• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dad and daughter transition together from mother and son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadin

Thought this was a pretty cool story. I can't remember reading about a story where a parent and child did this together. I can't imagine it's easy to do but having someone close like this has to make it easier. They both look pretty damn happy.

For almost two years now, a father and daughter have been sharing the journey of transitioning from mother and son.

Eric Maison, 39, began socially transitioning to become male in the fall of 2015, after his daughter Corey, 15, started her hormone treatment to become female. Maison's medical transition began in 2016.

"Corey's bravery definitely inspired me to come out as transgender," said Maison, a resident of Detroit, Michigan. "To see how courageous she is, despite all of the cruelty the world shows her at times, makes me so proud. I thought, 'If she can do this, so can I.'"

In June 2016, ABC News spoke with Maison (who then went by the name Erica) and daughter Corey to share the story about the transgender teen and her message against bullying.

Corey, then 14, was born with the same name but was assigned male sex at birth. Corey has been identifying as female since she was 2 years old, Maison said last June. Corey said she was inspired by transgender activist Jazz Jennings and saw a therapist who helped her transition from a boy to a girl. Jennings, who was assigned male sex at birth, stars in the TLC reality TV series "I Am Jazz," which documents her life as a transgender youth.

"We're not a threat," Corey wrote to ABC News in June. "We are just like any other kids. We only want people to accept and love us for who we are."

Maison said in June that Corey was bullied for being transgender when she was younger. The first incident was when a child pushed her down a hill covered in frozen ice, causing injuries to Corey's face. Eventually, Corey was moved to another school as a result of the bullying, Maison said.

Back then, the boys didn't speak to Corey. Today, they've accepted her as one of their peers.
more here: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/dad-daughter-transition-mother-son/story?id=46197924
ej4Ypve.jpg

Eusis

...huh. Wow.

Like seriously what are the odds. Pretty awesome I think
If there's a genetic component it might be pretty high after all. Though that's probably easier to identify with situations like the Wachowskis, while here it really could just be lightning striking twice.

Kadin

I'm confused. Aren't both transitioning to female? Am i reading it wrong?

edit: I get it know.
Yeah sometimes I get a tad confused when reading stories like these because while most will address them as their now intended gender as opposed to what they were prior, some are written improperly and still use the prior gender so it can make it difficult at times.

The usual warning: Don't read comments.

...huh. Wow.

Like seriously what are the odds. Pretty awesome I think
If we assume pure coincidence (no heredity):

"According to 2011 findings from the Williams Institute, the transgender population represents about 0.3% of American adults."[1]

The current US birth rate is 1.87 children born/woman. [2]

So the chance of having a transgender child should be 1-(1-0.003)^1.87 = 0.56%.

The likelyhood of a transgender person having a transgender kid is then 0.003 * (1-(1-0.003)^1.87) = 0.0017% *

So, yeah, quite unlikely. But given the US population that means there should be
(1-(1-0.003)^1.87) * 247,773,709[3] = 4164 such cases in the US.

Obviously a simplification. (And I'm not claiming there is no genetic significance. I wouldn't be surprised if there was.)

[1] http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/g3065/transgender-facts-figures/
[2] https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2127.html
[3] http://datacenter.kidscount.org/dat...any/false/573,869,36,868,867/39,40,41/416,417

Edit: * This is a bit poorly worded on my part. Obviously, assuming no genetic factors, the likelyhood of a transgender person having a transgender kid would be the same as a cisgender person having a transgender kid (0.56%). What I mean is "if you pick a random adult from the population, what's the likelyhood that they are transgender and have a trans child?".

Also, this is of course a very rough estimate.

Kadin

If we assume pure coincidence (no heredity):

"According to 2011 findings from the Williams Institute, the transgender population represents about 0.3% of American adults."[1]

The current US birth rate is 1.87 children born/woman. [2]

The likelyhood of a transgender person having a transgender kid is then 0.003 * (1-(1-0.003)^1.87) = 0.0017%

So, yeah, quite unlikely. But given the US population that means there should be
(1-(1-0.003)^1.87) * 247,773,709[3] = 4164 such cases in the US.

Obviously a simplification. (And I'm not claiming there is no genetic significance. I wouldn't be surprised if there was.)

[1] http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/g3065/transgender-facts-figures/
[2] https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2127.html
[3] http://datacenter.kidscount.org/dat...any/false/573,869,36,868,867/39,40,41/416,417
This was a really great post, thanks!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I mean it's not just about being happy, it's about being who they really are.

Still, it's a good attitude to take in general. Live and let live.

Don't tell that to the comment section in that article.
UH6x0Dx.png

At least this lady doesn't think that trans people are ruining America with, like, being happy and stuff.

Given the stigma, it must be next to impossible to get accurate stats on transgender numbers.

Absolutely. This New Zealand study got 1.2%, which is a factor 4 different from the US number I previously cited. So the hidden figure is probably significant.

Edit: Confidence interval 0.96 - 1.44 with a confidence level of 95%.

The likelyhood of a transgender person having a transgender kid is then 0.003 * (1-(1-0.003)^1.87) = 0.0017% *

I guess you phrased it poorly, but going by what you wrote, the odds of non-transgender person having a transgender child is exactly as high as a transgender person having one, as the events are statistically independent, which you stated in your first sentence. Those 0.0017% represent the propability of picking a transgender person + transgender child combination out of the statistical population.

It's a tough journey for sure! But having someone close like that experience the same thing must be incredible. They will carry each other through it.

Why did i read the comments section. Good luck to them both :), must be comforting to have a family member going through a similar situation.

Platy

I guess you phrased it poorly, but going by what you wrote, the odds of non-transgender person having a transgender child is exactly as high as a transgender person having one, as the events are statistically independent, which you stated in your first sentence. Those 0.0017% represent the propability of picking a transgender person + transgender child combination out of the statistical population.

The problem is that we don't know if being trans has a genetic reason ... if so that would mean that the probability of finding trans people in the same family would rise.

Since we don't know that it would be just picking a trans adult+trans child combination

FyreWulff

Wouldn't be surprised. I know of at least two transgender friends where their mom confided in them that they wish they had been born a boy themselves.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hope they get to live a happy life free of judgement and prejudice from those who make it their business to do so for whatever inexplicable reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom