• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath - 15 Years Later

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath is 15 years old - and thanks to some lousy sequels, is the de-facto send of to the CNC series for many of us. Does it hold up a decade and a half after release? And should you play it today?

00:00 Introduction
02:59 Act 1: Campaign
17:30 Act 2: Skirmish
19:02 Nod
21:13 Black Hand
23:23 Marked of Kane
24:18 GDI
25:55 Steel Talons
26:57 ZOCOM
28:24 Scrin
30:05 Traveller-59
30:41 Reaper-17
32:43 Act 3: Other Modes
39:05 How to play it today
42:58 Conclusion

Hudo

Ah, yes, Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath. Good games, although they never really topped Red Alert 2 and TibSun. At least the balancing was taken more seriously because EA tried to heavily push C&C3 (and Red Alert 3) as competitive e-sports games (fuck e-sports, btw). They've taken the whole thing too seriously, imho. Which made them a bit less fun. But they weren't so obsessed about balancing and e-sports like Blizzard with StarCraft at least. (I think StarCraft and StarCraft 2 are poorly designed, but that's a discussion for another day).

They also went all out with their live-action cutscenes. It's sad that this was essentially the last hurrah for the Tiberium games, had I known back then, I would've appreciated C&C3 more. It's solidly made, pretty good even in some respects. But I never really liked the direction EA took with the story, world and art design after Tib Sun.
I'd appreciated an even bleaker, more apocalyptic development, where GDI and Nod would've had to really fight against the mutated flora, fauna and maybe the planet itself (Alpha Centauri style, if you will). The Scrin were a mistake and never felt really thought-through and making them playable, while interesting for the multiplayer, pretty much removed all mystery about the Tiberium...

A good 8.0/10.0 in my book.

And before you guys roast me about my statements regarding balancing and multiplayer-focus, you can and should balance, of course! But not at the cost of fun; it should always facilitate it, not remove it. You can have a fairly balanced game but also allow some stupid/weird shit, which Blizzard removed completely for StarCraft 2 (and also later versions of StarCraft 1) because they wanted the matches to be like a professional sport. Look at Age of Empires 2, for example. Pretty balanced game but you can still do a lot of weird shit strategies. Or Red Alert 3 also went a bit more in that direction. Maybe even Red Alert 2, although you can heavily debate whether it is balanced enough. The older C&C games aren't, really. Rocket-based units are essentially OP, since they essentially can hard-counter everything. And the Nod artillery in TibSun is just crazy OP (they remedied that a bit in Firestorm, however).

P.Jack

Played the Red Alert 3 campaign again a couple of weeks ago, I think it’s pretty good and the live action videos are great. Real shame we don’t get more RTS releases.

You can have a fairly balanced game but also allow some stupid/weird shit, which Blizzard removed completely for StarCraft 2 (and also later versions of StarCraft 1) because they wanted the matches to be like a professional sport.
I mean, competitive SC2 was full of weird shit every tournament the first five or so years. It was shit city with new turds moving in all the time. And when one got flushed, two more appeared. It was the best of times.

They did eventually iron out most of it, but that was a couple of years into Legacy of the Void.

Tangerine

Remember command and conquer generals? Think that's my last experience with c&c

Loved red alert series when I was little. Bought them all in steam sale recently to play on my gaming PC I'll be buying when I get my inheritance soon.

Or play on my Asus Rog if I can be bothered to assign a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Whichever... I'll be replaying them all soon.

Alpha Male

By FAR my favorite RTS on Xbox!

And that says a lot considering all the awesome RTS games available for Xbox:

Halo Wars
Endwar
Supreme Commander 2
RUSE
LOTR Battle for Middle Earth 2
C&C Red Alert 3
Battlestations Pacific
Age of Empires

Last edited:

Krathoon

Command and Conquer is really more of a hetero male fantasy game. I love it.

Especially, Red Alert 2 and 3.

captainwaffles0

Neo Member
I played a bit of Kane's Wrath multiplayer in the years leading up to SC2, it was pretty fun, I still play from time to time on CnC Online. Tempest Rising looks like the next CnC game to me tbh. I'm not sure EA will ever make a proper CnC game like pre CnC4 games ever again.

Top Bottom