• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RR30

Dude on the Hive aka the GT Scout board said he has a contingency plan in case shit gets real for the GT forums at least.

I use Rivals because it's much more populated for UK, but it's sad that most of these guys are likely going to be out jobs soon. The UK guy over there, Jeff Drummond, is a super nice guy.

andycapps

Looks like 5 star OT, Isaiah Wilson, to UGA may be happening on Friday. 2 predictions on 247 in the last two hours both have him going to UGA. All the old predictions from months ago were him to Michigan. UGA got his last official this last weekend and he moved up his commitment date when he got home.

ryan-ts

Looks like 5 star OT, Isaiah Wilson, to UGA may be happening on Friday. 2 predictions on 247 in the last two hours both have him going to UGA. All the old predictions from months ago were him to Michigan. UGA got his last official this last weekend and he moved up his commitment date when he got home.

Michigan perspective - Wilson likes drama, this might be part of his plan to throw people off. He also changed his commitment date to fall in line with a string of Michigan targets who are suspiciously committing one day after the other. Tarik Black was the first of this group and he committed to Michigan. There's also a suggestion that the Georgia rumour is coming from a pro-Georgia coach at Wilson's school rather than Wilson directly.

At this point it could go either way.

That's two from Michigan..

Unless Jim is putting smokescreens everywhere... this is looking strange...

It is possible it's a PR ploy with Harbaugh to try and gain momentum and control the news cycle..

I'll admit that if it's true.. I'll give credit where credit is due.. it's pretty solid

andycapps

Michigan perspective - Wilson likes drama, this might be part of his plan to throw people off. He also changed his commitment date to fall in line with a string of Michigan targets who are suspiciously committing one day after the other. Tarik Black was the first of this group and he committed to Michigan. There's also a suggestion that the Georgia rumour is coming from a pro-Georgia coach at Wilson's school rather than Wilson directly.

At this point it could go either way.

A pro-Georgia coach in Brooklyn? I don't get too far down into $9.95 territory but that sounds like some to me.

Who knows, these kids are just that. They say stuff one day and contradict it the next. He may not even know what he's doing yet. Or he could commit to someone Friday and flip before NSD.

Either way, UGA has a good OL class coming in but he would move it to great if he committed. So we'll find out in a couple days.

It is possible it's a PR ploy with Harbaugh to try and gain momentum and control the news cycle..

I'll admit that if it's true.. I'll give credit where credit is due.. it's pretty solid

These are national recruiting guys that are typically pretty plugged in so for them to change their prediction, they must have heard something. The recruiting guy at the AJC is hearing the same things, that UGA isn't a pipe dream like they thought before, that they may actually be in the lead.

I mean, why would you want to go to a school where the HC is leaving in the next 4 months.

In Darnay Holmes news...

giphy.gif

Wiltfong doubled down as well Gleitman CB'ing him to Columbus...

Holmes' father reportedly says that the plan is to use Darnay much like Adoree Jackson at USC as an offensive and defensive weapon.

So let's reiterate:
Okudah, Holmes, Riep, Wade, White, Pryor..

my reaction

These are national recruiting guys that are typically pretty plugged in so for them to change their prediction, they must have heard something. The recruiting guy at the AJC is hearing the same things, that UGA isn't a pipe dream like they thought before, that they may actually be in the lead.
That would put a damper on Michigan's parade if that is indeed true.

I mean, why would you want to go to a school where the HC is leaving in the next 4 months.
I think the dream is dead on that Buck.

Can't relate to none of these woes y'all squads seem to have. My condolences.
We're still #Blessed

andycapps

247 had a free trial, sue me. Anyway, we'll find out on Friday.

Oh it really was a $9.95 thing. Yeah, we'll find out soon!

Floyd, I think both schools would probably be fine in recruiting either way with who else is left on the board (for us that's Gibbs, Mcbride, Bryant, etc), but a 5 star recruit, especially at OT would be nice to have for sure.

Floyd, I think both schools would probably be fine in recruiting either way with who else is left on the board (for us that's Gibbs, Mcbride, Bryant, etc), but a 5 star recruit, especially at OT would be nice to have for sure.
Yes it would.. Michigan should still be fine with DPJ and Cesar.. but it does hurt a bit if Wilson does indeed flip.. which I guess I'm 50/50 on right now after reading..

jfkgoblue

Yes it would.. Michigan should still be fine with DPJ and Cesar.. but it does hurt a bit if Wilson does indeed flip.. which I guess I'm 50/50 on right now after reading..
Michigan will be fine either way, especially if they can somehow flip Harris(which is looking more likely every week), Harbaugh has proven to be a FANTASTIC recruiter, so I am not too terribly worried about any specific guy. He will get blue chippers no matter what, our recruiting doesn't depend on a specific player, not to mention that he is one of the best at coaching up talent.
Anybody recruiting against Michigan for a top recruit right now is saying it. Bet on it.
That was the point that Jim Harbaugh was making.

jfkgoblue

Honestly, way more worried about Bama than Georgia, Georgia is like Clemson last year for Rashan Gary IMO, late visit where he said that he "loved" it there, but never really a huge factor. I could be wrong though,

Also those two experts CBing him to UGA, one is national, the other is Auburn.

24/7 is still predicting Michigan though.

Also feeling like Harris is coming to Michigan, he's holding a press conference, which doesn't make sense if he is staying with Bama

The Big Ten appears to be heading toward the Big 2, little 8 again(well little 12 now)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Harris is the RB right? I can't imagine him staying with Bama. He could probably see the field quicker at Michigan since Bama already has "too many" great RBs that can't get as much time as they deserve. Especially with an OC like Kiffin that is hesitant to run it for most of the game.

jfkgoblue

Harris is the RB right? I can't imagine him staying with Bama. He could probably see the field quicker at Michigan since Bama already has "too many" great RBs that already can't get as much time as they deserve. Especially with an OC like Kiffin that is hesitant to run it for most of the game.

Michigan does not use just one RB, we have 5 that all see the field a lot, and only Deveion Smith is leaving this year. Harris would probably get into that rotation though.

Michigan will be fine either way, especially if they can somehow flip Harris(which is looking more likely every week), Harbaugh has proven to be a FANTASTIC recruiter, so I am not too terribly worried about any specific guy. He will get blue chippers no matter what, our recruiting doesn't depend on a specific player, not to mention that he is one of the best at coaching up talent.
I'm not saying that everything is terrible for Michigan if Wilson flips.. they'll still have a solid class assuming everyone else goes how they are going to go.

But it does hurt a little if he flips..

And yes.. if Harris doesn't flip.. I would be shocked at this point

Honestly, way more worried about Bama than Georgia, Georgia is like Clemson last year for Rashan Gary IMO, late visit where he said that he "loved" it there, but never really a huge factor. I could be wrong though,

Why would Bama be a threat moreso than Georgia? They still have Leatherwood in the class.. as well as two other 4 star linemen respectively..

Are they losing a lot of linemen outside of Cam..

jfkgoblue

I'm not saying that everything is terrible for Michigan if Wilson flips.. they'll still have a solid class assuming everyone else goes how they are going to go.

But it does hurt a little if he flips..

And yes.. if Harris doesn't flip.. I would be shocked at this point

Why would Bama be a threat moreso than Georgia? They still have Leatherwood in the class.. as well as two other 4 star linemen respectively..

Are they losing a lot of linemen outside of Cam..

It's simple, Bama has been who we have been battling for his services all year, and they are still Bama. UGA just has the feel as a late free vacation that so many recruits take, but we'll see.

Also Michigan's guys like Sam Webb(one of the most accurate CBers in the country) is extremely confident that he is coming to Michigan, but said to keep an eye out for Bama... so meh

Also feeling like Harris is coming to Michigan, he's holding a press conference, which doesn't make sense if he is staying with Bama

The Big Ten appears to be heading toward the Big 2, little 8 again(well little 12 now)

Still the Big 1 let's let Michigan win a big time game before we crown them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think Bama is only losing Cam and Taylor, who didn't play much this season anyway due to being in the dog house early on and then the concussion later.

Don't remember what OL depth looks like overall.

andycapps

It's simple, Bama has been who we have been battling for his services all year, and they are still Bama. UGA just has the feel as a late free vacation that so many recruits take, but we'll see.

Also Michigan's guys like Sam Webb(one of the most accurate CBers in the country) is extremely confident that he is coming to Michigan, but said to keep an eye out for Bama... so meh
I don't think it was that. He said he grew up watching and rooting for UGA.

jfkgoblue

I looked at OSU's recruiting class, and dear God is that crazy... fuck

I was excited for there being a good possibility of us picking up 4 5*'s, with there being a legitimate(allbeit fairly small) shot at 5, but dear god OSU.

Gonna be the third ranked class, but still behind OSU... ugh

I was excited for there being a good possibility of us picking up 4 5*'s, with there being a legitimate(allbeit fairly small) shot at 5, but dear god OSU.

It is really unreal, saw this on twitter the other day:

OSU's 14th-ranked commit would be No. 1 for every B1G team except for Iowa (2nd), UM (4th), Rut (2nd).

I don't know if he wants there with the apparent depth at the moment and the numbers in the recruiting class currently whereas Georgia allows him a shot at play time early on and play at his favorite school.

It would seem to me that Georgia might be able to flip him more so than Bama at the moment.

I think Bama is only losing Cam and Taylor, who didn't play much this season anyway due to being in the dog house early on and then the concussion later.

Don't remember what OL depth looks like overall.
Thank you for the info. I wasn't sure about the depth for them

With Okudah and apparently Holmes to the class.. we might have the greatest collection of DBs in a class.. ever..

