• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could you accept this challenge?

Let's say some rich guy with way too much time on his hands came up to you and offered you a challenge. He gives you $10 million and your choice of any industry figure as an assistant, as well as 20 student programmers/designers/artists who will do whatever you tell them.

You task is to create a PS2 game that will sell at least 2 million copies in the US, and will be split roughly across demographic lines - about 25% of buyers under 12, 25% 13-18, 25% 19-25, 25% 26+, etc. There is an additional $5 million for marketing, you control the campaign, the packaging, etc. If you succeed, you get $100 million.

What do you create?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
how about 1 million copies?

Ranger X

I would pair with Miyamoto and would create the freakin ultimate true Mario game that would forever rule.
3D with "Maximo-linear" levels. Plenty of power ups and costumes switchable on the fly or very quickly ( ala Megaman). You could also play as other Mario characters and pair with Yoshi. A very simple and small targeting system (most probably zelda-like or Prime-like would be used from trowing things as eggs and also Fireballs when on foot with Mario and the Flower power-up.)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I'd take the $10 million, use 200k and develop an elaborate hoax (IE : vaporware) to cover my trail as I escape with the cash to an unextraditable country and retire.

bjork

Easy, one of two choices, possibly both, given the budget:

Lumberjack Olympics or World's Strongest Man competition, an either would ship with solid play but lackluster visuals (honestly, you'd only need to lift the control schemes found in EPYX's C64 sports games... Winter Games, California Game, etc), and a really awful boxart.

Ship them both at $9.99, watch them fly out the window.

Alcibiades

considering how many of the GTA customers when I worked last summer were little kids, I'd say you just about described something GTA did...

Top Bottom