• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current HW & SW sales/shipments for ALL current gen systems

As of June 30th, 2005 (numbers in millions of units)

Many, many thanks to Januswon, who actually put this together. I'm just making it a new thread and trying to make it a little bit more readable.

Original thread: http://new.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=31909

Console shipments/sales
Code:
-                LTD       Apr-Jun          LTD
        March 31,2005    Shipments    June 30th, 2005

PS2(JP)         20.71         0.54         21.25
PS2(US)         35.35         1.43         36.78
PS2(EU)         31.41         1.56         32.97
[b]PS2(Tot)        87.47         3.53         91.00[/b]

[B]
Xbox (Tot)                                 21.90[/B]

NGC(JP)         3.80
NGC(US)         10.46
NGC(Oth)        4.24
[B]NGC(Tot)        18.50         0.26         18.76[/B]

GBA(JP)         15.55
GBA(US)         33.37
GBA(Oth)        17.87
[B]GBA(Tot)        66.79         0.98         67.77[/B]

NDS(JP)         2.12
NDS(US)         2.19
NDS(Oth)        0.95
[B]NDS(Tot)        5.27          1.38         6.65[/B]

PSP(JP)         1.44          0.89         2.33
PSP(US)         1.53          1.20         2.73
PSP(EU)         ----          ----         ----
[B]PSP(Tot)        2.97          2.09         5.06[/B]

Software shipments/sales
Code:
-                LTD        Apr-Jun          LTD
         March 31,2005    Shipments    June 30th, 2005

PS2(JP)         168.00         6.00        174.00
PS2(US)         381.00        13.00        394.00
PS2(EU)         275.00        16.00        291.00
[B]PS2(Tot)        824.00        35.00        859.00[/B]

[B]Xbox            ?????         ?????        ?????[/B]

NGC(JP)         23.99
NGC(US)         97.77
NGC(Oth)        34.54
[B]NGC(Tot)        156.29        4.31         160.60[/B]

GBA(JP)         62.54
GBA(US)         147.24
GBA(Oth)        58.59
[B]GBA(Tot)        268.36        11.67        280.03[/B]

NDS(JP)         3.82
NDS(US)         4.75
NDS(Oth)        1.92
[B]NDS(Tot)        10.49         5.32         15.82[/B]

PSP(JP)         2.70          1.00         3.70
PSP(US)         3.00          3.90         6.90
PSP(EU)         ----          ----         -----
[B]PSP(Tot)        5.70          4.90         10.60[/B]

Kano

Banned
What's with the missing Xbox #'s? Also, the NDS is faring better than I thought. I pegged the margin(since the PSP's release) being wider between the PSP and NDS than it actually is.

Why does Sony ship so many PSPs? NPD sales including July have PSP up to probably 1.6 million and Media-Create has PSP over there at 1.55 million (I'm assuming by adding another 21,000).

Mrbob

gamewhooper said:
Why does Sony ship so many PSPs? NPD sales including July have PSP up to probably 1.6 million and Media-Create has PSP over there at 1.55 million (I'm assuming by adding another 21,000).

You could say the same thing about Nintendos USA DS shipments. Shipped 4.75 million and they've sold, what 1.8 million? You always want some extra units to be able to ship to stores.

Mrbob said:
You could say the same thing about Nintendos USA DS shipments. Shipped 4.75 million and they've sold, what 1.8 million? You always want some extra units to be able to ship to stores.

Woah, my bad. I barely even looked at the labels. I thought Xbox was below what it said but apparently it doesn't have figures.

They wanna sell 12/13 million of them by fin year end, they gotta have em out there. Likewise with Nintendo, who probably have similar or higher targets. It does make these things kind of deceiving though.

heidern

Mrbob said:

No, that's 4.75M software shipments. It was 2.19M as of March, and probably 4-700K since then which would be comparable shipment to the psp. The problem for Sony I think is that the slow demand in Japan is gonna make it tricky to judge how much they should manufacture and ship overall.

I know this is kinda of out of no were but I think if we see a price cut for both the psp and ps2 will see huge sales during the holiday season for both systems and will probably eat alot out of the 360s sales.

januswon

Nintendo almost doubled their inventories (of consoles?) YtoY
M Yen
2005.06.30 63,286
2005.06.30 33,533

Last year Nintendo forecasted HW req.
GBA 14M
NGC 4.5M

This year Nintendo forecasted HW req.
GBA 10.2M
NDS 12.4M
NGC 2.8M

the increased forecasted HW req. partially explained the increased inventories in Jun 2005

Mrbob

Link316 said:
forecast for the fiscal year

DS - 12.4M
PSP - 13M

Uh oh this means GAF is doomed for at least another year! :lol And with Xbox 360/PS3 battle coming sooner things are going to pick up quickly. Sony fans are going to have to redouble their efforts to battle on two fronts!

xexex

Banned
heidern said:
Dreamcast outsold the xbox in Japan by a far bigger percentage than the ps2 outsold it in the US.

interesting.

anyone got accurate figures on Japanese DC vs Xbox console sales ?

What's most striking to me is that the US is GBA land. It accounts for 50% of GBA HW and more than that on software.

Also, that the GC is essentially dead in Nintendo's eyes as well:

Last year projection = 4.5M units
This years projection = 2.8M units

This quarter, they only shipped 260,000 Gamecube units worldwide.

From those, it appears the Gamecube would not pass the Xbox as the Xbox is already 2M units ahead.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
CVXFREAK said:
Last I checked, 2.6 Million vs. 468,000.

To Xbox is up to around 900,000 units sold in Japan. They are close to their first million. And yes Sony fans will have a lot on their hands with the hard fight between the DS and X360.

mckmas8808 said:
To Xbox is up to around 900,000 units sold in Japan. They are close to their first million. And yes Sony fans will have a lot on their hands with the hard fight between the DS and X360.

No it's not. Not even close unless those 1,000 per week sales somehow snuck up on us and caused another half a million sales.

However, Microsoft has shipped over 1.5M units (maybe more than 2M, don't remember what they said in January) to the Japanese region, which for Microsoft includes Korea (and I thought Australia as well, which is different from the other guys)

Culex

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

900k? :lol

I want to smoke some of your ganja.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'll ask this again (I asked long ago the first time), does anyone have the Media Create HW sales data for the last 10 weeks of 2003 for the PS2, XBOX, GCN, and GBA? The only ones that I've found were the ones that are posted on GameScience but I'd like non-rounded off numbers for those weeks. Thanks.

EDIT: To make it clear it's the numbers from October 20th to December 28th 2003.

Fuzzy

u_neek said:
Xbox is only 450,000 or something in Japan..
I have it at 471,088 but I'd like the non-rounded off 2003 numbers that I asked for so I could update it.

Amir0x

Banned
A good place to ask: Hey sonycowboy, do you have a month by month breakdown of console sales for the 2004 year?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
sonycowboy said:
No it's not. Not even close unless those 1,000 per week sales somehow snuck up on us and caused another half a million sales.

However, Microsoft has shipped over 1.5M units (maybe more than 2M, don't remember what they said in January) to the Japanese region, which for Microsoft includes Korea (and I thought Australia as well, which is different from the other guys)

Hey sorry I was thinking about shipped, not sold. (I even had that wrong too wow!!) :)

Pimpwerx

Wow! PSP is within 1.5M for shipments without Europe. I kinda underestimated the system since the drubbing the hounds of Nintendo have been giving it in Japan lately. PEACE.

Fuzzy

Nintendo posted this today (as of June 30th).

Nintendo_Sales_June30.jpg

Fuzzy said:
Nintendo posted this today (as of June 30th).

Nintendo_Sales_June30.jpg

So basically, they've given us the US components of the number they reported last month. That's cool.

What's interesting is the 2 Billion software number. Clearly, it's MUCH higher than their current gen numbers (GCN + DS + GBA = 446M units). So are we to assume that they are LTD Nintendo platform numbers? That would be what I see based on the 354M units HW number.

Here are the Playstation LTD numbers:
PSOne = 960M units
PS2 = 859M units
PSP = 10.6M units
--------------------------------
Total Playstation platforms = 1.83B units

So, is it possible that in 11 years, Sony has almost managed to ship as much software as Nintendo has in over 25 years?

Fuzzy

sonycowboy said:
So, is it possible that in 11 years, Sony has almost managed to ship as much software as Nintendo has in over 25 years?
Amazing isn't it?

BTW here's what they had posted as of March 31st.

Nintendo_sales.jpg

I love the xbox just a raw total, why no numbers by region?

I love how the GC was doomed but it's hardly behind the xbox.

and Nintendo overall, holy crap.

sonycowboy said:
So basically, they've given us the US components of the number they reported last month. That's cool.

What's interesting is the 2 Billion software number. Clearly, it's MUCH higher than their current gen numbers (GCN + DS + GBA = 446M units). So are we to assume that they are LTD Nintendo platform numbers? That would be what I see based on the 354M units HW number.

Here are the Playstation LTD numbers:
PSOne = 960M units
PS2 = 859M units
PSP = 10.6M units
--------------------------------
Total Playstation platforms = 1.83B units

The 2 billion isn't LTD for the platforms though , it's Nintendo itself since the NES (Reggie mentioned this around E3). So it's a few hundred of their games vs. the thousands of releases from Sony and 3rd parties in the last 11 years.

Odysseus

Banned
FitzOfRage said:
The 2 billion isn't LTD for the platforms though , it's Nintendo itself since the NES (Reggie mentioned this around E3). So it's a few hundred of their games vs. the thousands of releases from Sony and 3rd parties in the last 11 years.

I believe you are wrong there. Just look at the tie ratios for the current systems in those graphics. Those aren't all Nintendo games, that's everything. Unless they switched from one method of accounting for the individual to another method for the total, that 2 billion is everything, as well. Again, just look at the tie ratio. It's around 6, right? They aren't selling 6 Nintendo-published games per system when you consider that for a huge chunk of systems out there (GBA, most specifically), they haven't sold 6 games total per system.

Odysseus said:
I believe you are wrong there. Just look at the tie ratios for the current systems in those graphics. Those aren't all Nintendo games, that's everything. Unless they switched from one method of accounting for the individual to another method for the total, that 2 billion is everything, as well. Again, just look at the tie ratio. It's around 6, right? They aren't selling 6 Nintendo-published games per system when you consider that for a huge chunk of systems out there (GBA, most specifically), they haven't sold 6 games total per system.

Reggie said it pretty clearly at E3. I mean obviously the graphic leaves out the GB/C, NES, SNES, and N64. while the total would include those.

http://gba.gamespy.com/articles/615/615628p1.html

Fils-Aime noted that Nintendo is the only company out there that had both vested interests in hardware and console development and also software creation. Stating that Nintendo as a company has sold well over two billion games over the last 20 years

Odysseus

Banned
Reggie is PR. He will say things that puts Nintendo is the best possible light. But saying Nintendo has sold 2 billion pieces of software is technically correct if you consider that they get platform license fees for every piece of software sold.

jarrod

Banned
Nintendo's always undershot their cumulative/all time totals, that's why they say "over figure X". Just add up their hardware sales...

NES~ 61.78m
GB~ 69.42m
SNES~ 49.02m
N64~ 32.93m
GBC~ 49.27m
GBA~ 67.77m
GC~ 18.76m
DS~ 6.65m
TOTAL~ 355.6m

...and this is only major platforms. It excepts auxuilliary platforms like FDS, 64DD, Virtual Boy, Game & Watch, Pokemon Mini, etc.

I think the "over 2 billion" figure is a little suspect, Nintendo themselves have likely moved over 1 billion SKUs. I can't imagine they've matched what 3rd parties managed on the Famicom or Game Boy lines (which should count for the vast majority of their software sales).

Dalthien

Wow - that just goes to show the value of in-house software.

If we take the 2 Billion LTD SW units for Nintendo platforms to be accurate, then I would say significantly less than half of that would be during the past 11 (Sony) years. With the tremendous success of both NES and SNES, and with the low attach rate for the GBA, I would say that at most 750 million units have been moved in the past 11 years. Sonycowboy might have more accurate numbers for the past 11 years, but I can't see it being any more than that, and possibly a bit less.

So, Nintendo has moved about a third of the SW that Sony has moved (since Sony entered the market), and yet they've basically matched Sony's gaming division dollar-for-dollar in profits over the past 6 or 7 years (even though Sony would have tripled Nintendo in licensing revenue). Actually, considering that a huge percentage of the SW moved on Nintendo platforms is in-house SW, then their actual third-party sales are probably closer to 1/5 of Sony's third-party sales over the past 11 years, which means Sony has probably made 4 or 5 times as much as Nintendo off of licensing fees, if not more. Yet Nintendo pretty much equals Sony in gaming profits.

That's why Nintendo will never leave the hardware business - they make a killing off of their own software - far more than any third-party revenues are worth to them.

Satter

Banned
Are these "shipped" or "sold through" sales numbers? It says shipments in the report that sonycowboy posted, but I want to make sure.

Miburou

jarrod said:
Nintendo's always undershot their cumulative/all time totals, that's why they say "over figure X". Just add up their hardware sales...

NES~ 61.78m
GB~ 69.42m
SNES~ 49.02m
N64~ 32.93m
GBC~ 49.27m
GBA~ 67.77m
GC~ 18.76m
DS~ 6.65m
TOTAL~ 355.6m

...and this is only major platforms. It excepts auxuilliary platforms like FDS, 64DD, Virtual Boy, Game & Watch, Pokemon Mini, etc.

I think the "over 2 billion" figure is a little suspect, Nintendo themselves have likely moved over 1 billion SKUs. I can't imagine they've matched what 3rd parties managed on the Famicom or Game Boy lines (which should count for the vast majority of their software sales).

The March graph has exact figures.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/CanadianFonz/Games/Nintendo_sales.jpg

Miburou said:
So will the PS2 match the PS1's hardware and software LTD figures by the end of this year?

In software it will certainly pass. In hardware, it probably won't pass, but it might give a good run at it. Hardware should pass by March 31, 2006.

Fuzzy

Satter said:
The numbers for the March DS sales don't match Sonycowboy's summary. Could there have been an adjustment?
The worldwide totals are the same because they both use NCL as the source while the US data is different because NoA used NPD as the source for those numbers.

sonycowboy said:
Wait, over 25? What are you counting before the 1983 Famicom release?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wait, over 25? What are you counting before the 1983 Famicom release?

You're right. I could have sworn I typed "over 20". So, that's what, 22+ years depending on when it was released in 1983. So, they are pretty much exactly twice as old in the industry as Sony. Which is scary to think that the Playstation has been around for 10 1/2 years already. And the damn thing is still in stores.

Top Bottom