• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - An ode to one of the best games ever

My standards are different, since my favorite is Fallout 1, 2, VTMB, when you give me stats and dialogue choices, I expect different outcomes. Not happening here.

The Characters, dialogues bores me to hell. Despite all the flashy attires and attempted coolness none of them is memorable. I skipped the dialogues most time as I don't find the VA is great or particularly persuasive. The writing isn't good either, I felt bad reading those conversation logs because each of them is hardly relevant and I know probably a waste of time.

Atmospheric? To a point. I eventually get bored of how everything looks and there seems to be little to no depth and lore behind it. What really kills the atmosphere is the AI. Still dumb and erratic after years or patching.

I guess in the end my expectation is just too much. With the Witcher at least there are good characters and a rich lore, this is to me probably as empty as any other half hearted games out there but behind a AAA budget and marketing, Forgettable.
To each their own. I just finished Fallout 2 again on the Deck. My favourites of all time include Fallout 1, 2, VtMB. I think Cyberpunk is a masterpiece. Not everything works all the time, but the writing when it hits is amazing, top tier.
I'll always prefer, I think, a more traditional approach to RPGs, with more of a focus on stats, exploration, that kind of thing - I mean, replaying Fallout 2 was a fantastic experience - but Cyberpunk is a classic.

Completely unrelated, but my Deck Classics journey might continue with Betrayal at Krondor, which I've never finished.

Last edited:
Sorry for the offtopic, but how did you set this up? How well does it play?
mmm I think it largely just works out of box. I installed the widescreen patch, although I stuck with low resolution after all - things just too small on the Deck if you go bigger. I believe I intended to install the unofficial patch, and forgot to, so I played it pre-unofficial patch. I couldn't patch after, as the saves aren't compatible apparently. So you might want to think about that.

You need to unlock the framerate on deck or it runs super crappy because of however the game was coded, but when you do it works fine. It's obviously all going to hinge on how much you enjoy using the touchpad for mouse. It irritated me a bit, but mostly it was an awesome experience for the 60+ hours it took me to complete at level 25. Game totally holds up once you get over the interface irritations.

I tried Betrayal at Krondor and it just works out of box, and seems to work equally well.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
mmm I think it largely just works out of box. I installed the widescreen patch, although I stuck with low resolution after all - things just too small on the Deck if you go bigger. I believe I intended to install the unofficial patch, and forgot to, so I played it pre-unofficial patch. I couldn't patch after, as the saves aren't compatible apparently. So you might want to think about that.

You need to unlock the framerate on deck or it runs super crappy because of however the game was coded, but when you do it works fine. It's obviously all going to hinge on how much you enjoy using the touchpad for mouse. It irritated me a bit, but mostly it was an awesome experience for the 60+ hours it took me to complete at level 25. Game totally holds up once you get over the interface irritations.

I tried Betrayal at Krondor and it just works out of box, and seems to work equally well.
Nice! Many thanks friend.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I like the game a lot but it's not the best ever. It's a very linear story with only a few branching paths that all come back to same place. It has no satisfying ending. And the expansion all ends up it back at the same place you started.

No matter how good the game is, the devs and the c-lvl management all lied to your faces. Supporting this game is just giving them a free pass to do it once again.
Nah. They spent years fixing it and patching and making a great expansion to atone for their mistakes; and then fixing their own internal issues so they don’t make mistakes again. They’ve done their time and shown they understand the mistakes they made.

They messed up, but owned it and deserve the redemption arc.

Last edited:

makaveli60

My standards are different, since my favorite is Fallout 1, 2, VTMB, when you give me stats and dialogue choices, I expect different outcomes. Not happening here.

The Characters, dialogues bores me to hell. Despite all the flashy attires and attempted coolness none of them is memorable. I skipped the dialogues most time as I don't find the VA is great or particularly persuasive. The writing isn't good either, I felt bad reading those conversation logs because each of them is hardly relevant and I know probably a waste of time.

Atmospheric? To a point. I eventually get bored of how everything looks and there seems to be little to no depth and lore behind it. What really kills the atmosphere is the AI. Still dumb and erratic after years or patching.

I guess in the end my expectation is just too much. With the Witcher at least there are good characters and a rich lore, this is to me probably as empty as any other half hearted games out there but behind a AAA budget and marketing, Forgettable.
I can understand that it’s not your cup of tea, but the below is just simply not true at all. There are games maybe that do it better, I don’t know (certainly not in modern AAA space), but what they provide here is amazing, period.

when you give me stats and dialogue choices, I expect different outcomes. Not happening here.

Mephisto40

Nah. They spent years fixing it and patching and making a great expansion to atone for their mistakes; and then fixing their own internal issues so they don’t make mistakes again. They’ve done their time and shown they understand the mistakes they made.

They messed up, but owned it and deserve the redemption arc.
They didn't "Own it" at all, they only started to do anything about the issues when the game was pulled from every shopfront going, before that it was complete blind ignorance from the devs

You look at how no mans sky was developed and worked on over the years, that was a redemption arc, and their game worked on release, Cyberpunk was just plain broken and the devs pretty much tried to run away with everybodies money until they were threatened with lawsuits, there was even leaked audio from internal meetings where they were basically shitting on the community

I'm not sure what your idea of a redemption arc is if it's fixing your broken game to make it playable and putting out a half assed DLC with a fraction of the content they promised before release

Last edited:
They didn't "Own it" at all, they only started to do anything about the issues when the game was pulled from every shopfront going, before that it was complete blind ignorance from the devs

You look at how no mans sky was developed and worked on over the years, that was a redemption arc, and their game worked on release, Cyberpunk was just plain broken and the devs pretty much tried to run away with everybodies money until they were threatened with lawsuits, there was even leaked audio from internal meetings where they were basically shitting on the community

I'm not sure what your idea of a redemption arc is if it's fixing your broken game to make it playable and putting out a half assed DLC with a fraction of the content they promised before release
First of all, the DLC isn't half-assed; the environments and models are incredible, it's about 20 to 30 hours of content, and they hired Idris Elba for god's sake. Yes, it's a redemption arc if they spend years making it work on consoles and reworking the systems completely. It's always been pretty good on PCs, just like how No Man's Sky worked on release. I think Cyberpunk on PC was a lot better than No Man's Sky on launch, as well.

Cyberpunk as it stands now is still graphically incredible, and is one of the best looking games on the PS5/XBOX. It's head and shoulders above something like Starfield, something that is in the same kind of space, in all ways, and I can understand people thinking it's one of the best games of all time.

Cyberpunkd

Started playing it again on PS5 to advance and then buy PL. I have to say the interactions V has with other characters are great - lots of anger, posturing, bluffing. Makes the whole thing feel much more alive.
I am also playing Fallout 4 and the plot/dialogue there are elementary school level. It’s just pathetic by comparison.

Was seriously considering getting the game for Steam Deck and running it via GFN, but it’s just money wasted. I will stick to PS5 version for now.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

First of all, the DLC isn't half-assed; the environments and models are incredible, it's about 20 to 30 hours of content, and they hired Idris Elba for god's sake. Yes, it's a redemption arc if they spend years making it work on consoles and reworking the systems completely. It's always been pretty good on PCs, just like how No Man's Sky worked on release. I think Cyberpunk on PC was a lot better than No Man's Sky on launch, as well.

Cyberpunk as it stands now is still graphically incredible, and is one of the best looking games on the PS5/XBOX. It's head and shoulders above something like Starfield, something that is in the same kind of space, in all ways, and I can understand people thinking it's one of the best games of all time.
Where's the multiplayer they promised before release

And No Man's Sky actually worked on release

You can't say a game has had a "redemption arc" when it's still missing features we were promised 5 years ago

Last edited:

You can't say a game has had a "redemption arc" when it's still missing features we were promised 5 years ago
I actually didn't even know they promised a multiplayer version. I'm glad it was cancelled, no interest.

Cyberpunk worked on PC on release as well. It sucked on consoles, absolutely, and never should have been released.

I can, and I did, and I will continue to do so. It's legitimately a great game now. It has top notch writing, an incredible musical score, it's super fun to play, and still represents the cutting edge for that kind of RPG, with currently some of the best graphics possible. You don't agree, and that's fine, but reworking the systems, fixing bugs, making a great console version and a fantastic expansion pack is enough for me, and a lot of people.

Bojji

I only head about Sony removing game from PSS AFTER CDPR was talking about refunds (Sony don't like that), I never heard about any other stores removing the game. And yeah, if you didn't like you could get a refund, what more do you expect?

LOL. Game was very good on PC day one, initial metacritic score based on PC version was over 90...

They fucked up by not canceling or at least delaying last gen console version (6 months at least). They only showed PC footage before release but that's what most publishers and developers do anyway.

Missing features? Most games change during development, they removed some stuff yeah but added a SHIT TON of new stuff since release - and besides PL all of it was free.

RavageX

I'm gonna have to agree here. They cancelled all other planned DLC after this mess proving again that when companies produce "roadmaps" that it is generally shit you might not ever see as another means to convince you to "buy in".

No Man's Sky is a redemption. This is just fixing the mess to make it playable, then adding a paid DLC.

If you like the game that's fine, but it as a whole was handled poorly.

Graphics? Yeah that's nice. I like to do more than stare at puddles on the street. Was the game fun to play for me? No. Was the story good? Not really. Did the game world feel alive? Not at all. I wouldn't even rank this in a top ten.

Cyberpunkd

No matter how good the game is, the devs and the c-lvl management all lied to your faces. Supporting this game is just giving them a free pass to do it once again.
They did, but instead of just leaving it like this they owned up to it and spend a lot of money not only fixing but expanding the game. Up to you how you want to approach their next game.

I am finishing Fallout 4 on Steam Deck and playing CP2077 on PS5 and the difference not only in atmosphere but also interactions with NPCs is staggering.

Spyxos

I would give the addon 10/10. The main game has many weaknesses. And also many characters that didn't really interest me. And the story was also weaker. But still a good 8/10 for me.

Cyberpunkd

To each their own. I just finished Fallout 2 again on the Deck. My favourites of all time include Fallout 1, 2, VtMB. I think Cyberpunk is a masterpiece. Not everything works all the time, but the writing when it hits is amazing, top tier.
Same favorites as mine. I played VtMB a few years after it released, was blown away by how good the game was.

Cyberpunk interactions between V and NPCs, the quality of writing, etc. are probably the best in business right now. You see the quality they took from W3 but were limited by technology, and managed to push it further. World building is also S-Tier, Night City is simply incredible.

Same favorites as mine. I played VtMB a few years after it released, was blown away by how good the game was.

Cyberpunk interactions between V and NPCs, the quality of writing, etc. are probably the best in business right now. You see the quality they took from W3 but were limited by technology, and managed to push it further. World building is also S-Tier, Night City is simply incredible.
100%.
I’m still in the middle of cyberpunk, at like 80 hours, in dog town/doing phantom liberty, and the PL stuff /writing / quests is top notch.

Johnny Silverhand / Keanu is one of my favourite video game performances and writing of all time.

Top Bottom