• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could it be... Kerryisms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Banned
Yup. And you thought only the other guy was dumb. Of course, voting for a 3rd party or independent candidate is still "throwing your vote away" at best or "a vote for Bush" at worst.

'The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
- John F. Kerry

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- John F. Kerry

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one
word is 'to be prepared'."
- John F. Kerry

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the
future."
- John F. Kerry

"The future will be better tomorrow."
- John F. Kerry

"We're going to have the best educated Ame! rican people in the world."
- John F. Kerry

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."
- John F. Kerry

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm
commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe."
- John F. Kerry

"Public speaking is very easy."
- John F. Kerry

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
- John F. Kerry

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."
- ! John F. Kerry

"For NASA, space is still a high priority."
&n bsp; - John F. Kerry

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."
- John F. Kerry

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in
our air and water that are doing it."
- John F. Kerry

"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system."
- John F. Kerry

DJ Sl4m

I remember reading these years ago, I think people just rehash the same quotes and put a new name on them for each election.

Kerry is a fake, but I think these quotes are too.

Alucard

Banned
Uhh...I remember reading a lot of the same quotes with the name "Bush" as the speaker.

Either way, I wouldn't like to be living in the States this November. Best of luck, guys and gals.

Triumph

Banned
DJ Sl4m said:
I remember reading these years ago, I think people just rehash the same quotes and put a new name on them for each election.

Kerry is a fake, but I think these quotes are too.
Well damn. Like O'reilly said, I should do my own research and not believe everything that gets emailed to me.

That said, Kerry is still a douche and a corporately funded tool, and there is nothing he can do(or will do anyhow) that will get him my vote.

DJ Sl4m

Alucard said:
Uhh...I remember reading a lot of the same quotes with the name "Bush" as the speaker.

Either way, I wouldn't like to be living in the States this November. Best of luck, guys and gals.

Voting is very easy, most people just don't think about it ahead of time.
To beat the crowds, simply sign up as you plan on being out of town during voting and you can vote on an earlier date that the normal votes are taken.

Santo

Raoul Duke said:
That said, Kerry is still a douche and a corporately funded tool, and there is nothing he can do(or will do anyhow) that will get him my vote.

Nothing he can do to get your vote? Wow, way to keep an open mind.

As for a corporately funded "tool", which politican hasn't been one? Big business runs government, just the way things work around these parts, sorry.

And douche, why is he a douche? Did he call you a bad name? He is a senator, I doubt anything he has done in his career THUS FAR warrants such a harsh response.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah, most all of these are old "Quayle-isms".. how far back some of these urban myth style quotes go, is your best guess... but none of these are Kerry's.

Hournda

Voting 3rd party is not throwing away your vote or a vote for Bush and anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or a fascist.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Nintendo Ate My Children said:
Or a realist.

if you dont intend on voting for either how is that a vote for bush? you think both of them are douches. Its not like you would have voted democrat anyway. people just go on the assumption that if you lean towards the left youre democrat and if you lean towards the right you are republican. So if you vote green party you are a "left leaning voter" which means thats -1 for the democrats! That doesnt make any sense to me. I might lean towards the left, but that doesnt mean my vote belongs to one certain party. If i vote 3rd party i will vote in protest, not because i want to give bush the presidency.

people just go on the assumption that if you lean towards the left youre democrat and if you lean towards the right you are republican. So if you vote green party you are a "left leaning voter" which means thats -1 for the democrats! That doesnt make any sense to me. I might lean towards the left, but that doesnt mean my vote belongs to one certain party. If i vote 3rd party i will vote in protest, not because i want to give bush the presidency.

If you're a left leaning voter, I would think you would prefer Kerry over Bush, even if you don't like either of them. In other words, if there was no 3rd party candidate, given the choice, you would prefer Kerry. That's how you're costing Kerry a vote by voting for a 3rd party that will not only never win, but won't gather enough votes to even make the protest vote meaningful to either party.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Nintendo Ate My Children said:
If you're a left leaning voter, I would think you would prefer Kerry over Bush, even if you don't like either of them. In other words, if there was no 3rd party candidate, given the choice, you would prefer Kerry. That's how you're costing Kerry a vote by voting for a 3rd party that will not only never win, but won't gather enough votes to even make the protest vote meaningful to either party.

But what if i dont prefer kerry?

Hournda

By that same logic, if you live in about half of the states of the U.S. where the polls predict either Bush or Kerry will win by a lot then voting for either is basically just throwing your vote away. If you live in a state where Bush is supposed to win by a lot then voting for Bush is dumb because you're just flogging a dead horse since Bush only needs to win by 1 vote and if he wins by 1,000,000 votes then that's 999,999 votes that were wasted, and voting for Kerry (who is going to lose anyway) is just a waste of a vote since you know he can't win.

Zaptruder

Banned
sp0rsk said:
if you dont intend on voting for either how is that a vote for bush? you think both of them are douches. Its not like you would have voted democrat anyway. people just go on the assumption that if you lean towards the left youre democrat and if you lean towards the right you are republican. So if you vote green party you are a "left leaning voter" which means thats -1 for the democrats! That doesnt make any sense to me. I might lean towards the left, but that doesnt mean my vote belongs to one certain party. If i vote 3rd party i will vote in protest, not because i want to give bush the presidency.

If you're a left leaning voter; your ideals will be more closely aligned with that of Kerry than that of Bush.

However if you vote for, say Nader, while you'd be voting for a left leaning candidate, the right lean which is relatively more unified under Bush would benefit more than the left lean.

Moreover, if people like Nader weren't running; while some would vote for Bush, and some wouldn't vote at all, the result would be that Kerry would get a net profit of votes from Nader if he were to quit.

If you're voting is protest, so be it... but I should present to you an alternative option; use your vote to vote AGAINST Bush. If you vote for Nader, it doesn't affect Bush eitherway; as the only legitimate candidate with a chance is Kerry.

"I shared a story the other day during a press conference where I talked about a dinner I had with Prime Minister Koizumi of Japan. And we're eating Kobe beef. I don't know whether it's grown here in Minnesota or not, but it's real good."-George W. Bush

oh my fucking god.

CrimsonSkies said:
I'm still laughing about his "Sensitive" war comment.

What's funny about that? You, like Cheny and the other idiot republicants, have taken his quote of context and flooded the media with that talking point. Quite a stirring way to run a campaign.

HalfPastNoon said:
What's funny about that? You, like Cheny and the other idiot republicants, have taken his quote of context and flooded the media with that talking point. Quite a stirring way to run a campaign.

the funny part was when the Daily Show pulled out a speech from Dubya just a DAY after Kerry's comments where Bush used the word "sensitive" in regards to the war effort.

White Man

I despise both Bush and Kerry. I'm still registered in PA, though, which is one of the more important swing states. Even though I strongly dislike him, and think a soggy paper towel would be a better candidate, I'm voting Kerry just to get the insane religious folks out of the executive branch.

Ninja Scooter said:
the funny part was when the Daily Show pulled out a speech from Dubya just a DAY after Kerry's comments where Bush used the word "sensitive" in regards to the war effort.

the fact of the matter is that neither cheney or bush were talking about the same "sensitive." cheney took kerry's quote of context to criticize him, then bush goes on the trail and did what cheney blamed kerry for. what a bunch of fucking jokes...

kerry's "sensitive" remark was in regards to building alliances. dick cheney needs to die.

edit- yeah, that was a funny segment.

These people are only human. I don't know why people take these "isms" so seriously.

If every stupid thing you ever said was made public people would think you're an idiot too, the same goes for everyone.

White Man, why do you despise Kerry?

I'm curious; his voting record isn't too bad, and he's probably one-quarter the corporate shill Bush is. Hell, I suspect Nader's probably more crooked than him. He wouldn't be my first choice as a Dem, since I liked Kooch, Edwards, and Dean better, but I think a lot of liberal Dems are really getting down on him unfairly and without reason.

Hournda

HalfPastNoon said:
the fact of the matter is that neither cheney or bush were talking about the same "sensitive." cheney took kerry's quote of context to criticize him, then bush goes on the trail and did what cheney blamed kerry for. what a bunch of fucking jokes...

kerry's "sensitive" remark was in regards to building alliances. dick cheney needs to die.

What they didn't tell you about Bush's use of the word "sensitive" is that the speech in which Bush used the term is from 2001 (pre 9/11).

Hournda

No, but Jon Stewart used a Michael Moore-ian tactic of implying that George Bush said that right after John Kerry did even though it was years ago.

Zaptruder said:
Moreover, if people like Nader weren't running; while some would vote for Bush, and some wouldn't vote at all, the result would be that Kerry would get a net profit of votes from Nader if he were to quit.

Not everyone agrees.
http://www.gp.org/organize/spoiled.html
Al From, chair of the Democratic Leadership Council, wrote in Blueprint Magazine (1-24-01) that according to their own exit polls, Bush would have beat Gore by one percentage point if Nader hadn’t run in 2000.

Zaptruder said:
If you're voting is protest, so be it... but I should present to you an alternative option; use your vote to vote AGAINST Bush. If you vote for Nader, it doesn't affect Bush eitherway; as the only legitimate candidate with a chance is Kerry.
A vote for Nader/Cobb/whomever is a vote AGAINST the two-party duopoly. If I think it's shitty, but am never willing to back that up with my vote, why should anyone be forced to care what I think about it? If there was a system in place like instant runoff voting would I choose Kerry as my second or third choice? Very likely. However, we don't. And unless there's a group who seem to be a potential prize, there would be no reason for members of the established parties to rock the boat in such a way that could lessen their grip on things.

And as people have pointed out in this thread, if you're among the majority who's not in a "swing state", your vote is pretty much useless anyway.

Everyone says stupid things, particularly under pressure. I'm sure I could write an entire book full of them with just people on this forum.

However, I don't think it's that Bush says them, as I figure everyone is allowed a few (at least in my mind)... it's the frequency and level of idiocy many of them display.

White Man

I'm curious; his voting record isn't too bad, and he's probably one-quarter the corporate shill Bush is. Hell, I suspect Nader's probably more crooked than him. He wouldn't be my first choice as a Dem, since I liked Kooch, Edwards, and Dean better, but I think a lot of liberal Dems are really getting down on him unfairly and without reason.

Simply put, he wasn't the best candidate of all the contenders. I've just been major-league pissed off at the Democratic party since the whole Dean ordeal. I think, to this day, that he would've been the best candidate. He had decent views (yay health care!) and was intelligetn and articulate. I have no idea why it appears he was put down by the very party he could've given direction.

Kerry just seems too moderate to me. I've been told he has special interest issues, too. He's certainly not the man that could lend direction to the Democratic party

In a lot of ways, this whole campaign has left me speechless. If the Democrats had a competent, charismatic candidate on the trail, this election would be a slam dunk. It should be a slam dunk.

EDIT: I think this election, specifically the early stages of the Democratic race, has turned me off-off-off politics. I don't even want to think about this stuff anymore. This shouldn't be a "lesser of two evils" race.

firex

I'm not in a swing state, so I'm going to vote for whoever the hell I want! I won't make an impact even in my town, what with all the hardcore republicans.

DJ Sl4m

White Man said:
Simply put, he wasn't the best candidate of all the contenders. I've just been major-league pissed off at the Democratic party since the whole Dean ordeal. I think, to this day, that he would've been the best candidate. He had decent views (yay health care!) and was intelligetn and articulate. I have no idea why it appears he was put down by the very party he could've given direction.

Kerry just seems too moderate to me. I've been told he has special interest issues, too. He's certainly not the man that could lend direction to the Democratic party

In a lot of ways, this whole campaign has left me speechless. If the Democrats had a competent, charismatic candidate on the trail, this election would be a slam dunk. It should be a slam dunk.

EDIT: I think this election, specifically the early stages of the Democratic race, has turned me off-off-off politics. I don't even want to think about this stuff anymore. This shouldn't be a "lesser of two evils" race.

Yea, I feel the same way, only my newfound resentment towards the democratic party started with Gore loss and the way the entire democratic party and every media outlet the democrats had control of acted like total crybabys.

Bush isn't very bright, but he's honest.
Kerry is a total fake and a liar, a huge question mark to what he really believes IMO.

I'm voting Bush

"Lesser of two evils" is very much a subjective thing. I don't think Kerry is particularly evil, and I'm certainly not displased to vote for him even though I can imagine much better candidates. Outside of his cynical votes for the war in Iraq, I agree in some measure with his voting record, and we can at least guarantee that he's more interested in civil liberties, human rights, and religious freedom than the Bushies.

How is Bush honest? He's flip-flopped on virtually EVERY campign promise he's made, and he's gotten over a thousand soldiers killed for NOTHING by deceiving the American public and Congress.

If you want to know what Kerry believes, try going to his website and reading his platform, which gives great detail on his stances on every significant issue as well as his plans to deal with them once in office.

It's kinda scary when voting becomes not a practical decision for some of you but a statement of your personality and social position to the rest of the world. "Democrats annoy me these days; I'm voting Bush." "Everyone's a venal corporate shill, I'm staying home." "I can't get what I want immediately, so I'd like to see Bush fuck up America even further - ha ha!"

White Man

we can at least guarantee that he's more interested in civil liberties, human rights, and religious freedom than the Bushies.

This stuff is important to me.

Whoever gets to be president next probably won't be looked upon fondly by history. The winner of this election is going to be responsible for cleaning up 4 years-worth of questionable, marginal, and outright horrible decisions. It won't be a clean or easy job, and I can't possibly see much new policy getting through.

I just miss Dean. You think GAF would've loved him with his high cocky and funny quotient. Actually, I miss Kucinich most of all, but at least I knew he had absolutely no chance from the get go. He would've had the coolest presidential nickname ever, though. He would've given a nice direction to the Democratic party.

Mumbles

I have to say, Bush has had an incredibly hard time telling the truth in any circumstance. He lied about his tax cuts when he was campaigning for president, and about the costs and effects of his various initiatives when he was in office (NCLB, prescription drugs). And of course, when he's not lying, he's obscuring - his administration has been incredibly secretive, to the point where they had to be dragged in front of the 9/11 commission kicking and screaming.

And like most politicians, he's been happy to take credit for issues that he has opposed - 2001's $300 tax rebate checks, for example.

DJ Sl4m

You know it's pretty funny when you say Bush flipflops, but Kerry hasn't, it must one of those things where people see what they want (not saying you, but everyone, including me), because the entire time Kerry's flipflopped over almost everything before he finally made his decisions on what his beliefs were (after getting poll results no doubt).

His site with his views (at this point mean nothing to me, when he's already proven to be whatever you want him to be to get the vote, his flipflopping was the first thing to turn me off)

As for my distaste with the demo party, sure I dislike thier pushy pouty ways, but that's not going to make me totally disregard a candidate, Kerry did that on his own.

Santo

DJ Sl4m said:
You know it's pretty funny when you say Bush flipflops, but Kerry hasn't, it must one of those things where people see what they want (not saying you, but everyone, including me), because the entire time Kerry's flipflopped over almost everything before he finally made his decisions on what his beliefs were (after getting poll results no doubt).

His site with his views (at this point mean nothing to me, when he's already proven to be whatever you want him to be to get the vote, his flipflopping was the first thing to turn me off)

As for my distaste with the demo party, sure I dislike thier pushy pouty ways, but that's not going to make me totally disregard a candidate, Kerry did that on his own.

Honestly, you sound like a moron. Good thing they don't let 10th graders vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom