• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criterion's Alex Ward (CD)/Fiona Sperry (SD) resign, start new studio, Crit on new IP

Drek

It's amazing how EA keep doing the same thing over and over. Studio makes seminal game(s), EA buys them, quality nosedives and studio heads resign before the entire outfit gets taken outside and shot, forced to work on map packs.

And they wonder why they're the most hated company all while doing exactly that.

This is what happens when the people running the company are completely out of touch with their audience. Got dat MBA doe.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have to say, the prospect of these two working on an indie game makes me sad. I don't know how would I say it... I want something more. I want them to have a studio big enough to make whatever THEY wanted for the future of Burnout.

There's been a direct implication from Alex Ward for ages that what they were thinking about doing next wasn't a racing game, so I'm assuming we wouldn't have seen that either way.

Hopefully we will see some Wii U support again from Alex, he was one of if not THE most vocal positively about it in a big publisher, until, you know, EA happened.

To this day I think Most Wanted U is in fact (well, Deux Ex should be as well) the only game with the definitive version on Wii U by far, they put a lot of care into it.

Another one bites the dust.
_proxy

Unsurprisingly (and sadly) this image will come in handy in the years to come. I bet the next Burnout entry will be microtransactions filled up the wazoo. RIP

iMax

I think he is hinting about something on his twitter account..

he kept tweeting tothefuture..
and his profile says. "Digital Adventurer and Designer of the Future"

something about future.. tada.. I´m a superrubberduckdetective..

He's been using that hashtag since Criterion spun-off into its current state to refer to their new project.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I just want Burnout 3: Takedown PC, EA. :( Give me that and then Criterion can die silently in the night. :(

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
We'll always have Burnout Paradise.

I'm honestly not sure where these guys can land. Perhaps look at the indie route?

I honestly don't know that there is enough of a market for arcade racers anymore. So many big franchises have basically been forgotten in recent years (PGR, Ridge Racer, Everything Sega ever made, Burnout) that I'm not sure anyone wants to take a risk on one

Jito

Banned
Why do EA pull this shit, driving companies into the ground. I was actually hopeful for a new Burnout game being announced this gen. Oh well, Burnout is dead and buried :(

Acidote

There's been a direct implication from Alex Ward for ages that what they were thinking about doing next wasn't a racing game, so I'm assuming we wouldn't have seen that either way.

Maybe not immediately, but I'm sure they would have tried something eventually. I don't mind the wait, but considering the course they seem to be taking I don't see them (or almost anybody) jumping from creating indie games to games with huge production values.
In most cases, if those indie games are unsuccessful they just jump out of the industry or start working for someone else. And if they're successful, they'll just keep doing those kind of games because they're making money with a lesser risk.

I'm not saying or implying they're going to make bad games at all, I'm just saying I most probably won't want to play them because they won't be my kind of thing.

KissVibes

Banned
All the racing developers at Criterion are working at Ghost games and Rivals is a fucking great game. Better than the abysmal Most Wanted reboot that happened, I assume, under the creative direction of Alex Ward. I'm very excited to see Ghost Games' Burnout installment, should be incredible.

Hopefully whatever the current Criterion is working on next is better than their last few NFS games and isn't Black-related, that game was and is laughably bad.

iMax

All the racing developers at Criterion are working at Ghost games and Rivals is a fucking great game. Better than the abysmal Most Wanted reboot that happened, I assume, under the creative direction of Alex Ward. I'm very excited to see Ghost Games' Burnout installment, should be incredible.

Hopefully whatever the current Criterion is working on next is better than their last few NFS games and isn't Black-related, that game was and is laughably bad.

Hot Pursuit was under Alex's direction ...but I believe Most Wanted was under Matt's, the new head of Criterion.

Could be good for Criterion you know. Studio has been around a long time, some fresh blood at the top.
A mix of Blur and Burnout, best of both worlds. :O
Blur already had some Burnout DNA, Fireproof worked on the Barcelona track and I think some others. Ex Criterion people.

scitek

The LinkedIn resumes suggest that is actually Criterion's project.

He even asks if the team members of team zero are safe on twitter a while back.

Ah, ok then. I do wonder how it'll shape up. Is iOS still something indie devs focus on first? Or would something like Steam be more of a priority now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah, ok then. I do wonder how it'll shape up. Is iOS still something indie devs focus on first? Or would something like Steam be more of a priority now?

It depends on the developer.

I suspect we could infer what platforms they're interested in if we scroll back through their twitter accounts enough.

Criterion's game is for next-gen, but obviously now that there's just two of them they might make different choices.

Xun

I'm glad Alex and Fiona have left Criterion, so I wish them all the best.

I'd love to see a Burnout-type circuit racer, but I can understand them wanting to move away from racing.

Hopefully we will see some Wii U support again from Alex, he was one of if not THE most vocal positively about it in a big publisher, until, you know, EA happened.

To this day I think Most Wanted U is in fact (well, Deux Ex should be as well) the only game with the definitive version on Wii U by far, they put a lot of care into it.
He seems to praise Nintendo a lot on Twitter, so hopefully.

I suppose it depends on the publisher though.

Nothing is confirmed, right?

Jeff-DSA

Need for Speed Most Wanted was great. I guess that's a decent send off for Alex from EA, but man, the dude deserved so much better.

I'm excited to see what he ends up doing next. He's such a passionate guy. I remember for Burnout 3 he was actually on the show floor at E3 working his booth. I talked to him for about 10 minutes, and then he leans in and says real quietly, "so, do you want to see Black?"

At that E3 Black was an invite-only demo, and very few outlets were getting invites. He walked us back to where they were showing it, and the bouncer dude was hesitant to let us in, even with Alex there. Finally Alex showed him his badge and then the guy let us in. We had to stand at the back, but that demo was awesome. Such a great E3 moment.

Good luck, wherever you go, Alex.

jaypah

End of an era. I wish them the best of luck though. Interested in seeing what they do now since it probably won't be a racing game.

Conspiracy theory time: To the future seems to be a recurring theme, you know what racing games are based in the future, Wipeout and FX. Alex Ward run a studio who's expertise was racing games. Obviously, futuristic racing game is incoming in.

a man can dream

Sulik2

Hopefully they can now form a studio to make the spiritual successor to Burnout: Revenge. I want real crash mode back.

Saty

Alex Ward, vice president and creative director of Criterion Games, and Fiona Sperry, studio director, are both no longer working at the studio, Electronic Arts has confirmed to Polygon.

"Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry have decided to leave EA," a spokesperson told Polygon this morning. "We appreciate their many contributions through the years and wish them well in their future endeavours.

"The incredibly creative and talented team at Criterion are hard at work on a new project for next-gen consoles as new IP continues to be a major priority across EA. Matt Webster is leading development of the new game and the Criterion studio moving forward. Matt has been part of Criterion for years and has an exciting vision for this new game."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/3/5269474/co-founders-of-criterion-games-leave-studio

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-burnout-and-nfs-hot-pursuit-studio-criterion

Tweets:
"The news breaks," tweeted Ward moments ago. "Along with Fiona Sperry I have left Criterion Games. Welcome to the REAL #tothefuture."

"So I guess its now official!" added Fiona Sperry, in response to a story that broke on Polygon. "The future starts here..."

Alex Ward has revealed that he and Fiona Sperry left Criterion to "start afresh and form a new games company". He'll also apparently write a column for trade magazine Develop.

FirewalkR

Just yesterday I was telling a few friends about the new NFS being made by Ghost and how a lot of ex-Criterion people were there and I was thinking "one of these days the top people are gonna go away, IW-style"...

EA continues to be the #1 dev-phage. Only Criterion I care about releases movies, but I hope the best for Alex and Fiona. Get together with the men from Bizarre!

Lmo911

I hope this gives them a much deserved break from racing games. Black was a cool experiment from them years ago, I want to see that creativity applied to other genres.

While I'm on the subject, can you imagine if ex Studio Liverpool, Bizarre Creations and Criterion staff created a mega studio for driving games?
Technically, Playground games (Forza Horizon) is that supergroup. We know that they scooped up a lot of people from Black Rock and Bizarre when that imploded, and many places also cite that they've gotten people from Codemasters, Criterion Games, Ubisoft Reflections and Slightly Mad Studios.

Top Bottom