• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas declares state of emergency due to West Nile virus, 9 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not in Texas. Rain has been plentiful this year and the mosquito population has exploded as a result.

Mosquitos are food for some other less annoying creatures.

Imagine how pissed off the Hawaiians were when captain cook delivered them by dumping bilge water off the previously unaffected islands. Imagine what sleeping outside was like in a mosquito free tropics. No wonder they caved his head in.

MormaPope

Banned
220px-Contagion_Poster.jpg

akira28

Fuck mosquitoes. Completely pointless insects.

mosquitoes help kill sick animals, and they feed other animals. sort of weird to see how blood turns into protein and nourishment for different fish and as a way for bacteria and viruses to live and survive.

acksman

We have had spray trucks twice in the past 3 weeks in Flower Mound spray our area. We have had 11 reported cases of West Nile so far in our town. No telling how many actual non reported cases though.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Here in H-town they've been ramping up spray trucks. Back in June they only came by once a week. Now sometimes I hear them twice a night.

Mikey Jr.

mosquitoes help kill sick animals, and they feed other animals. sort of weird to see how blood turns into protein and nourishment for different fish and as a way for bacteria and viruses to live and survive.
I am willing to sacrifice as many species as possible if it means no mosquitos.

Zebra

Alabama 4
Arizona 7
Arkansas 6
California 13
Colorado 3
Florida 4
Georgia 4
Idaho 1
Illinois 3
Indiana 2
Iowa 3
Kansas 8
Kentucky 1
Louisiana 39
Michigan 4
Minnesota 1
Mississippi 39
Missouri 1
Nebraska 3
New Jersey 1
New York 1
Ohio 2
Oklahoma 22
South Carolina 1
South Dakota 12
Texas 205
Thats a huge amount

man I hate mosquitoes.

It's especially huge when you consider that 205 next to the countrywide total of 390.
Nearly half of the country's reported west nile infections are in a single metropolitan area.

WNV_07August_2012_a.jpg

A map from the CDC

Thanks, added to OP.

Fuck me. I think I might have this.

I've been feeling feverish (past 100 today) the past couple of days for no good reason and mosquitos have been feasting on everyone these past few months. I live ~5 hours from the Dallas area, too.

daw840

Fuck....I am in OKC right now and the mosquitoes are fucking thick.....and I am hanging out outside tonight.

Vyer

I don't know about North Texas, but the mosquitos here earlier this year were absolutely horrible. Easily about the worst I've seen.

Druz

I think I may know someone who had this last weekend, they couldn't figure out what the cause was but he had all the symptoms.

Zebra

Update. Death toll at 16 now, 28 for the area.

Five counties within the Dallas-Fort Worth area - the fourth largest metropolitan area in the country - recorded 28 of the 63 deaths and 869 of the 1,429 cases reported to the Texas Department of State Health Services by Tuesday. Dallas County alone has recorded 16 deaths and 371 cases, according to county authorities.

CDC and state officials believe a year's worth of record high temperatures and intermittent rainfall this past spring contributed to the severity of the epidemic by affecting bird and mosquito populations. Following a record hot summer and drought conditions in 2011, Dallas-Fort Worth had a warm winter with fewer than normal freezes followed by bouts of rain in the spring, officials said.
Haley and others say the worst should be over in terms of new infections, but more cases are expected to be reported due to the lag time between infection, testing for the virus and reporting to state agencies and the CDC. The death toll is also likely to rise as it can take weeks to months for patients to deteriorate.

Texas seeks to learn lessons from West Nile virus "disaster" - Reuters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom