• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas dad not guilty for taking teen daughter's phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crim...guilty-taking-tween-daughters-phone/79355512/

DALLAS – A Dallas County jury found a father not guilty Tuesday of theft for taking away his daughter’s cell phone as punishment.

Ronald Jackson, 36, was charged with theft of property of at least $50 but under $500, a Class B misdemeanor.

Dallas County Criminal Court Judge Lisa Green ordered the jury to find Jackson not guilty after ruling the state failed to present sufficient evidence to continue the case.

Jackson said he took his 12-year-old daughter’s cell phone as punishment after finding inappropriate texts in September 2013. A few hours later, officers from the Grand Prairie Police Department showed up at his front door, asking for the iPhone 4 back.

"At that point, I decided the police don't interfere with my ability to parent my daughter," Jackson said.

Michelle Steppe, the child's mother, sees it differently.

"As a mom, I'm upset because — number one — the property belongs to me," she said.

Steppe told jurors on Monday she called police the day her daughter lost the use of her phone for disciplinary reasons.

"You can't take someone's property, regardless if you're a parent or not," Steppe said.

Ronald Jackson and Michelle Steppe readily admit they are not a couple anymore. Jackson said they were never married but had a child together. Steppe said Jackson didn't become a part of his daughter's life until she was seven.

Three months after the phone incident, Jackson received a citation in the mail for theft of property less than $50 in value, a Class C misdemeanor. According to court documents, the city attorney's office offered a plea deal in January 2014 if Jackson returned the phone.

Jackson hired an attorney and requested a jury trial in municipal court.

Court filings indicate the city attorney's office requested the case be dismissed that same month and refiled with the Dallas County District Attorney's office as a more stringent Class B misdemeanor, punishable by six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Cameron Gray, a defense attorney representing Jackson, said a warrant was issued, and his client was arrested at his home in the middle of the night in April 2015. Jackson posted a cash bail of $1,500 to get out of jail.

On Wednesday, Detective Lyle Gensler with Grand Prairie police told News8 officers made several unsuccessful attempts to return the property to its owner.

"We do not like these kinds of instances to go into the criminal justice system," Gensler says. "We prefer to keep it out and the phone be returned and let the parents, the two adults, and let them work it out among themselves."

Michelle Steppe is married to a Grand Prairie police officer.

"In the entire investigation that never came into play," Gensler says.

During the two-day trial, Jackson's daughter, now 15, took the stand and testified about her father taking her phone.

"It was the last thing as a mother I wanted my daughter to go through," Steppe says. "I'm always here for my kids."

Steppe said she was confused by the verdict because she purchased the phone and maintained cell phone plans under her name.

"Even if you purchase something with your own money and have a receipt, it's not yours," Steppe says. "Someone can take it from you."

Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter.

"I have to separate myself from them," Jackson says. "I can't ever have a relationship with them again."

Gray says the case is not over. He says he plans to file a federal complaint for civil rights violations for the way his client was treated by the Grand Prairie Police Department and the city attorney's office.

Detective Lyle Gensler with Grand Prairie police told News8 officers made several unsuccessful attempts to return the property to its owner.

Jackson still has the phone.

Good on this father for being a parent.
Shame on this mom and her LEO husband for being shady and getting the father arrested.

Take away my phone if old.

Lkr

what the fuck did i just read? why didn't the mom just ask for the phone back at some point? did she and the guy refused? i'm also not a fan of parents reading their kids texts at that age, its kinda creepy tbh

Oreoleo

Ronald Jackson and Michelle Steppe readily admit they are not a couple anymore

Aaaand this is about where I stopped reading. Mom is just trying to spite the dad in the most childish way possible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Im not quite understanding what happened. The father has a right to take the phone off the daughter, but he should have to return it to the mother if she owns it. Sounds like the daughter was fairly irrelevant to the whole ordeal.

Zombine

Banned
Detective Lyle Gensler with Grand Prairie police told News8 officers made several unsuccessful attempts to return the property to its owner.

Jackson still has the phone.

Please dear god make this into a documentary. I want this to be the text that appears on screen during the "where are they now?" Scene at the end.

CDX

What? He was arrested over taking his kids phone away.

Ronald Jackson and Michelle Steppe readily admit they are not a couple anymore. Jackson said they were never married but had a child together.

Oh. That seemingly explains so much.

I read the full article and I have to say it's a very interesting point. We're giving kids $800 computers that fit in their pockets and when custody is at stake it's a different ordeal entirely. I used to think schools had a right to take away phones, but I was at my old high school a few weeks ago and all the kids were on their phones in the ten minutes leading up to class change. The case shouldn't continue, but some law does need to be on the books about the rights of minors and devices that connect them to the entire world in an instant.

MrGerbils

Ummm, the mom bought that phone probably to keep in touch with her daughter.

The dad can take the phone away from her while she's staying with him, but he should have given it back to her when she went back to her mother's house.

Jenov

what the fuck did i just read? why didn't the mom just ask for the phone back at some point? did she and the guy refused? i'm also not a fan of parents reading their kids texts at that age, its kinda creepy tbh

Reading texts of your 12 year old is creepy? What? lol

I heard this story in passing the other day and assumed it was the kid being a dipshit getting the cops involved, turns out it's the mom? Nice. Classy. Not petty at all.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
One of the craziest aspects is the change of venue to a place where the punishment was more severe.

This proves it was all about punishing the father and not really about making the daughter.

Seems like an abuse of authority by the LEO step father to get the venue changed.

jayu26

"In the entire investigation that never came into play," Gensler says.
Well there is your problem.
Steppe said she was confused by the verdict because she purchased the phone and maintained cell phone plans under her name.

"Even if you purchase something with your own money and have a receipt, it's not yours," Steppe says. "Someone can take it from you."
I totally believe that you are confused lady.

What a dipshit mom, maybe teach your kid to not misbehave and therefore not need to be punished. Good thing it didn't work, all this would have done is show her kid that her actions have no consequences so long as mommy is there to save her.

jorma

is now taking requests
Ummm, the mom bought that phone probably to keep in touch with her daughter.

The dad can take the phone away from her while she's staying with him, but he should have given it back to her when she went back to her mother's house.

The cops came knocking at this door after a few hours.

I'm guessing the girl ran home to mommy and complained, and the mom made his new cop husband sort it out the way cops sort out things.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What the fucking fuck.

A dad takes away a kid's phone as punishment and you fucking sue him for THEFT?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What did you think was going to happen when you got the police involved, and continued to allow them to be involved?
She expected her bully husband to squash it while humiliating her ex?

Or not. I have no idea and I'm unapologeticly prejudice toward even the possibility of abuse of power.

ApharmdX

Banned

If you aren't reading your 12 year old's texts, you are being an irresponsible parent. Do you have any idea the kind of pitfalls (and predators) await a teen or tween in the world?

Im not quite understanding what happened. The father has a right to take the phone off the daughter, but he should have to return it to the mother if she owns it. Sounds like the daughter was fairly irrelevant to the whole ordeal.

He took it for the inappropriate texts. In this situation, if he had returned it, mom gives it back to daughter just to spite him, and the texts continue.

The best option was proper co-parenting but the next best option was taking the device permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom