• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think she's been Binary since the 90s, lol. She went back to being Ms. Marvel. Only recently somebody asked, "Why the fuck can't she just be CAPTAIN Marvel, whats with this Ms stuff", and well here we are.

She went binary in tsosm tie into infinity. I think h's is normal now as per avengers 20

Also David Lopez yes!

Recap page, time to jump in Green Arrow.
7eHIkM4.jpg

but Hawkeye is the better bow & arrow guy

Different but equal. Green Arrow is a more serious book; However, that being said, Sorrentino is an amazing artist who deserves more attention (even I ignored him when he was on I, Vampire) and the story has been very good. Lemire is doing some world building and when all is said and done I think it's going to become one of the definitive runs of Green Arrow. Also, it's been slowly incorporating some of the better parts of the show, too, without being obtuse about it. #TeamDiggle (not yet, but soon)

Unique thing about Sorrentino is he rarely shades his work. Pretty much black and white. Then you have Mr. "I fucking love coloring" Maiolo doing his thing and it makes an amazing looking book.

Brian Wood talks about the end of 'Conan the Barbarian' (CBR)

I don't know if we'll be going out with a bang, to be honest. Meaning, I don't think the story has that sort of climatic vibe at the end. There's a hell of a lot of drama and a few pretty epic fight scenes, but it's so dark, very downbeat and heavy. Very "heart of darkness." I do think it's going to have tremendous emotional impact, and that's good enough for me. It's exactly the sort of endings I love to write in my creator-owned books.
It's coming.

The series has had its ups and downs, but I think that in the end it did exactly what a Conan comic should do: fill in the gaps between Howard's stories, and flesh out that world to a degree we haven't seen.

Acid08

Banned
Started poking around at Lazarus out of idle curiousity; Noticed that the trade is coming out this month, but there will only be four issues. Are four issue trades a new Image thing?
I don't think so, they usually go by story arcs. The first arc is four issues.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Started poking around at Lazarus out of idle curiousity; Noticed that the trade is coming out this month, but there will only be four issues. Are four issue trades a new Image thing?

They don't have a rule. The first arc of Lazarus is four issues, so the trade's coming out quickly. Nothing more to read into it.

I noticed that. 96pgs. On one hand, I'm glad, I can ask my girlfriend to get me it for christmas and likely get it (we kind of cut each other off from buying ourselves comics by that point, so we don't buy stuff the other has got as a present etc.), other hand I'll probably blast through it. Gotta love those Rucka/Brubaker/Lark Gotham Central trades that are as thick as the yellow pages.

I think Image does "introductory" trades with some books, that are just the first arc. Usually pretty cheap too, as an incentive to get people aboard early.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah the first Image trades are usually $9.99. Even for four issues it's a better deal than buying them separately.

Eldren

I really like the look of the Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow. I've only read Green Arrow Year One but I'm assuming their first issue is a decent jumping on point? I have zero interest in the any issues from before that, and the first trade collecting their issues comes out in March. Am I good to go with that?

Also, I'm halfway through Iron Man Extremis, and I'm really enjoying it. I think it was someone here who said Warren Ellis really got Tony's character, and some of his dialogue is making me think you were totally right. Great stuff. Looking forward to digging into Fraction/Larroca's Invincible Iron Man afterwards.

(Also also, my copy of the first East Of West trade shipped today and I'm excited for it. I think that's another 98 page book as well. Honestly, with the speed Image puts them out, I'm ok with slimmer trades. Seems like a decent compromise to me.)

I really like the look of the Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow. I've only read Green Arrow Year One but I'm assuming their first issue is a decent jumping on point? I have zero interest in the any issues from before that, and the first trade collecting their issues comes out in March. Am I good to go with that?

Yeah, issue #17 is a jumping on point for their run. Also, it seems, they intend for issue #24 to be the same.

bengraven

I think after the last year of reading current back issues and even some things on a monthly basis now (Locke and Key, Saga, Wood's X-men) I'm officially back into reading comics for the first time in 11 years.

Thanks to you guys of course.

I'm actually considering what to do about a pull box, especially looking at the list of releases this month. Fuck, so many new series to keep track of. I may go digital just so I don't have to make my poor wife suffer the stacks of books.

Brian Wood talks about the end of 'Conan the Barbarian' (CBR)

It's coming.

ConanTheBarbarian-22-c8232.jpg

The series has had its ups and downs, but I think that in the end it did exactly what a Conan comic should do: fill in the gaps between Howard's stories, and flesh out that world to a degree we haven't seen.

:(

My favorite Howard story and I should have assumed this is where he'd end.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
So I guess the Ultimate universe is coming to an end, which means it might actually be possible for me to read every comic; pretty cool. I've been marathoning Ultimate Spider-man, but got supremely disappointed when Mark Bagley stopped drawing it. I despise how the other artists draw Peter Parker, Gwen, Mary-Jane, etc.

Was/is Ultimate X-Men good? I think I want to read that next.

kswiston

It's a pretty small week for me. However, I'm happy that Villain's Month is over, so I can resume my DC books.

- Forever Evil #2
- All New X-Men #17
- Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1 (maybe)
- Mighty Avengers #2 (giving it an arc, despite Land)

KePoW

Banned
Hey all, a week or two ago I asked GAF for suggestions as someone who has never read any comics! Got a bunch of specific and detailed replies based on my likes & interests. Wanted to report back in to say that your suggestions weren't wasted:

** I bought the Marvel Masterworks trade paperback for Dark Phoenix Saga. Finished it and even though the art is dated to me, it was a great starting point to know the X-Men characters and their true comic personalities. (as I stated before, my only exposure has been video games & movies)

** Just started the Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men. Only finished a couple issues so far, but I can already tell it will be awesome and my style! I'm a big fan of Kitty Pryde and Emma Frost from games/movies, so this was a great suggestion.

** Can't wait to finish Astonishing X-Men, because I want to start on some of the current X-Men series yall recommended. Some of them look really great from quick browsing around... particularly that new self titled X-Men series with all female team.

** On the non-Marvel front, I downloaded some of those free #1 issues from Comixology. That's a great idea for introductory people like me. I got Saga / Chew / Y: The Last Man / Locke & Key / Planetary. Haven't had time to read any of them yet, but looking forward to it!

** I browsed for info on some Image Comics series like yall suggested. I had no idea they were such a major publisher haha... I've only heard of Marvel and DC. But Image seems to have some really interesting series. And it looks like they're mostly separate and self-contained, so that makes it manageable.

I went ahead and bought Lazarus, and wow I really like it a lot! Ended up getting all three issues. I don't know what the GAF comic experts think of it, but I really think the world setup & backdrop is great so far. I'll continue to buy and follow it.

I bought the first issue of East of West and that's awesome too.

---

So thanks again for all the specific suggestions, it's turned me into a new comic fan haha.

Final thought & question: For those of you who are truly longtime big comic fans... how the heck do you keep up with all the good stuff out there? Do yall buy & follow like 30 series at once or something??

kswiston

Final thought & question: For those of you who are truly longtime big comic fans... how the heck do you keep up with all the good stuff out there? Do yall buy & follow like 30 series at once or something??

In short, you can't keep up with everything worth reading unless you can afford to drop $50-100 a week, maybe more (ask someone like Rafa). You end up having to prioritize. However, Comixology $1 sales, discount trades at Amazon and instocktrades.com, and perhaps a subscription to Marvel Unlimited can help.

I went ahead and bought Lazarus, and wow I really like it a lot! Ended up getting all three issues. I don't know what the GAF comic experts think of it, but I really think the world setup & backdrop is great so far. I'll continue to buy and follow it.

I bought the first issue of East of West and that's awesome too.

Rucka and Hickman, you can't go wrong. Image is pretty much my favorite publisher these days.

Ugh. Almost. But I'm really trying to cut back.

KePoW

Banned
In short, you can't keep up with everything worth reading unless you can afford to drop $50-100 a week, maybe more (ask someone like Rafa). You end up having to prioritize. However, Comixology $1 sales, discount trades at Amazon and instocktrades.com, and perhaps a subscription to Marvel Unlimited can help.

That's a good economical thought... I'm definitely keeping my eye out on any Comixology sales. Their site and android app are awesome btw. And yeah getting trade paperbacks from Amazon for older stuff.

Well, I think it's possible to follow a sizable percentage of the quality releases and hold closer to a 20 book pull list. I'm likely near 25 with more than half of those mini-series.

Vibranium

Banned

I support the books I love and the ones I feel that I need to vote with my wallet to prove to the industry we need more (If I could have bought 1 million copies of Latour and Klein's Winter Soldier I would have).

Sometimes to keep up with stuff and manage money I have to make sacrifices on the pull list though, but I find ways to keep up with what's going on in Marvel and some DC. Got to follow Spencer's Secret Avengers for everyone except Fake Fury (ugh) and Daisy Johnson, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm rewarding him for his writing though hehe.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
They have nothing in common besides having an archer as a character. Hawkeye is a step above GA for me but GA is starting to pick up the pace and the art is gorgeous.

Owzers

Well, I think it's possible to follow a sizable percentage of the quality releases and hold closer to a 20 book pull list. I'm likely near 25 with more than half of those mini-series.

There's always going to be more books i want to read than i actually end up reading, even if timing wasn't a problem the cost would be add up quickly. I buy 40 books a month and a couple trades, i read 20 books a month and maybe a trade alongside 5-whatever amount of Marvel digital unlimited issues...yet i still can't cut my pull list down to 20 titles which would be entirely logical.

ReiGun

They have nothing in common besides having an archer as a character. Hawkeye is a step above GA for me but GA is starting to pick up the pace and the is gorgeous.
This. Hawkeye is my favorite of the two, but they're both good in their own ways.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He shows up from time to time in different comics. Not a very used character though.

Why they didn't team him up with Morbius for his ongoing is beyond me. It should have been obvious. Dr Strange could have made cameos as well. It would have been awesome.

Sometimes sure haha, I make efforts to keep it to 20 or below though. Personally though, I collect by trade. I probably save a good deal of cash there, and I'm pretty content to wait a lot past release to get them even cheaper. Benefit of having multiple hobbies of reading comics, playing games and reading a lot of novels is I switch focus while waiting ha. A lot of my series are from Image and Vertigo too, who traditionally do really great trade prices. Currently the series I'm reading I think amounts to about 22, it probably was 30 before the recent cull.

Scary thing is, I have down to buy/pre-order in the next year when I can...Velvet, Southern Bastards, Hinterkind, Coffin Hill, FBP, Black Science, The Wake, Trillium, Secret, Dead Boy Detectives, Umbral & Pretty Deadly, and I already feel like I whittled my lsit down to the best of the best. No idea what I do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom