• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty: SOCOM is Coming Back

“reviews”?!? Have you ever played SOCOM? Get lost. One of the best and beloved shooters ever.
Why do you quote me? I played over thousands of hours Socom I/II online. Unlike this clueless hater. Socom I/II are online masterpieces.

It's easy to develop a new Socom Game. Just Look at PUBG.

Throw in all good Socom I/II/III in one huge map and for purists normal one map gameplay without looting. Easy Cash for Sony but they are complete clueless when It comes to develop huge mp hits these days.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If this is their answer to COD, lol. Nobody cares about SOCOM. Literally.

(Ok, I know there's five people who actually do care. But you don't matter.)

SOCOM seems more like a time and a place type of series. They'll never recapture the magic of the PS2 games.

Granted IGN had sucked for a while but Greg Miller is the reason I stopped consuming any of their media. Screaming "beyond" into a microphone and giving out dating advice wasn't exactly why I listened to gaming podcasts. I was pretty shocked when I saw he went on to form Kinda Funny (he's not funny in the least) and got a bunch of MC gigs. Enthusiasts really need to raise their standards for the media they consume.
Not sure I agree, I think CoD has needed a competitor for a long time and now that Microsoft owns Activision, it needs one even more.

Whether a modern SOCOM will be a FPS or 3PS is the real question, but a modern AAA shooter with the SOCOM name has huge potential. SOCOM used to sell more than Call of Duty, but Sony was less interested in being a 1st party developer back then.

They should never have given up on The Getaway for example. Even selling a fraction of what GTA does, it could have turned into a double-digit million-seller.

Batiman

Banned
That comes off like he’s hopeful more than hinting. People putting Colin on a pedestal like he has a great track record are kidding themselves

I guess covid as the rumor mill had really kicked into high gear last summer that the SOCOM announcement was imminent

As of latest pure rumor people say it might get revealed with the bigger State of Play that has a late March time frame

But in all honesty I have been super busy lately and have not gamed with certain people who would know these things as with the MLB lockout have been doing a lot of radio and local TV stuff

Is Guerrilla Games making SOCOM?

Would be the only obvious choice from Sony's first party....or maybe SOCOM was handed to Deviation games

The problem with SOCOM is it's just kind of like COD to me...uninteresting. Maybe Guerrilla can make it interesting.

Zipper really ruined the franchise on PS3.

envyzeal

Never been too much into realistic FPS, but always seen people praising SOCOM and I've never played it. What makes it special besides nostalgia? Can someone care to explain? (been real here, not trolling and/or baiting)

Antwix

I am cautiously optimistic. The SOCOM games after the 2nd started changing stuff for the worse. Looser gunplay, clunky movement, shitty maps, etc. I love SOCOM due to the fact that there wasn't any bullshit like perks/operators/gimmicks to fuck with the balance. The only thing that changed the balance were the maps themselves. Good players could overcome unfavorable maps. The only game that exists today that is similar is CSGO imo. Terrorists have their guns. CTs have their guns. No bullshit gimmicks like operators that R6 siege has. I'm doubting that the new SOCOM game will be good considering the track record of multiplayer games as of late, but if it is, I'd buy a PS5 just for it.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Say what??
c77c52450-bud-spencer-touchdown.gif

Socom I/II were amazing. Especially online and It was the most played online game Back then. Like Halo.

You clueless hater.
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs - 82
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs 2 - 87
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs 3 - 82
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs 4 - 67
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Combined Assault - 72
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Confrontation - 63
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Tactical Strike - 72
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo 1 - 82
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo 2 - 81
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo 3 - 74

10 games that average out to a 76/100.

B-tier. But if you are talking exclusive shooters and only have shit games to pick from I guess that makes it top quality?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is Guerrilla Games making SOCOM?

Would be the only obvious choice from Sony's first party....or maybe SOCOM was handed to Deviation games

The problem with SOCOM is it's just kind of like COD to me...uninteresting. Maybe Guerrilla can make it interesting.

Zipper really ruined the franchise on PS3.
In all honesty I don't know who might be making it

The SOCOM reboot has been circulating for a couple of years now was really hoping we would have had confirmation by now

B-tier. But if you are talking exclusive shooters and only have shit games to pick from I guess that makes it top quality?
SOCOM I/II were pretty good especially online.

You haven't obviously played them Back then.

I don't give a 💩 what a 🤡 like you thinks about the Socom franchise.🥱🥱

SpokkX

socom was barely a b-tier multiplayer offering

Check out this this gameplay.. from 2011, so not thay old.. it is no wonder Sony shut this crap down

Last edited:

Check out this this gameplay.. from 2011, so not thay old.. it is no wonder Sony shut this crap down

Two studios got closed down after developing two shitty Socom games. A warning for the next developer If there's really a new game in development.

Edit: Sorry thought this was Confrontation my mistake. It's clearly Soflop 4.

Last edited:
In all honesty I don't know who might be making it

The SOCOM reboot has been circulating for a couple of years now was really hoping we would have had confirmation by now

Just heard that Guerrilla is making an FPS and hired ex-Rainbow Six guys

Seems like they'd be a potential fit for SOCOM...but man, I just find SOCOM to be so incredibly dull. How do you make that exciting and relevant again? Stuff like Killzone, even though it's a dead IP, had such great art and lore.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just heard that Guerrilla is making an FPS and hired ex-Rainbow Six guys

Seems like they'd be a potential fit for SOCOM...but man, I just find SOCOM to be so incredibly dull. How do you make that exciting and relevant again? Stuff like Killzone, even though it's a dead IP, had such great art and lore.
Its going to be hard to carve out a spot with all the shooters currently

Topher

Gold Member

None of those scores are bad. Only two are less than a 70 which means it is a good game. Half of the entries are 80+ which indicates a great game. At no point are we in the realm of "shit games" so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

AmuroChan

He isn't that bad. He leans PlayStation obviously, but "god tier fanboy"? Nah......those guys never say anything negative about who they favor. Colin absolutely has. I'd put him on the same level as Ryan McCaffery as far as being "biased" in a journalists sense.

He leans PlayStation from a personal preference standpoint, but his podcast is consistently more critical than any other PlayStation-centric podcasts out there. If you actually want to listen to god tier fanboy PlayStation podcasts, go check out the PS Blogcast or Podcast Beyond.

Ezquimacore

Banned
He isn't that bad. He leans PlayStation obviously, but "god tier fanboy"? Nah......those guys never say anything negative about who they favor. Colin absolutely has. I'd put him on the same level as Ryan McCaffery as far as being "biased" in a journalists sense.
I guess I was judging him by his past self, He really was like "Playstation is god and everything else is shit" Ryan is a fanboy too but he was a bit more humble about it.

Perrott

Gold Member
Been hearing this awhile in the rumor mill hope its true
I wonder who may be developing it. From what I hear, it seems that Guerrilla is all hands on deck across a multitude of internal and external projects, so I have a hard time picturing how SOCOM would fit into their current pipeline - and other than them, I can't think of any Sony studio or partner who may be up to the task of developing a AAA shooter of this kind.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Only thing I remember about socom was hiding in a box in MP and killing people while being unkillable.

AmuroChan

I guess I was judging him by his past self, He really was like "Playstation is god and everything else is shit" Ryan is a fanboy too but he was a bit more humble about it.

I never saw him as that. Greg was the much bigger fanboy on Podcast Beyond. A lot of Sony fanboys went after Colin when he previewed the Order 1886 and said it wasn't good. He was also highly critical of Sony regarding Driveclub and No Man's Sky. Yes, he loves playing on PlayStation platforms, but he was never afraid of calling Sony out when he feels like they fucked up.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
None of those scores are bad. Only two are less than a 70 which means it is a good game. Half of the entries are 80+ which indicates a great game. At no point are we in the realm of "shit games" so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.
Yup, half the games are at 80+ which means half of them are NOT. That still makes it middle tier.

As for shit games, I was referring to Playstation having little in the ways of exclusive first person shooters to choose from for an exciting revival and from what little there is I guess a 76 average would look good?? I mean if I was dying in a desert with little options even a muddy puddle would look drinkable wouldn't it?

I played lots of SOCOM, I'm saying the fan boy hype is what's ridiculous here.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I never saw him as that. Greg was the much bigger fanboy on Podcast Beyond. A lot of Sony fanboys went after Colin when he previewed the Order 1886 and said it wasn't good. He was also highly critical of Sony regarding Driveclub and No Man's Sky. Yes, he loves playing on PlayStation platforms, but he was never afraid of calling Sony out when he feels like they fucked up.
he would criticize a bit just like you said, a few things here and there that have no excuses, but then he undermine microsoft and nintendo and talk about how shit they are, someone with that kind of opinions calling himself a journalist is a joke, he was a fanboy with power. I even remember he saying Bioshock infinite was trash and the last of us was the best game ever because both games were launched the same year and people had to make a choice. I guess he is different now according to some of you.

AmuroChan

he would criticize a bit just like you said, a few things here and there that have no excuses, but then he undermine microsoft and nintendo and talk about how shit they are, someone with that kind of opinions calling himself a journalist is a joke, he was a fanboy with power. I even remember he saying Bioshock infinite was trash and the last of us was the best game ever because both games were launched the same year and people had to make a choice. I guess he is different now according to some of you.

The point is, he was at least willing to criticize, far more than the other hosts. Have you ever heard Garfab or Clements go on a rant against Sony? Of course not, they both went on to work for Sony. Greg has turned into a complete Sony shill at KF.

Last edited:
I wonder who may be developing it. From what I hear, it seems that Guerrilla is all hands on deck across a multitude of internal and external projects, so I have a hard time picturing how SOCOM would fit into their current pipeline - and other than them, I can't think of any Sony studio or partner who may be up to the task of developing a AAA shooter of this kind.
Don't know what's so hard about developing a new Socom game. Just look at PUBG.

Topher

Gold Member
Yup, half the games are at 80+ which means half of them are NOT. That still makes it middle tier.

As for shit games, I was referring to Playstation having little in the ways of exclusive first person shooters to choose from for an exciting revival and from what little there is I guess a 76 average would look good?? I mean if I was dying in a desert with little options even a muddy puddle would look drinkable wouldn't it?

I played lots of SOCOM, I'm saying the fan boy hype is what's ridiculous here.

No, you called Socom "trash" and then provided evidence which showed it was hardly received as "trash" overall.

And what is the A tier military style online FPS shooter that everyone should be clamoring for instead? I'm not talking about exclusives. That's not relevant.

Papacheeks

Banned

The one big project they have in the works is a shooter of some sorts so…..

MrA

Jesus fuck SOCOM was trash and they stopped making them for a reason. What the hell is with the rose tinted glasses? Go look up the reviews if you don't believe me. Why are they acting like it was anything other than a B tier series?
revisionism much?
the first 3 SOCOM games (2 in particulary) were well received as were the first 2 psp all ranging from 81 to 87 on Metacritic with similar user reviews and each game sold like 3 or 4 million copies when that was a strong number
zipper made good to great games until they started chasing call of duty with 4
the slant six games were always average
the series was really hurt in part because 4 was the weakest game and the multiplayer was killed prematurely as it released during the whole psn down for a month attack in april 2011, killing any chance the game had to get a footing in multiplayer

Kokoloko85

Its had some bad ones and good ones. Trying to average it and say thats that isnt gonna do anything.
Who knows who’s making it and how much effort they are putting on it. Plus most the PS studios have improved so much over the last 13 years.

HTK

Banned
If you know anything about SOCOM you should know that after SOCOM II it wasn't really SOCOM anymore. SOCOM and SOCOM II were the pillars of the franchise, from there they've changed up the formula with SOCOM 3 and SOCOM: Combined Assault and not in a good way. SOCOM: Confrontation was done by a completely different studio and it was much closer to SOCOM and SOCOM II but not quite.

SOCOM 4 is an abomination to the entire franchise and it shouldn't even carry the title of a SOCOM game. This is coming from someone who was at the studio working on the game.

SOCOM and SOCOM II at their time were the biggest online games for PlayStation and in some cases beating out Halo in online numbers. However, as more competition came into the mix and studios changing the direction of SOCOM franchise, it started it's rampant decline. SOCOM 4 was a nail in a coffin because there wasn't anything SOCOM about it, it was a direct response to Call of Duty in the worst way possible.

With all of that said. I do believe the SOCOM IP in the right hands could again be a good franchise for Sony. They will have to satisfy the rabbit fanbase by keeping it core SOCOM game, however as someone that's really close with SOCOM there are a lot of great innovations that could be done with the franchise to move it forward. So I think it needs to be in the right capable hands to preserve what made it great but also bring in some modern elements to take it to the next level. Tricky task but it can be done.

With all of that said, I still don't think this game is in development and if it were I believe it may have just started. I really wouldn't mind being wrong with my prediction as a lifetime fan of the franchise, I'd like to see it return and potentially be huge once again. There are still those older fans of the franchise still craving to one day be able to play another SOCOM game, don't underestimate that.

Last edited:

Zoanoid33

It is a bit risky attaching the name SOCOM to a new game but they also have zero competition in the console space for a tactical shooter right now.

With Battlefield, Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon losing their core identities I think there is a lot of fans looking for a more realistic squad based shooter on console these days.

Right now we don't have any big studios working on a realistic tactical shooter, the only offerings we have come from small studios and PC mods.

Socom 1-3 were AAA tier. Had features multiplayer games even now sorely lack. Way ahead of it's time and was an incredible experience. The brand still has cache and they need a good multiplayer title.

Makes sense to give it a go.

Topher

Gold Member

Not that old? That's PS3 gen gameplay. I would imagine a reboot of the franchise would attempt to improve the game in every way from what they were able to do over 10 years ago.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Ryan would never have a fanboy meltdown over an acquisition. Colin is clueless when it comes to the industry at large and is not even trying to hide his bias.

Last edited:
Top Bottom