• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Warhead PC Specs released..... And there was much rejoicing....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
why does crysis require such crazy speeds on the cpu. I would think it would all be on the gpu. anyone know?
It doesn't, though. Its CPU requirements are pretty reasonable for a modern PC game. What did you expect?

Don't forget how impressive its physics engine either.

firex

yay. I just preordered this off newegg. if you have their newsletter they have some exclusive deal where you can get it for slightly cheaper ($28 instead of $30) with free 3 day shipping.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
dark10x said:
It doesn't, though. Its CPU requirements are pretty reasonable for a modern PC game. What did you expect?

Don't forget how impressive its physics engine either.

I worry since I have a 2.3 ghz core 2 duo which barely makes the cut. probably should look into overclocking.

zoku88

otake said:
I worry since I have a 2.3 ghz core 2 duo which barely makes the cut. probably should look into overclocking.
It's really stupid that they mention Hz at all. They should just do model names. (And Core is different from Core 2, not sure which one they mean.) They actually prolly mean the former, given that a Core 2 would greatly outpace a P4 at 3.2 GHz...

otake

zoku88 said:
It's really stupid that they mention Hz at all. They should just do model names. (And Core is different from Core 2, not sure which one they mean.) They actually prolly mean the former, given that a Core 2 would greatly outpace a P4 at 3.2 GHz...

curse intels naming convention! not that AMD,ATI or NVIDIA are any better.

just bought 2 more gigs of ddr3, huzah!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Agent Ironside said:
Crysis physics are more impressive than any game EVAR, physx doesnt have crap on it as far as im concerned.

I think the only reason you're saying that is because you haven't seen PhysX implemented in an engine the caliber of Crysis...yet.

dark10x

Chiggs said:
I think the only reason you're saying that is because you haven't seen PhysX implemented in an engine the caliber of Crysis...yet.
Probably.

There are two major things that make the physics in Crysis so impressive...

1) There are a huge variety of objects that are assembled from individual pieces that can be manipulated realistically (houses are made from actual materials and those materials can be blown apart).

2) What makes it actually LOOK great, however, is the way the object based motion blur is applied. When you take down a house or watch a tree fall over, the motion blur applied to it creates something that looks absolutely amazing.

So, basically, they have an unrivaled level of interaction combined with visual effects that make those interactions appear much more impressive.

TheExodu5

Banned
My old P4 3.4GHz and 7950GT ran Medium at a good 40-60fps. On my friends 2800+ and 7600GT, he could get 40-60fps on Low. That's not far off minimum specs, and still decent performance. Crysis scales fine.

otake

TheExodu5 said:
My old P4 3.4GHz and 7950GT ran Medium at a good 40-60fps. On my friends 2800+ and 7600GT, he could get 40-60fps on Low. That's not far off minimum specs, and still decent performance. Crysis scales fine.

resolutions?

-SD-

Banned
Chiggs said:
Knowing Crytek they will develop their own GPU-accelerated physics engine, if they see a need for it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
-SD- said:
Knowing Crytek they will develop their own GPU-accelerated physics engine, if they see a need for it.

Knowing Nvidia's relationship with Crytek, they will gladly pay oodles of cash to have it be PhysX instead.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
dark10x said:
Probably.

There are two major things that make the physics in Crysis so impressive...

1) There are a huge variety of objects that are assembled from individual pieces that can be manipulated realistically (houses are made from actual materials and those materials can be blown apart).

2) What makes it actually LOOK great, however, is the way the object based motion blur is applied. When you take down a house or watch a tree fall over, the motion blur applied to it creates something that looks absolutely amazing.

So, basically, they have an unrivaled level of interaction combined with visual effects that make those interactions appear much more impressive.

I play with Blur off, can't take it... Same goes for DoF.

But yeah shooting ropes that are hanging fish, or breaking each cup, or making a see-saw from a barrel and piece of metal, then super punching it and sending you flying are all awesome.

zoku88

-SD- said:
That seems like a waste of time...

easier to use an existing solution (be it openCL or physX, if any at all.)

artist

Banned
-SD- said:
PhysX is having a hard time against Havok, you think Crytek would fare better?

Haunted

\o/

Interested whether their claims of improved optimisation is true, though. Not that it matters since Crysis already ran admirably well on my rig.

dLMN8R

Jesus Christ, another Crysis thread, another thread filled with bullshit FUD and people pretending like they know what they're talking about.

Minimum specs are just that - the absolute minimum you can get by with running a game. Crysis' minimum specs - a 6800GT, 3GHz Pentium 4, and 1-2GB of ram - are absolutely capable of running the game. Maybe not the most wonderful or beautiful experience, but it'll run the game, and you'll be able to play it.

The recommended specs for Crysis - a Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram and 8800 - are absolutely capable of running Crysis on High detail. Not just looking good, but high detail. On the recommended specs, the game will look great at > HD resolutions, and utterly destroy every ounce of the competition from a visual and technical standpoint.

So enough of this bullshit already. It's in every thread, the people who say otherwise are always wrong, and it's getting pretty fucking annoying. Minimum specs - run the game at a minimum. Recommended specs - run the game at high detail. Crytek isn't swindling anyone, no one's lying about shit. Stop talking out of your asses.

otake

alright, this just pisses me off. I have a radeon hd 4870, core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram and the original crysis demo still stutters all the fucking time at 1680 x 1050. It only seems to run smoothly when I set the textures and shaders to medium. What the fuck!

otake said:
alright, this just pisses me off. I have a radeon hd 4870, core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram and the original crysis demo still stutters all the fucking time at 1680 x 1050. It only seems to run smoothly when I set the textures and shaders to medium. What the fuck!

The full game is better optimized than the demo (even before the patches).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm about to order a new laptop:

Prostar M860TU
P9500 2.53GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB
4096MB, PC2-8500/1066Mhz DDR3
9800M GT w/512MB DDR3
Vista Premium 64bit

Price tag: $2075.78 - Being forced to game on laptops is so freaking expensive.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
K.Jack said:
I'm about to order a new laptop:

Prostar M860TU
P9500 2.53GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB
4096MB, PC2-8500/1066Mhz DDR3
9800M GT w/512MB DDR3
Vista Premium 64bit

Price tag: $2075.78 - Being forced to game on laptops is so freaking expensive.

Why do people do this?

But a nice 15" laptop for $500, and a desktop for $1,000, heck even get a small form factor PC

Gaming laptop is just a portable desktop anyway.

otake

Hazaro said:
Why do people do this?

But a nice 15" laptop for $500, and a desktop for $1,000, heck even get a small form factor PC

I couldn't agree more. laptops are for mobile business; work. get the job done anywhere. you cannot do pc gaming on laptops. it makes no sense from a power and graphics standpoint. no sense at all.

dark10x

Hazaro said:
I play with Blur off, can't take it... Same goes for DoF.

But yeah shooting ropes that are hanging fish, or breaking each cup, or making a see-saw from a barrel and piece of metal, then super punching it and sending you flying are all awesome.
You're probably talking about the camera blur. It's the object blur that makes things so impressive (high velocity motion = CG-like blur). You can enable object blur while toning down (or disabling) camera blur via the console.

jet1911

dark10x said:
You're probably talking about the camera blur. It's the object blur that makes things so impressive (high velocity motion = CG-like blur). You can enable object blur while toning down (or disabling) camera blur via the console.

Do you know what's the command line?

zoku88

Hazaro said:
Why do people do this?

Apparently, he's being forced. College, I guess. It sucks to have to ship a desktop back and forth.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah I have absolutely no room for a desktop. A high performance 15 inch notebook is my only choice if I want to play games in my house. I've been a laptop gamer for five years now, and including this bill, I've spent about $3500 over this period of time.

Besides, I play online poker for cash, and it's nice to be able to sit on the toilet while playing pot-limit omaha. I started to figure that I might as well keep it all in one box, so I just buy a new laptop every couple years.

I'm no longer in college, but my place is still too cramped.

Nikorasu

dark10x said:

The object motion blur in this game is fucking incredible. I notice it everywhere like the subtle hand gestures in cutscenes and it just makes things so eerily realistic.

Zzoram

otake said:

The game was more optimized than the demo, and Warhead is even more optimized than Crysis.

Also, Crysis currently has minor issues with ATI cards since nVidia payed them huge amounts of money to optimize for nVidia cards. They are apparently fixing those issues with Warhead though.

Reese-015

otake said:

Wow, something's wrong there, I play the demo at 1600x1200 with a mix of all high/very high settings on my 4850/2.66GHz Quad (since 4870 is considerably more powerful and I don't think your cpu is bottlenecking you).

Top Bottom