• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Crunch culture' - choice vs exploitation

K2D

Banned
Thief devs Looking Glass Studios' insights into working on a passion project vs being taken advantage of in the game industry - some of the same points as those being raised by Playstation Studios Herman Hulst. Being able to unfold artistically.

Duchess

I remember reading in EDGE many years back how in the 90s, some of the staff at Sega would sleep in the office, because going home to sleep and coming back took too much out of the day, and they needed to get stuff done.

K2D

Banned
Having your own futon and sleeping in the office has been a staple of the japanese salary man for the last 30 years I believe..! From Nintendo to Valve, I think there are few AAA studios where it doesn't occure.

Cyborg

Working hard (longer hours) for a short period is fine, let say you are at the beginning or end phase of a project. But working for 3 or 4 years +25% (or) more hours is just mismanagement. This proves that there is more work than there are people that can do the work that needs to be done. So you need to work smarter/more efficiently, change timelines or hire more people (more people is not always the anwser).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Most of these mishaps and working for long years for a long days is because dumbass management is useless and changing direction of the project, scope of the project and so on. Means that you are not prepared before you start and so on. I've heard a lot of these stories internally.

Top Bottom