• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra: Rogue Corps Isn’t A 2D Sidescroller Because Of Its 4 Player Co-op

Mista

Banned
contra-rogue-corps-1024x576.jpg

Contra has had isometric perspectives in its games before, it built its legacy as a 2D side-scrolling run n gun shooter. So with Rogue Corps, why exactly did Konami go in this direction, and was there ever a time when they were considering making Rogue Corps a side-scrolling game as well?

In an interview with GamingBolt, lead developer Nakazato told GamingBolt that though 2D side-scrolling gameplay had initially been considered, the developers wanted to include 4 player co-op, and they felt a 3D top-down perspective would be better suited to that.
“Of course, Contra: Rogue Corps was based on the 2D sidescrolling games. But what we’re really enjoying is playing the game with your brother or your sister, and we wanted to expand that to four players. But having four players on-screen in a 2D scrolling game is kind of messy. So we thought that make in the game for 3D would have a different point of you that would be easier for the players to understand where they are and what they’re doing.”

KOMANI

KOMANI
It would be hard to top Hard Corps. I’m ok with this decision. I had always imagined that Contra would eventually become a Gears clone and Castlevania a Souls clone, but that’s not in the cards. If the game turns out to be fun, and according to some publications it is, then cool.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Never had any problems with that. Not even with the TMNT games where the 4 turtles are the same color.
Not the same thing. Those games aren’t on a 2D plane. You can move up, down, left, right.
Smash would be a better example because you have 4 players on a 2D plane, and the action is sometimes hard to follow on those games.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Isometric view is the least problem here.

The game is ugly as fuck, looks clunky, and the trailer blows

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame what Konami has become.
roguecorps-featured-e1560276182769-800x400.jpg

contra-750x500.jpg

wKTsRsG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Naked Lunch

I love Contra to death but everytime i see this game i cant get past the awful ugly ass ground textures. I probably wont play it because of this.

Even though I probably would've preferred a game in the style of Contra: Shattered Soldier, I shall remain cautiously optimistic. Contra has always been a outrageous, over-the-top series, and I expect this entry to be no different.

Top Bottom