• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Nintendo Expand Into PC Gaming?

wildfire

Banned
When investment oriented people say Nintendo should move to mobile they are essentially saying Nintendo should move into PC gaming.

The same problems that exist in PC gaming exist whether you use a desktop or a smartphone.

Fragmented OS
Fragmented hardware
Hardware inadequately designed for living room or portable gaming.
Less controls on piracy.
No way to gain royalties for being on a Nintendo platform.

Project Renaissance

If Nintendo was going to move into PC gaming this is what I would be interested in seeing them do.

Nintendo Micro-OS

Micro OS are different from regular OS in 2 distinct ways.
Micro OS have inferior software application performance.
Micro OS have superior security features.

Due the 1st reason, research on micro-os's have withered since the performance hit is simply too big but that research was drastically reduced around 2002 and hardware is a lot more powerful than it was back then.

I'm very interested in micro-os for the 2nd reason because it would make a PC almost impossible to infect with malware because it restricts application access from the core OS functionality so much. These restrictions are the reasons why applications take large hits on performance.

Nintendo offering a micro-os would give them a competitive advantage over Microsoft, Apple and Google.

It could open them up to having a stronger relationship with AMD and Intel because now there would be a new reason for consumers to buy their future flash and CPU products. In turn this would open up relationships on the 3rd party manufacturers who rely so much on Intel and AMD making new products.

Nintendo Hardware Seal of Approval

Nintendo could look at the top 4 manufacturers/rebranders of each pc component and pick 2-3 products that would get their seal of approval.

For hardware without that seal they'll still work like PC games do now.

Nintendo will offer superior support for PC configurations using these components because they can optimize their software to these configurations.

This means no system crashes for running their software.
Less frame drops.
Higher frame rates.
Less system resources used up by RAM, CPU and GPU.

Nintendo Crafthouse and Nintendo Guild

The crafthouse is essentially a community repository for mod projects. All Nintendo games will offer mod tools and community contributions and collaborations will be done at the crafthouse.

Hobbyists of excellence will be marked by Nintendo staffers as people that can join The Guild. It is their decision to join if they have been marked. Guild members would be sponsored to make 1 or 2 official games to be published by Nintendo. Nintendo will not only provide partial funding but will fine tune their skills. Essentially an apprenticeship program.

Discoverability

Nintendo would employ 4 strategies to make it easier to discover new potential games.

Lexicon Enforcement
Nintendo would create a dictionary of key terms to describe a game. They would strictly enforce these definitions so when you do a search term you know what you are looking for will be found if you use the right combination of key words. Violators can be reported and addressed.

Animation search
We already know through Google's content ID claim system their exist search engines sophisticated enough to search for video content with video content instead of key words.

This would probably be expensive to implement but well worth it when we are moving into an age of sharing animated gifs.

Proactive marketing
With the help of big data and higher royalties fees, for those who elect to use this service, Nintendo can help sell your game across the web by finding people with a relationship to playing the type of games you offer. They will be to buy ad space for you on websites you wouldn't think of advertising on or couldn't afford to do as well as Nintendo could as one big buyer.

Friends association
With the help of big data and social networks Nintendo can aggregate the interests a circle of friends and introduce them to games they would enjoy sharing their experiences with.

Online community

Nintendo already have a patent on a system to have players help each other play games remotely. They just need to refine it and implement it.

[edit]

Virtual Shell
Nintendo has to compromise somewhat on having their software on other OS even if they give theirs away. They should design a virtualization platform so people can play their Nintendo games on another operating system because they don't care for the unique values their OS provides and it is lacking in multimedia and productivity software they would expect to use.

[/edit]

Caveat

If Nintendo was going to jump into PC gaming I would expect them to require some form of hardware DRM chip to be installed to run their games. They should offer this free of charge including shipping. If they refuse to do that then they should tie it together with hardware that is useful like storage so we can carry our games library wherever we want or a TPM module to cover up an security holes a micro-console can't enforce.

Atolm

There's nothing more antagonistic than Nintendo and PC gaming. So who knows, maybe if Iwata goes nuts..

Majukun

There's nothing more antagonistic than Nintendo and PC gaming. So who knows, maybe if Iwata goes nuts..

hopefully iwata will not be a part of "nintendo's next step" if it really happens..it would make any attempt of change useless

PC gamers wouldn't be happy about all the restrictions and DRM and specialized/preferred parts and the OS. Also, piracy exists, but is a non-issue at this point if your game is good, so why bother?

They could just release games on PC if they wanted to (with 1000% less costs than your proposed method) but they never will because that's not what they do.

Instead of simply changing to PC or other third party development.

I think that they should experiment with it again, like they did many years ago.
SEGA also released software for the PC, while they were still a hardware company.

PC gamers wouldn't be happy about all the restrictions and DRM and specialized/preferred parts and the OS. Also, piracy exists, but is a non-issue at this point if your game is good, so why bother?

They could just release games on PC if they wanted to (with 1000% less costs than your proposed method) but they never will because that's not what they do.

That pretty much covers it. You're better off waiting for 3ds and Wii U emulation, or some kind of Nintendo cloud streaming service.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
PC gaming is primarily a hardcore base, who are what Nintendo is not interested in.

wait, i thought PC gaming was all F2P and casual games?

there is no way a nintendo OS would touch my hard drive, they can barely hold a rudimentary online service together. get in the queue for greenlight like everyone else.

epmode

I'd be up for it but that's only because I want everything on PC. Great forwards compatibility, performance and image quality that improves over time, etc.

It will never, ever happen.

wait, i thought PC gaming was all F2P and casual games?

Yeah, that comment was pretty amazing. The PC gaming market is ridiculously diverse.

Juice

This thread seems less than half-baked. Aside from the silly named and unexplained features, listed the entire OP is circuitous logic:

1. Nintendo needs to go PC because they can't sustain an entire platform
2. Nintendo needs to go and create an entirely custom OS based on arcane technology that would make their games perform worse than other games on similar hardware, essentially saddling them with their own ass-backwards platform
3. Nintendo fails to sustain their own platform. GOTO 1

Riki

They have no reason or desire to. They will continue to do what they are doing now because that is what they are best at.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the concept of adapting a game to the thousand different variables inherent to PC gaming is completely alien to Nintendo, so I dont see it happening

I doubt they'll do it, unless it's for older material, and only if they even let the PC gaming idea get to the upper ranks and be approved.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I have been suggesting something similar. They could partner with Valve.

Nintendo can still sell some kind of hardware to make this possible. Sell a dongle and controller pack that is required to decrypt the games for people wanting to add this to their PC. This would be a high margin item. Have the same feature included or available in steam machines. Nintendo could also sell Nintendo branded systems that are just Steam machines with this added capability. The problem there would be price for the base steam machine unit. So maybe they still need a cheap living room box that does nothing but Nintendo games and adding the PC option is just a way to expand their market.

They wouldn't really need to partner with Valve in any financial way, but they could. You could have Nintendo and Steam stores completely separate profit wise as just the fact that both are available together would be a huge synergy.

If given the choice between buying a Nintendo console or a cheaper, high margin PC addon that allows me to buy and play Nintendo games on my PC at higher settings, I would certainly opt for that.

Sounds insane to me. With all those restrictions and limitations, all you'll end up with is a console that costs as much as a PC. In other words: the worst of all worlds.

pixlexic

Banned
I personally think it would be a good rout for them.

The only problem is that nintendo likes to make thier games tight and polished so there would not be much in the way of graphical options I would guess .. Which is ok by me but a lot PC gamers seem to be very snobbish about things like that.

Hubb

PC gaming is primarily a hardcore base, who are what Nintendo is not interested in.

Tablets are changing that every day. We can argue whether that is aimed more towards the mobile market or the PC, but I know a ton of people who I wouldn't consider PC gamers that play games on their tablets.

wildfire

Banned
Instead of simply changing to PC or other third party development.

I think that they should experiment with it again, like they did many years ago.
SEGA also released software for the PC, while they were still a hardware company.

I'm not saying they should move into it wholesale but expand their business into it.

This thread seems less than half-baked. Aside from the silly named and unexplained features, listed the entire OP is circuitous logic:

1. Nintendo needs to go PC because they can't sustain an entire platform
2. Nintendo needs to go and create an entirely custom OS based on arcane technology that would make their games perform worse than other games on similar hardware, essentially saddling them with their own ass-backwards platform
3. Nintendo fails to sustain their own platform. GOTO 1

You didn't read my post at all. Thanks for trying to contribute but what you think I said had nothing to do with what I actually said.

1. I pointed out that some, maybe most, investors were interested in Nintendo moving wholesale.
Thinking on it this statement is the same as saying Nintendo should move to the PC market.

2. I don't think nintendo should move to mobile but the idea of Nintendo is a PC making dev is fun to think about so I brainstorm ways what I would want to see Nintendo do to be part of the PC market that would be relevant.

3. There is no 3.

Nintendo could make a steammachine, and it would be a nice dream come true.

It's an option but giving royalties to Valve wouldn't sit well with Nintendo. They would form their own store.
the concept of adapting a game to the thousand different variables inherent to PC gaming is completely alien to Nintendo, so I dont see it happening

There simply is no way Nintendo could bring silky smooth gameplay to hardware as fragmented as PC. That's why I suggest they meet us half way and pick certain PC parts they'll support to make games halfway between the standards of what they do on console and the instability we currently get on PC.

antitrop

If you asked Genesis owners in the early 90's if SEGA games would ever be on a Nintendo platform, they would have responded with "hell no", too.

If you asked Genesis owners in the early 90's if SEGA games would ever be on a Nintendo platform, they would have responded with "hell no", too.

This is not about Nintendo games on other platforms, but Nintendo creating an insane proprietary hardware/OS/DRM combo for PC to release their games on.

I guess a lot of people would answer the question "Will Nintendo release games on other platforms at some point if the current trend continues" with "yes/probably".

jayu26

They will expand into mobile gaming before PC gaming, and they really don't want to expand into mobile gaming...

wildfire

Banned
I have been suggesting something similar. They could partner with Valve.

Nintendo can still sell some kind of hardware to make this possible. Sell a dongle and controller pack that is required to decrypt the games for people wanting to add this to their PC. This would be a high margin item. Have the same feature included or available in steam machines. Nintendo could also sell Nintendo branded systems that are just Steam machines with this added capability. The problem there would be price for the base steam machine unit. So maybe they still need a cheap living room box that does nothing but Nintendo games and adding the PC option is just a way to expand their market.

They wouldn't really need to partner with Valve in any financial way, but they could. You could have Nintendo and Steam stores completely separate profit wise as just the fact that both are available together would be a huge synergy.

If given the choice between buying a Nintendo console or a cheaper, high margin PC addon that allows me to buy and play Nintendo games on my PC at higher settings, I would certainly opt for that.

This is an interesting alternative. Selling hardware DRM at a high margin would put people off IMO but it is a possible approach they can use.

With this approach a device like this doesn't have to be just for a PC due to varying specs. You could have it connect to a Roku or Apple TV as a dongle and restrict the type of games to what can be supported by the hardware it is installed to for optimal play.

Sounds insane to me. With all those restrictions and limitations, all you'll end up with is a console that costs as much as a PC. In other words: the worst of all worlds.

It's not a console I was talking about. Just a PC.

How would you like to see Nintendo be part of the PC gaming ecosystem?

Why would Nintendo expand its services in the PC gaming space, when its ''easier'' to launch something like a Nintendo game store app on iOS/ Android ecosystem? As this will give Nintendo access to hundreds of millions of users: 1.4 billion, to be exact and this number keeps growing and growing.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/06/800-million-android-smartphones-300-million-iphones-in-active-use-by-december-2013-study-says/

1. A PC is an open hardware platform where Nintendo doesn't have to pay anyone else royalty fees and they can have the option of setting up their own software infrastructure to charge royalty fees like they do now on their closed hardware.

2. General PC growth has been shrinking because general computing is shifting towards portable devices. PC gaming otoh is growing both on tablets and desktops.

Nintendo and PC? Can just see all the parents of kids looking to spend loads of extra cash on PC hardware.....

Nope and never!

Nintendo no matter what anyone says is for kids, they need to find away of getting kids to want there stuff instead of tablet gaming...

Which they just need to push there characters more in kids space, advertising on kids channels and tv shows

They just need to make mario cool for the kids again

Jinko

And doubtfully ever. They still have a successful device and plenty of merhandise even with a floundering console.
People really need to separate the WiiU's failure from Nintendo as a whole failing.

But the WiiU could be the start of a downwards spiral, how exactly will Nintendo get back on top (or even climb out of the hole), when they have such little experience in online infrastructure and can't/won't compete with the likes of MS and Sony on a hardware level.

Plus every generation of mobiles encroaches more and more on their hand-held division to the point that Japanese companies are looking to release game on those devices instead of the 3DS.

It's not a console I was talking about. Just a PC.

How would you like to see Nintendo be part of the PC gaming ecosystem?

But when you're proposing a custom OS and DRM chips and stuff to lock down the platform to only play licensed Nintendo games, it's no longer a PC any more - it's a console that happens to be built from PC parts.

If Nintendo want to be part of the 'PC gaming ecosystem' (which I'm pretty sure they don't) they need to conform to the same standards as everyone else, instead of trying to create their own little ghetto.

Roshin

I have Sega Megadrive & Genesis Classics on Steam. Basically an emulator with a frontend and then you buy game packs (ie roms) for it. Nothing stopping Nintendo from doing a NES & SNES Classics if they wanted to. NES and SNES titles are already pirated to hell and back on PC, so why not offer a legal option and make some extra money from these games?

wildfire

Banned
But when you're proposing a custom OS and DRM chips and stuff to lock down the platform to only play licensed Nintendo games, it's no longer a PC any more - it's a console that happens to be built from PC parts.

If Nintendo want to be part of the 'PC gaming ecosystem' (which I'm pretty sure they don't) they need to conform to the same standards as everyone else, instead of trying to create their own little ghetto.

I get where you are coming from but my suggestions didn't exclude Nintendo from forcing people into specific hardware. For the DRM I was just acknowledging this is something Nintendo would have a high chance of doing and suggesting what they could do to make it less annoying, make it free or have useful hardware included with it.

Every PC dev does QA tests for as many hardware configurations as they can afford to test with. Nintendo could one up PC devs by offering software that is superior in its efficiency as long as you choose to buy the hardware they will support with these capabilities. If you choose to buy different hardware because of price or specific performance needs for other apps you can still play Nintendo PC games on it. They just will play as efficiently as all the other PC games you also play instead of better.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No. Nintendo will go with smartphones and tablets. Platforms everyone is playing on, not just the enthusiasts.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Putting Nintendo games on any other system tells people that they don't need to buy Nintendo's hardware to play their games. Less people buying hardware means considerably less revenue. This applies to everything, PC, iOS, becoming a third party etc.

If you're asking whether that is an option entirely, sure, it's possible. If you're asking whether that's a business option and something they'll likely consider, not a chance.

I like your idea about Nintendo Crafthouse though, that's cool.

No. Nintendo will go with smartphones and tablets. Platforms everyone is playing on, not just the enthusiasts.
The PC is more suited to their gameplay style, though.

And there are many PCs that are becoming successful in the tablet market. Windows 8 is focused on tablet support.

Nintendo has no idea what they're doing so this will never happen.

Nintendo would rather PC gamers continue pirating and emulating all of their games and not giving them any money rather than swallow their pride and release native versions of them on Steam and rake in millions of dollars in additional revenue.

Riki

Nintendo has no idea what they're doing so this will never happen.

Nintendo would rather PC gamers continue pirating and emulating all of their games and not giving them any money rather than swallow their pride and release native versions of them on Steam and rake in millions of dollars in additional revenue.
So why haven't Sony and Microsoft done this as well if it's such an easy to to "rake in millions"?

Top Bottom