If we land Wilson (which is still possible since I think with Akers gone it seems we will put the full court press on the guy after January since Tufele is trending towards Utah it seems) we'd have 4 of the top ten players in the country for this class.

Michigan will still have a solid class overall and I would assume finish 3rd in the country..

And 2018's class could have the buckeyes with 10 of the top 50 players in the country.. it's insane.

andycapps

I don't know if he wants there with the apparent depth at the moment and the numbers in the recruiting class currently whereas Georgia allows him a shot at play time early on and play at his favorite school.

It would seem to me that Georgia might be able to flip him more so than Bama at the moment.

He'd be the favorite at left tackle for us. Otherwise it's a JUCO OT that is signed as of yesterday. Which would probably be okay, and he'd probably be stronger and have more experience than Wilson. Though you can't teach talent so long term we'd be better off.

jfkgoblue

Thank you for the info. I wasn't sure about the depth for them

With Okudah and apparently Holmes to the class.. we might have the greatest collection of DBs in a class.. ever..

If we land Wilson (which is still possible since I think with Akers gone it seems we will put the full court press on the guy after January since Tufele is trending towards Utah it seems) we'd have 4 of the top ten players in the country for this class.

Michigan will still have a solid class overall and I would assume finish 3rd in the country..

And 2018's class could have the buckeyes with 10 of the top 50 players in the country.. it's insane.

The biggest thing is that both Michigan and OSU are getting fantastic classes, but there has been few direct competition between the two, we are both going with a huge national recruiting push. This is a far cry from Lloyd vs Tressel, both in the fact that both of us are doing far better at recruiting, and that we are no longer huge recruiting rvials.

The real winner from this? The rest of the Big Ten can gain access to Ohio much easier, but then Michigan and OSU are much better. The MAC is the real winner, just look at WMU and Toledo recruiting, dear God, they do better than many P5 schools.

tebunker

Banned
https://twitter.com/softykjr/status/809218090676338688

Apparently Baka is using its army of not-coaches to chart UWs trick plays.

No doubt in my mind that Saban wants to know everything peterson will do before he does it. I think that the losses in the Sugar Bowl, thank god Bama isnt playing there this year, have made him even more over prepared.

He wants nothing to escape review. Hell that tape review is why Alabama beat Clemson last year.

As for that dude on twitter, that dudes a loser, i get that he seems to be coming off as a sports radio shock jock but reading through it shows how classless he is.

ryan-ts

No doubt in my mind that Saban wants to know everything peterson will do before he does it. I think that the losses in the Sugar Bowl, thank god Bama isnt playing there this year, have made him even more over prepared.

He wants nothing to escape review. Hell that tape review is why Alabama beat Clemson last year.

As for that dude on twitter, that dudes a loser, i get that he seems to be coming off as a sports radio shock jock but reading through it shows how classless he is.

Hmm, preparation can only go so far with trick plays. I don't think any amount of preparation would stop the hook and ladder play if it's executed perfectly. Certainly doesn't help you if Petersen has new trick plays. It might even hurt the team if Petersen goes to old trick plays and puts an unexpected twist on them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm officially an old man now CFB GAF. I aged up today to the next demo in terms of survey age ranges. Feels weird lol

I use Rivals because it's much more populated for UK, but it's sad that most of these guys are likely going to be out jobs soon. The UK guy over there, Jeff Drummond, is a super nice guy.

It was all sorta luck of the draw back in the day.

A lot of schools had message boards created in the late 90s. Then when Rivals and Scout and everything became a thing they all slowly bought up different independent boards that morphed into either Rivals or Scout for your team.

It's weird cause most fan bases go to the original board so of Rivals bought that then it's popular while the Scout board is a ghost town or vice versa. Obviously other independent boards still exist.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
As a followup to the Wakey leaks story, Ron Wellman with WF said they had notified all of the concerned parties who were believed to have been contacted by Elrod with playbook info and it was up to them on how they wanted to handle it. NCSU and UNC confirmed they had not been contacted by WF about the matter. Officials at Duke said no comment. If it comes out that anyone on that staff took that info, they need to be fired ASAP. I doubt Elrod would have contacted Cutcliffe directly, more than likely a GA or assistant coach, but if he knew in some capacity, then I guess Duke will be looking for a new head coach soon.

I'm officially an old man now CFB GAF. I aged up today to the next demo in terms of survey age ranges. Feels weird lol

It was all sorta luck of the draw back in the day.

A lot of schools had message boards created in the late 90s. Then when Rivals and Scout and everything became a thing they all slowly bought up different independent boards that morphed into either Rivals or Scout for your team.

It's weird cause most fan bases go to the original board so of Rivals bought that then it's popular while the Scout board is a ghost town or vice versa. Obviously other independent boards still exist.

Happy 35th!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom