• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paste Magazine's Best Games of 2023

Don’t believe anybody who says 2023 was a great year for videogames. Yeah, a lot of good games came out this year, across the whole spectrum of the industry, but the big story of 2023 has been the near-constant layoffs and studio closures that have left thousands of developers out of work, even as companies continue to make billions of dollars. It feels hollow to celebrate the work these developers do and the games they create knowing that so many of them are currently out of the industry, with a significant portion unlikely to ever work professionally in games again. And then there’s also the huge number of games journalists who lost their jobs this year, too, amid the larger contraction of media sites and positions that also defined 2023. This wasn’t a good year for games; it might actually be the worst in a good 40 years or so.
Still: the artists and designers who are endlessly exploited by this bullshit business deserve recognition. If you avoid the real world and only focus on what exists inside your computer or gaming consoles, you probably enjoyed yourself this year. The games business might be miserable, but the games? The games are good. Sometimes, at least, and more so in 2023 than usual. Between excellent new entries in some of the most beloved series, new benchmarks in major genres, poignant and inventive personal games, and the mind-bending metanarratives of our top two picks, 2023 gave us a wealth of enjoyable and smartly designed videogames, even as the industry shed jobs at an alarming pace. Here are the best of the bunch.

1. Alan Wake II
2. El Paso, Elsewhere
3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
4. Thirsty Suitors
5. Street Fighter 6
6. Venba
7. Cocoon
8. The Banished Vault
9. Resident Evil 4
10. Saltsea Chronicles
11. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
12. Super Mario Bros
13. Pizza Tower
14. Hi-Fi Rush
15. Marvel's Spider-Man 2
16. Metroid Prime Remastered
17. Dredge
18. Final Fantasy 16
19. Sea of Stars
20. A Space for the Unbound
21. The Making of Karateka
22. Jusant
23. Baldur's Gate 3
24. Oxenfree II: Lost Signals
25. Super Mario RPG
26. Pikmin 4
27. Tchia
28. Laika: Aged Through Blood
29. Chants of Sennaar
30. Goodbye Volcano High

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I haven't heard of 13 of the games on the list. Am I out of touch or are these all indies on PC?

Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Mossybrew

I guess performative hand-wringing and lamenting about layoffs is like the new land acknowledgement for this year.

ikbalCO

Weird list but whats up with the salt?

Isnt paste the magazine that “exploited” kim k’s pussy and “broke the internet”?

tommib

I like these guys because you always end up finding games that are completely under the radar. Never heard of El Paso and it looks very yummy.

A list that won’t look like all other lists. And that’s good.

clarky

Gold Member
Alan Wake is not grabbing me at all at the minute. Will push on for a bit, but I just think i'm getting to old and lacking patience for these types of games these days.

Looks great on PC though.

calistan

I actually like this list. It's something nobody other than the writer would agree with, but it's more interesting to me than lists that will have the same handful of games in bunch of contrived categories.

It reminds me of when film critics publish their end-of-year lists and they include pretentious arthouse stuff that was only shown half a dozen times at obscure festivals. This list had me googling a lot of names.

(That Volcano High game sounds epic!)

Blindy

Everyone is entitled to opinions but I feel some of the games like Sea of Stars are too low here. Also not a fan of putting remasters like Metroid Prime here but everyone does their lists their own way.

Top Bottom