custom soundtracks is always great

Zeo

Banned
JMPovoa said:
Are you kidding? Looks great for a portable!

"IT LIKE LOOKS GOOD COMPARED TO GAME BOY ADVANCE, SO IT'S AWESOME."

No.

It looks bad compared to what PSP can do.

Udde said:
segarally02.jpg

McRae-2005-9.jpg

yep, psp wins IMO

Dude, that's a shitty comparo. Sega Rally 2 came out at DC's launch using crappy ass WinCE for operating system, but still ran @ 640x480. You could have at least shrunk the PSP screen to match or found a 640x480 DC screen.

I'm not saying DC is a more powerful system or anything, but using a 320x240 Sega Rally 2 screen as representative of DC's graphics in your argument is like using a 240x136 NFS:U screen as representative of PSP's graphics.

Udde

Shogmaster said:
Dude, that's a shitty comparo. Sega Rally 2 came out at DC's launch using crappy ass WinCE for operating system, but still ran @ 640x480. You could have at least shrunk the PSP screen to match or found a 640x480 DC screen.

I'm not saying DC is a more powerful system or anything, but using a 320x240 Sega Rally 2 screen as representative of DC's graphics in your argument is like using a 240x136 NFS:U screen as representative of PSP's graphics.

I agree, I don't like to compare that way, but it was only a reply to that comment.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gek54 said:
V-rally 2 looked much better than Sega Rally 2 imo. Hows this for comparo?
TestDriveVRally-2.jpg
Small pics hide flaws...

Here some pics that demonstrate the image quality as you would see it through Lazy8s' beloved VGA box...

vrally2_screen005.jpg

vrally2_screen003.jpg

vrally2_screen002.jpg

vrally2_screen007.jpg

Sega Rally 2 looks much better than this (it just has low res textures). It is extremely tough to find 640x480 SR2 pics, though.

Here is what I could find, but none of them are very good...

3.jpg

This screen is pretty bad, but it shows off some of the lighting that makes SR2 look better. Those aren't accurate reflections (just a repeating texture), but they do look nice...

4-g.jpg

This is a PC shot at 640x480, though...but it looks worse I think (though it runs at 60 fps like the arcade version).

big_295_2.jpg

I BET TEH EN DEE ESS CAN DO IT BETTER. TOUCHSCREEN!

CMR was never about graphics as the games always seem behind the graphics curve. Unlikely I'll get it because only Rallisport can satiate my Rally game needs.

crunker99

Screens are always misleading to me, they can give u a general idea but games in motion tend to look better, usually anyway. Some look a lot worse.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
robertsan21 said:
this game looks awsome, cant wait for it!

WHO EVER THINKS this looks bad must be joking
I think it is a case of PSP not being quite as powerful as PS2 and the like...while also seeing too much next-gen media. When you get used to looking at PGR3 shots, this looks a lot less impressive.

Flo_Evans

ok, ok, maybe fugly was a little to strong of a word :)

The screens Gek posted do look alot better and the video is pretty nice. I guess I am spoiled by playing Colin McRae on my PC (which isn't that great of a PC, but it still spoils you)

I notice in Geks screens there is the damage icon. Are they going to add shattered windows and body panels? That would be pretty impressive.. also are there any screens of rain or snow yet?

Gek54

Also, the pics Flo_Evans posted are old. Looks like alot has changed, new HUD and reflections on the car.

crunker99

I like racers on the psp for one reason. Wheni hold the screen up to my face like 6 inches away from it i mean, and put the game in first person view, it makes me feel like i am whooshing along inside the game. Sometimes i throw up.

Shawn

Banned
I said it once and I'll say it again: I can't believe we're seeing graphics like that on a F*CKING PORTABLE!

Whoa.

CloudNL

Shawn said:
I said it once and I'll say it again: I can't believe we're seeing graphics like that on a F*CKING PORTABLE!

Whoa.

Yeah it looks fantastic.
People who think the graphics are bad are Nintendo-dorks.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Ideaworks3D, a mobile games and toolset developer whose porting software was coincidentally used to bring Colin McRae Rally 2005 to open mobile platforms, tested the porting of a well known, modern 3D home console game to an ARM MBX system (not unlike the next generation N-Gage) and had performance improve both by twice the framerate and more geometry, and that was back at the start of 2004.

Top Bottom