• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not so bad-it's basically just Star Lord telling Iron Man his origin story.

Speaking of which-what series do I need to read for Iron Man that leads up to him heading out into space?

Read the current Iron Man, if I remember right the events lead up to his going into space.

Wait, the Red Skull in UA is a clone of 1940's Red Skull? That would explain the overdramatic dialogue.

In terms of the quality of Marvel recently, they've been overall quite good for me

Great:

Journey into Mystery
Superior Spider-man
All-New X-men
New Avengers
Cap America
Daredevil
Hawkeye
Thor
FF

Good:

Ultimate Spidey
Uncanny Avengers
Avengers

Need larger sample size:

Uncanny X-force
Young Avengers

Undecided:

Thunderbolts (buying because it's Dillon on Punisher and there is no other Punisher ongoing)
Deadpool (will see once Tony Moore leaves)
Hulk (been decent but hasn't grabbed me)
Wolverine and the X-men (I swear every issue I flip between hating and liking this book)

Meh, probably dropping:

Cable and the X-force (why do I keep buying this drivel haha, Larrocca art ain't helping)
Fantastic Four

kswiston

My thoughts for the week:

Young Avengers - I liked this issue a lot more than the first. That two page sequence was worth the price of admission on its own. I'd like to see more of the other team members, including Miss America, but a good issue overall - A-

Uncanny X-Force - Not a fan of the dialogue, but I like Garney's art and am interested to see where the plot is going. I have a feeling that this book will eventually redeem Bishop after 5+ years as a bad guy. - C+

Uncanny Avengers - I wish that Remender would drop the Claremont homage he has been running in this title, but this was definitely the strongest issue to date. Also, that epilogue. I'm such a sucker for that sort of thing. - B+

Uncanny X-Men - Pretty much a talking heads issue. I'm not against talking heads issues, but I'd prefer more plot progression if they are going to go that route. Cyclops and Emma are being a bit high schoolish about their relationship given the circumstances of what what happened in AvX. Also, Bendis has used that same cliffhanger about a dozen times in the past decade. Art is still pretty though - C

Hawkeye - This issue needed more Kate. The comic cover story-telling mechanism was really creative, but most of this issue was just there to set up cooler things in the future. - A-

FF - This was the best Marvel book of the week for me. I have no interest in reading Fraction's main Fantastic Four book, but he is killing it on FF. Bentley was great. The Moloids were great. Allred is fantastic as always - A+

Avengers Arena - Solid issue. Glad to see Kev Walker back after last month's fill-in. Kid Briton is a dick. No tears will be shed if a red X appears over his portrait in coming months - B+

Guardians of the Galaxy 0.1 - Pretty but unnecessary. If you have been yearning for a book about Peter Quill's conception/early childhood, this story is for you. If not, I think it is safe to skip straight to GotG #1. - C-

I haven't read Batman Inc since Leviathan Strikes. I have tracked down the 8 issues I missed and plan on reading those tonight. I also plan on getting caught up on Aquaman. Figure I should show DC more love.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Young Avengers #2 was solid enough. I wasn't a huge fan of issue #1, but the latest issue kept my attention.

Hawkeye #8 was excellent, as expected. So far this series has only had one weak issue, #7. But that was for a good cause and was put together last minute, so I can definitely let it slide. The Random Adventures of Clint are just pure fun.

Still need to read FF #4.

Quake1028

Injustice – 7/10
Uncanny X-Force – 4/10
Guardians of the Galaxy – 7/10

Mask of the Red Panda - 8/10 (CHECK THIS OUT FOR 99 CENTS, PEOPLE!)
Young Avengers – 8/10 (much better than the first issue)
Gambit – 7/10 (this series is underrated. gorgeous art)
Aquaman – 7/10 (another drop dead gorgeous book. transition story so it was a bit filler-ish)
FF – 9/10 (Allred is second fiddle to no one. She-Hulk, hubba-hubba....)
Uncanny Skullkickers – 10/10 (absolute brilliance. that bottom panel.....)
Hawkeye – 9/10 (bro, this book is fucking amazing, bro)
Uncanny X-Men – 8/10 (I don't know what it is, but I fucking love this book so far)
Uncanny Avengers – 10/10 *BOOK OF THE WEEK*

Uncanny X-Men – 8/10 (I don't know what it is, but I fucking love this book so far)

Same. I think it has a lot of story potential just based on AvX fallout alone. Then there's the shit between Emma and Scott, and I know you saw the May solicits for Dormammu.

Do we know how long Bachalo is staying on as artist? He always kills it with X-men books.

Bat Inc #8:
Hated it. Only good thing was the use of panel placement. I'm 50/50 on the art....I hate empty white panels with characters in them. The writing had gravity, but am I really supposed to believe Damien and Dick couldn't take that dude down? It's just a case of a character only being powerful enough to take them down when the writer wants them to be....it just didn't feel like that character was the correct one to take him down. And some of it looked so cartoonish and dumb I was laughing instead of feeling bad and that shouldn't happen.

If the art had been different, maybe I could have taken everything a bit better, but EWWW. Only part of the fight I liked was the callback to Bane, and the words between Damien and Dick WERE good. But as soon as I saw the panel where Damien's head went through a wall, or glass, or something and his body was sticking out in that ridiculous fashion, I shut down. The artist had to use a million cartoonish images when one or two powerful ones could have sufficed, and it didn't work for me. I went in wanting it t be good. I fell in love with the character over the past few issues. But it was just plain and for the most part, unmemorable.

Also, I started Flex Mentallo, and couldn't get through it. I'm not sure what I was supposed to find interesting about Liefeld Man.

frye

Honestly, Chris BURN 'EM is probably only artist at DC I'm consistently excited by. I dropped off reading Morrison's Batman regularly ages ago but it really feels like Morrison has been reinvigorated by Burnham - Inc. is at a level that only Quitely and Stewart could bring it to before and it's doing it every month.

Which makes the fill-in pages so much more heartbreaking. Whoever did the Tim sequence really benefited from the colouring because that shit was like Deodato-lite.

You get out, and you get out now. This is your final warning.

That's not very nice. It's not like I go out of my way to not like what you like. When I don't get it, I don't get it. That's all I can say. At least I gave it a shot..

Burnham's art is the sort I should like...but when ever I see characters in white panels devoid of any background or detail I instantly begin to shut down on whatever it is I'm reading. Then again I don't like a lot of modern comics art.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Avenging Spidey is DOPE this week!!! Anyone reading Superior should check it out.

You know that's right. It looks like
Otto is getting the Sinister Six back together for reasons unknown.
I sort of like having a good guy who is really a bad guy in disguise as the MC of a few comics, it's fun. I still want a Mysterio/Chameleon Ocean's 11 style team up heist book. You know that shit would be godly.

Nah. That's definitely Xavier, missing skull cap and all.

tumblr_lf5mv1s1vz1qe4xqxo1_400.gif

OK so I'd like to read up on Kang/Immortus. Are there any notable, landmark stories involving him?

Lombaszko

Aquaman #17- So glad I stuck with this book. The Throne of Atlantis event was the perfect length and number of books for a crossover. Plus, it's nice to see that the aftermath of the battle is being discussed and people are pissed at Arthur. Paul Pelletier's art is great too, love the two page splash.

The Flash #17- The Gorilla Warfare story has gone on for a bit too long, but it wraps up here with another great Francis Manapul drawn issue. One thing I like is that in 17 issues we've been introduced (and re-introduced) to so many characters that the world feels very real. Future stories have a lot they can play with in terms of character relationships.
Reverse Flash should be interesting. I liked Geoff Johns' take on Zoom so it'll be cool to see what this one is all about and what his powers are.
It'll be weird when Manapul eventually is off the book. The fill in artists they have had for the annual and other issues just haven't done it for me, I would hope they'd get someone with a different and unique style and not just someone trying to do the Manapul look. But as far as I can tell, he'll be on Flash for a while longer.

Also, for anyone coming into Batman Inc #8 who hasn't already, I would recommend reading or re-reading Batman: The Return. It's a one-shot that really sets up Leviathan and Fatherless and I found it was a really good companion to Inc #8.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hopefully Remender really ups his shit from #5 onwards then dropping the Claremont aping, and Cassady never comes back. I have to wonder if the narration boxes were put in simply because Cassady isn't good at communicating through his art since a lot of them are "THIS IS HAPPENING, JUST SO YOU'RE SURE, YAH?" stuff.

tralfazz

Also, for anyone coming into Batman Inc #8 who hasn't already, I would recommend reading or re-reading Batman: The Return. It's a one-shot that really sets up Leviathan and Fatherless and I found it was a really good companion to Inc #8.

That's also what I enjoyed about the last couple of Inc. books...tying up loose ends. Can't wait for the complete Morrison run collection.

kswiston

tumblr_lf5mv1s1vz1qe4xqxo1_400.gif

OK so I'd like to read up on Kang/Immortus. Are there any notable, landmark stories involving him?

- Avengers: The Celestial Madonna (Avengers vol. 1 129-135, plus Giant Sized Avengers 2-4)
- Avengers Forever Maxi (1-12)
- The Kang Dynasty (Avengers Volume 3 41-55, plus the 2001 annual)

Those are good starting points. Celestial Madonna is old (70s Marvel), but the other two are more recent, and were written by Kurt Busiek.

Kang was involved in the first arc of Young Avengers, but I don't think he was handled very well as a character himself. More of a plot device. Stay away from the Bendis interpretation in the first arc of Avengers vol. 4 as well.

tim1138

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What happened to present day Warren? I didn't get back into the X books until ANXM launched.

So you skipped the best X-book of the recent decades? Read Uncanny X-Force in its entirety before you go any further. It is REQUIRED READING.

tim1138

How far back do you want to go?

Just to whatever makes him like he is now. Guessing it happened in Uncanny X-Force which I never got around to finishing.

Pies and Beans said:
So you skipped the best X-book of the recent decades? Read Uncanny X-Force in its entirety before you go any further. It is REQUIRED READING.

I started it on Marvel Digital Unlimited, but they changed the reader and it stopped working on my Kindle Fire and I no longer own a computer. To further complicate matters the library doesn't have it in trade.

Guess I am the only one who liked Guardians of the Galaxy 0.1, but I never read the original so it got me excited for whats to come.

Nah you're not alone.

0.1 wasn't really needed, its just another bullshit cookie cutter origin story where we learn that the main character is a hero by his action on the schoolyard playground. Fucking zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Althought the last 2 pages got me really excited for #1.

I love the Abnet + Lanning series as well.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I randomly grabbed a trade from my to read pile yesterday for lunchtime reading, and it was the second tpb from the Bendis Mighty Avengers run (pre-Secret Invasion). Bendis brought back thought bubbles briefly. It has some genuinely funny moments when characters are saying one thing and thinking something else. How long did that last?

Just to whatever makes him like he is now. Guessing it happened in Uncanny X-Force which I never got around to finishing.
Short version:
UXF team kills Apocalypse, triggering Archangel programming in Warren. Archangel declares himself Apocalypse's heir, and recruits Dark Beast, the Horsemen, and Genocide. Archangel commits genocide on a small Midwestern town killing thousands, and uses the site as a test for destroying then rebuilding the world. The UXF team assaults Archangel's citadel, and Betsy stabs Archangel in the chest with a "life seed" from the AoA dimension, killing him. The citadel collapses, and out of the rubble emerges Warren only he's "tabula rasa" -- a total blank slate, with no memory of who he was before. The Warren Worthington III that they knew is truly dead, and this "Angel" wears his face and body.

And that's not counting the whole "wings torn off by Morlocks, transformed into Archangel by Apocalypse" business that preceded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom