• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Commanding general of D.C. National Guard to be removed from post ON Inauguration Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
So he's retaining his own bodyguards, firing the DC Nat'l Guard general, completely undermining the most mainstream press in CNN, walking away from the CIA and NSA ... and he doesn't know what he's doing?

Y'all awake? This is a fucking coup.

Kusagari

So he's retaining his own bodyguards, firing the DC Nat'l Guard general, completely undermining the most mainstream press in CNN, walking away from the CIA and NSA ... and he doesn't know what he's doing?

Just wait for 2020 where he loses and then claims there's voter fraud.

Then the shit will really hit the fan.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I just know I recognize Trump and his cronies as traitors. Americans seem to be in "wait and see" mode but I have seen enough.

The thing is, there are surely people on both sides of the aisle who feel the same way. The opposition to this presidency is there, but will they act is the question.

Oh a lot of people have been awake since he announced his run for President. Unfortunately half of Americans don't care and a quarter are complicit.

Jayof9s

Maybe, but it's mostly his guys can step on the 1st amendment when it comes to reporters and the secret service will not.

Ah, got it. I also read the article someone else posted. For a second I thought he was just turning down secret service entirely for his own stuff... Clearly not the case.

red-dawn-opening.png

Russia will invade through Mexico, via Washington DC.

The thing is, there are surely people on both sides of the aisle who feel the same way. The opposition to this presidency is there, but will they act is the question.

Will they be able to should be the major question? Trump could do major lockdowns, and try to stop people from protesting!

lacinius

Ah, got it. I also read the article someone else posted. For a second I thought he was just turning down secret service entirely for his own stuff... Clearly not the case.

I like that the Secret Service has to rent out an entire floor of Trump Tower in order to provide security... I mean, the Secret Service is paying rent in Trump Tower to protect Trump. I'm sure Trump gave the Secret Service a sweet deal since they are renting out an entire floor so that they can protect Trump in Trump Tower.

MUnited83

For you.
Trump is preparing a whole purge the moment he steps in the White House. He is nothing more than a fascist and he will fire anyone that isn't a loyalist or a yes man.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I like that the Secret Service has to rent out an entire floor of Trump Tower in order to provide security... I mean, the Secret Service is paying rent in Trump Tower to protect Trump. I'm sure Trump gave the Secret Service a sweet deal since they are renting out an entire floor so that they can protect Trump in Trump Tower.

They need to protect Melania and Baron, because they don't want to take Baron out of school so his mum is staying with him. At least that's the rumor, I hope for sanity's sake Baron just goes to school in DC.

edit: it's just through this school year, then the whole fam is off to DC. So what's that? June?

That's not an option anymore. Our way of life and democratic order is under attack.

Yes, but this hurts people more who already weren't having great lives, and had to worry about other things before Trump being elected was even considered an actual reality. This country is gonna go to hell unless they can do something about Trump before it's too late, and that's a big "unless".

mlclmtckr

Banned
He needs to make room for Eric to lead his personal Praetorian Guard. I bet he's got some real snazzy uniforms planned already.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Between this and James Okeefes Project Veritas getting caught for attempting to hire "leftists" to cause violence at their own inauguration.. might be a good idea to make sure the pantry is full because it might be a hectic couple of weeks.

Lautaro

As a southamerican, I'm amazed at how similar all these events are to our own politics. A demagogue gets in power and then purges the government from anyone but the yes men (and maybe leaves a few "loyal" generals to appear "strong").

If the demagogue is from the left there's chances of nationalizing/sinking companies, if he's from the right there's chances of a "self-coup" where he can get rid of all opposition (both types rob the people blind).

I'm telling you this because I wouldn't be surprised if this keeps scalating. You want to predict what could happen, just look at southamerica.

Now, how to fight this without destroying democracy? well, you need to step up your protest game, its not enough to make something trend in Twitter or make a pacific march, protests are supposed to be annoying and paralizing for the government.

I'm afraid your unions are too weak to shut down the country for a day though.

Gutek

As a southamerican, I'm amazed at how similar all these events are to our own politics. A demagogue gets in power and then purges the government from anyone but the yes men (and maybe leaves a few "loyal" generals to appear "strong").

If the demagogue is from the left there's chances of nationalizing/sinking companies, if he's from the right there's chances of a "self-coup" where he can get rid of all opposition (both types rob the people blind).

I'm telling you this because I wouldn't be surprised if this keeps scalating. You want to predict what could happen, just look at southamerica.

Now, how to fight this without destroying democracy? well, you need to step up your protest game, its not enough to make something trend in Twitter or make a pacific march, protests are supposed to be annoying and paralizing for the government.

I'm afraid your unions are too weak to shut down the country for a day though.

Or Turkey & Russia for that matter.

Btw. Your point of view is appreciated and vitally important to help us understand what is currently happening.

Just wait for 2020 where he loses and then claims there's voter fraud.

Then the shit will really hit the fan.

Didn't you guys hear? The 2020 US president elect will be decided by the votes of the American and Russian peoples. They'll become such a strong ally that we will honor them with a legal say in our election!

Opto

Banned
Seems like John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra were optimistic in how long it would be before we had enough of a madman in office to kick off a coup

so this is what he meant by "draining the swamp"? Get rid of everyone Obama appointed/worked under Obama? Fucking took half this country for a ride.

sangreal

According to the Washington Post, the orders "came from the Pentagon."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...5a0438-d99e-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html

Does Trump control the Pentagon already?

Read your own link, for fucks sake

As is customary, Schwartz, like other presidential appointees, submitted a letter of resignation to give the new administration a clean start. He’d done so before, but the Obama administration twice declined to accept. The Trump transition team made the decision to accept Schwartz’s resignation, according to a military official with knowledge of the situation.

Blizzard

Banned
Read your own link, for fucks sake
That's weird. So for every elected President, the D.C. national guard commanding general has to leave in the middle of inauguration, except the new administration always rejects the letter of resignation until after the inauguration?

And this is the first administration that accepted it?

Yep.

How the fuck do people not care about this.

Holy shit.

The only option looks like planning an exit strategy.

And yeah some people will be like GOOD GET OUT, and they're entitled to feel that way, but they're the same kind of people that believe Kim Jong doesn't poop and that North Korea really is the best place on earth.

It's idealistic to say that we should stay and fight. We don't say the antiNazi Germans should have stayed and resisted (even if we praise the people brave enough to do so) we understand that if a country goes to shit maybe it's time to leave that country and try and make a better life elsewhere.

you wouldn't defend yourself if someone was trying to harm you? because that's what this all comes down to.

Fucking around is literally the only thing he does.

He doesn't know what he's doing. All he knows is that he is scared of shit of any possible opposition.

Is it possible that Trump did this because "oh, I'm president, that means I'm in charge of the National Guard"?

Whats fascinating is that right wing media is reporting this as Obama fired the guy to ensure chaos reigns during the inauguration.

I suspect the truth is somewhere more in the middle, where Trump has accepted resignations from all posts that were appointed by the President (we know its true for all ambassadors) to show a weird sort of "I'm different, I don't keep politic appointees around from day 1" pose. It has nothing to do with specific posts or positions, just all appointments are being left empty from the start and this one comes out really weird since its so directly tied to the inauguration ceremonies.

Taramoor

Whats fascinating is that right wing media is reporting this as Obama fired the guy to ensure chaos reigns during the inauguration.

I suspect the truth is somewhere more in the middle, where Trump has accepted resignations from all posts that were appointed by the President (we know its true for all ambassadors) to show a weird sort of "I'm different, I don't keep politic appointees around from day 1" pose. It has nothing to do with specific posts or positions, just all appointments are being left empty from the start and this one comes out really weird since its so directly tied to the inauguration ceremonies.

I think the answer is much simpler than that.

Trump and his group don't know how government works at this level. It is tradition to submit a resignation, and it is tradition that it be denied at least temporarily.

But in a business environment would you ever say "You can't quit."?

Koomaster

I feel like if there were time he'd literally fire every single employee hired on by the gov't even down to janitors, gardeners and tour guides. A complete full sweep just to be petty and swing his dick around.

Wulfric

This is like letting a bull loose in a china shop. On what earth is a commanding general relieved of his duties in the middle of one of his unit's major operations? I don't doubt his successor's ability, but this seems like a classic Trumpian case of "if it ain't broke, fuck it up anyways".

It's not like he's shown any sort of humility either. Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom