• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Superman/Wonder Woman a "Superman" comic?

As someone who has been reading it since the start, I can firmly say, it's a Superman and Wonder Woman comic. They're both equal players in it.

In another book, a team-up book perhaps? Absolutely, in a heartbeat. In Wonder Woman? Nah.

I may just be talking out of my @$$ here, but Wonder Woman needs a strong solo book that can tell a great story and exist in its own world without getting tied down to the greater DCU. People don't read Snyder/Capullo Batman each month, and say to themselves "when is Flash going to show up?" do they? And, I know it's early yet, but from interviews it sounds like Johns is going to be doing the same thing with his Superman run: creating a strong solo book that features Superman and his built-in supporting cast, that doesn't pay too much attention to the character's goings-on in, say, the "Doomed" crossover event. And Wonder Woman really needs that kind of book because, unlike those other guys, she pretty much just has the one book (I know SM/WW exists, but come on -- that's a Superman comic) to go it alone. Wonder Woman had that kind of book for three years, and it's been considered one of the few success stories of the New52; but now, it sounds like DC is saying "nope. We need to bring in Superman, and Batman, and the Justice League, if this thing is going to sell." They're saying after three years that her book needs that crutch, so that they can ONCE AGAIN define who Wonder Woman is and what her place is in the DCU, because they STILL. CAN'T. FIGURE.THAT. OUT.

Let Wonder Woman's solo series BE her solo series.

[/rant]
It hasn't been her solo series for the past three years brah.

Look, Finch is one of the most capable artists of the 21st century. He brings bronze age sensibilities and thoughtfulness to the modern era. If all his wife needs is a couple of Zenescope oneshots and a passing grade in Creative Writing at her local community college, then so be it. Dan Didio is one of ghe most successful masochists in today's world, I trust him.

If you haven't already read it, I think you will really dig the Harley/Green Arrow chapter. It was the highlight of the first year for me.

Yes, that was pretty fantastic. Today's chapter is pretty much the "sequel" to that! But Messi, if I were you, I would try out this chapter first just to whet your beak. How can you resist Harley?
You can't

Zombine

Banned
I'm pissed that I was never updated on the status of 3 day passes for NYCC. Now I have to settle on Thursday-Friday. What am I supposed to do now? Have fun on the weekend? Lame.

MG310

I'm pissed that I was never updated on the status of 3 day passes for NYCC. Now I have to settle on Thursday-Friday. What am I supposed to do now? Have fun on the weekend? Lame.

Retailers still didn't get theirs..so there should still be Saturday/Sundays that way.

It wouldn't have even mattered their queue system was ass. People who got on right when it went live some times got access after people who came later. 3 day passes sold out in something like 30 minutes.

I only bought a ticket for Thursday.

MG310

It says "later this summer"

A Little Shop of Comics
Android Amazing Comics & Collectibles
Anime Castle
A&S Comics
Atomic Comics
Best Comics & Collectables
Chameleon Comics
Comic Book Jones
Comicopia
Cosmic Comics and Books Inc
Dewey's Comic City
Fat Moose Comics and Games
FJB Comics and Games
Fourth World Comics
Heroes Comics and Cards
Jokers Child Comics
Kimono House
Kinokuniya
Legends of Superheros
Midtown Comics
Montasy Comics
Nevermore Store
Royal Collectibles
The Fallout Shelter
Toy Tokyo
Zapp! Comics

Zombine

Banned
I guess I could always pop into Midtown for them. Thursday-Friday sounds cool though. It does leave the weekend free to just relax there.

MG310

Yeah, Thursday and Friday morning are the best time to get in on all the gaming related stuff too. (if there is any this year..last year was pretty awful on that front) Only thing that sucks about Thursday is that most of the artist alley guests don't get in until Friday morning.

I'm super new to this process. How does that work? What retailers get them?

There's a list on the website under the tickets section that lists them. It would seem that retailers are only getting day passes this year.

That is based on calling a couple of the retailers in Jersey and asking when they were getting 3 day passes in. All of them said they were only getting 1 day passes this year. Maybe the NYC retailers are different.

This was last week and they all said they should have the tickets in 3 weeks.

Kikarian

I'm loving Magneto.

Just caught up with it. I was hooked, reading it one after another.

There's something about it that I really liked.

can't wait for #6.

It's so funny the dismissal of WW and we haven't even seen a preview yet. Reminds me when this place went crazy over ANOTHER Batman origin story called Zero Year.

It's so funny the dismissal of WW and we haven't even seen a preview yet. Reminds me when this place went crazy over ANOTHER Batman origin story called Zero Year.
At least Zero Year had Snyder/Capullo, who'd proven themselves to people. Without even taking the Meredith Finch stuff and the interviews into account, I can't stand David Finch's art

Rabblerousing from some number of people, many of whom don't even pull any DC books, about a DC project before any concrete information, previews, reviews or actually reading it? C'mon bro. Don't be ridiculous.

At least Zero Year had Snyder/Capullo, who'd proven themselves to people. Without even taking the Meredith Finch stuff and the interviews into account, I can't stand David Finch's art

I don't blame you for not liking Finches art or not liking his shitty PR for the book he draws for. The one person that does not deserve hate is his wife. She has done nothing really to warrant negativity. What is she writes a really good WW?

Zombine

Banned
I have no clue. I don't follow cons as they just depress me. Knowing I can't go.

You, myself, and Cheska have to go to SDCC next year and make it rain on everyone. The attendees will need life preservers and rafts just to survive the weekend. It would be awful for anyone but us.

Chinner

Banned
no guys, wihle i accept the killing joke was a classic example of capitalism via consumerism enforced by the middle classes upon the blacks using media conception i can only say that batman year one was only stronger due to its metaphor of media hysterica of the rape of white women but not black

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Seriously, all of these creep statue collectors now got a big booty Wonder Woman. Should be rejoicing.

But really, David Finch stinks. His wife, however, could be a great writer, so let's see how that goes. Also, this pre-book hate is dumb. I dropped Azz's Wonder Woman like 10 or so issues in, and I love Greek mythology and ancient Greek stories...

Edit: What happened to Scott Kolins. I really liked that dude, and he drew the perfect Rogues.

Rabblerousing from some number of people, many of whom don't even pull any DC books, about a DC project before any concrete information, previews, reviews or actually reading it? C'mon bro. Don't be ridiculous.

The disingenuousness here is just astonishing.

Claiming distance between WW and the idea of feminism is a statement that deserves scrutiny and the appropriate levels of revulsion.

You can't just keep claiming bias when something legitimately unnerving happens.

"I don't know, I've never really believed in Batman's aversion to killing criminals or gun use."
"Ehhh, I've never really considered Superman to be 'not of this Earth'. Maybe it's just me."

Come on, guys. This is a gross and legit problem. Don't play your Company Bias Cards here.

I don't blame you for not liking Finches art or not liking his shitty PR for the book he draws for. The one person that does not deserve hate is his wife. She has done nothing really to warrant negativity. What is she writes a really good WW?
True. She could actually be a great writer! The "let's not say feminism" shit is ridic, though
I hate all of your favourite books. Let's fight.

Chad Hardin is coming to SDCC. I'm gonna go up to him and let him know that ComicsGAF HATES Harley Quinn

fertygo

We goes from Brian Azzarello to David Finch's wife, I have no reason to positive thinking.

Reading Black Science volume 1 right now. Liking the art style so far and the plot is interesting. How does Fear Agent compare?

Messi

True. She could actually be a great writer! The "let's not say feminism" shit is ridic, though

Chad Hardin is coming to SDCC. I'm gonna go up to him and let him know that ComicsGAF HATES Harley Quinn

Oh don't do that. We love Harely Quinn.

Jelly you will get to meet him.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I dropped Azz's Wonder Woman like 10 or so issues in, and I love Greek mythology and ancient Greek stories...

Why'd you drop it? I can only recall reading good things about it (though I could be forgetting stuff). I haven't read any of it, but I was thinking about reading it when the run finished up.

let me tell you something bros, Batman vs Predator? Legitimately good brehs. The first one by Gibbons and Kubert, the second one not so much

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Why'd you drop it? I can only recall reading good things about it (though I could be forgetting stuff). I haven't read any of it, but I was thinking about reading it when the run finished up.

To be honest, I just got intensely bored with it. 10 issues in and I didn't really feel invested in the story, or anybody in the book, Wonder Woman especially. I loved that Azz stayed within the Greek mythological aspects, and strayed from the the rest of the DCU, but I wanted a strong Wonder Woman story, not one where she was still a passive participant that many issues in. I could be wrong, as that's what, two years ago at this point, but that's the lasting impression I got from my time with that book. Also, that was at a point where there were so many damn good new 52 books, that I didn't feel bad dropping it.

I'll give it a reread in trades once its done, see if I misjudged it, though. I think Azz is a good writer, but sometimes dude falls flat, like with Spaceman.

Messi

It's a good book but it's really not a Wonder Woman book, it's more of an ensemble book. Diana just happens to be a character in it, that doesn't mean she doesn't do some badass stuff. It relies heavily on mythology and the baby storyline continues to hinder the books progress.

THEBABYTHEBABYTHEBABY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom