• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Departing PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan Reveals the Biggest Challenges of His 30-Year Career

nial

Gold Member
BC discourse is tiring these days, mostly because, even if it's still no disc-based (sadly), we finally got PS1 games on PS4 (and PS5) with Jim Ryan, when Andrew House and Tsuyoshi Kodera never bothered to bring them on.
Mehhh..

I I don't forgive him for what he did in this time of Japan studio
Be mad at gamers for not buying niche titles.

Look, I loved ICO, SotC, and development hell TLG, some of my most beloved games that signify gaming is art, but they also did this to themselves.

A lot of them ended up with Team Asobi. But, they may be an Astro factory for now.
A big part of why Sony dropped the Japan Studio brand was because they were going to expand FP development on China and Korea, games which would also be produced in Japan along with the actual Japanese-developed ones.
And yes, Japan Studio was a brand and it was very easy for Sony to keep using it for the studio that would be focused on the Astro Bot games (Team Asobi), while avoiding all the internet backlash, but they didn't because SIE had its own plans, particularly making Astro the face of the studio.
d3FemDS.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So a game looses 100% of its value, because...
If Gran Turismo 1 and 2 came out during mid PS4 generation, when Jim Ryan said the quote, Polyphony would get obliterated in the press. Those games, while not 0% value, were awful at that point.

Their only value was for a minuscule subset of people who love nastolgia. Jim Ryan was right.

30 years is a long time to spend at any one company. Dude earned his retirement, he rides off into the sunset with Playstation at its strongest position ever in the product's history

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jim Ryan is the least likeable PS-boss for me, but I can't deny that he's been great for the PS brand, especially what he did for the European market. He's a great businessman and Sony owe him a lot for expanding and strengthening Playstation, becoming the behemoth it has.

Agreed. I hated him 50% of the time. But he did a good job.

Topher

Gold Member
I think it was E3 2014 or around that time, but found the origin of the other laugh.

Jim, you cheeky bastard,

Love that attitude of "we don't care what anyone else does". Lessons others in the industry should learn.

Not naming names.

8gndam.jpg

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Successfully championed $70 games, we bought it.
Introduced a digital only playstation, some desperate people bought it, digital for life now.
Revamped playstation plus, increased prices and decreased value, we bought it.
Something something DLC released at full price under the guise of full complete games.
Share holders won.

Partially kidding, people can hate him but the suits loved him. Imagine if no pandemic.
He's still no Don Matrick though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The thing about Ryan I liked the most was that he didn't try to ingratiate himself with the fans. Execs who do that are putting on a act! *cough* Phil!

Top Bottom