• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damn, PSM gets a lot of exclusives. Next month's "teaser" is intersting too.

For some reason, publishers love to have exclusive previews with magazines. Despite some of the more popular websites having a larger audience.

PSM, one of the more popular than not magazines, had "MGS4" wolrd exclusive thingy. They talked a lot about MGS acid 2, Subsitance (the 'subtance' of MGS3) and some information on MGS4.

Now, that's not really big news because well, with all the interviews Kojima has done, and so forth most websites were able to assemble their own "unofficial" world exclusive. Furthermore, everyone knows the MGS4 hype routing. Humerous, pointless trailer. Humerous, obscure trailer. Not humerous, serious yet obscure trailer. Then we have the game's release.

So on this month's PSM they have an article for MGS4, but at the end of the magazine they say:

"Next month, anothere world exclusive preview from another multi-million selling series."

Given what was shown at E3 and that next month's PSM will be a E3 related issues, this certainly narrows the list down.

Pretty much to

Tekken 6
Gran Turismo 5 (or Vision Turismo or whatevere that shits called)
Prince of Persia 3 (yet, wasn't this already shown to many publications already?)
Devil May Cry 4 (PSM did the world exclusives for both DMC2 and DMC3)
Splinter Cell (next)
Prince of Persia (next)
Grand Theft Auto (next)
or, maybe even a Street Fighter IV.

you might say "well, Tekken 6 was already shown...but I wouldn't really consider that a showing. Just a fancy way for Namco and Sony to say, "we got the popular fighting franchise bitch!"

So next month should be interesting. If you're still reading this pointless thread, than I'd like to say I've never really seen this PSM (I know it's on shelves, but I haven't read it) I just saw a thread made by someone 'reputable' at gfaqs mention this.

So to those who subscribe to PSM (...all 2 of you...) you have something to scan for us...er I mean look foward to.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
the mag is so terrible that i changed the address to my free subscription to some fake address

Thanks, yeah--I meant Tekken 6.

Well, regardless if you think PSM is good or not, basically there should be an unveiling that will interest a few people here come next month. Obviously some games are more likely than others, and it's obvious which are. So fans of those games have something too look foward to.

Most imporantly, some more solid visual screens on what the PS3 can do...if it's not CG. And I'm getting tired fo those PD0 screens. =p

C- Warrior said:
Most imporantly, some more solid visual screens on what the PS3 can do...if it's not CG. And I'm getting tired fo those PD0 screens. =p

You probably aren't going to get a good idea of that till TGS.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kleegamefan said:
It amazing to me the exclusives PSM and (expecially) Game Informer get...
Yeah. Considering how much bigger some sites are in term of audience I just don't understand how the paper press keeps getting all the big exclusivities like that. I guess it takes time to change things like that.
How many readers gets a big gaming magazine in the US ?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kleegamefan said:
Over a million
That's quite a lot. But considering my stupid website can do more than 250.000 unique visitors in one month (ok it was E3, but still), I guess IGN or Gamespot gets a magnitude more than this. Why don't they get big stuff like that BEFORE the paper press? They got the exclusivity for some stuff before other websites, but they still are late compared to GI/EGM/PSM and even quite a few magazines here in France.

Stench

Banned
Well, guys, remember: without exclusives, magazines have nothing.

Think about it: If a magazine were to lose all their potential exclusives to online webpages, then what's the advantage the print publications have over the web? If they were to lose these previews, then nobody would bother reading them, hence why they probably bust their balls just to get whatever kind of fresh report they can.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Stench said:
Well, guys, remember: without exclusives, magazines have nothing.

Think about it: If a magazine were to lose all their potential exclusives to online webpages, then what advantage do the print publications have over the web? If they were to lose these previews, then nobody would bother reading them, hence why they probably bust their balls just to get whatever kind of fresh report they can.
Why should the publisher care if the print publications die? It's not their job to keep these guys alive. Unless GI/EGM actually pay to get the exclusivity I just don't understand why they would give the exclusivity to something read by one million people instead of a lot more than that, and anywhere in the world to boot.

Doube D

Blimblim said:
Why should the publisher care if the print publications die? It's not their job to keep these guys alive. Unless GI/EGM actually pay to get the exclusivity I just don't understand why they would give the exclusivity to something read by one million people instead of a lot more than that, and anywhere in the world to boot.

First, most mags do pay for the exclusivity. Second, most/some publishers care if the mag survives since they usually have a stake in the mag itself. ;p

C- Warrior said:
"Next month, anothere world exclusive preview from another multi-million selling series."

GTA Liberty City Stories as first print magazine in the U.S. after OPM2 (UK) and this strange mag from Spain.

Superfrog

Consider that the readers-per-issue-ratio (or whatever it's called) of print magazines is a lot higher is than the sheer number of sold issues.

Then there are the beloved press quotes that will be displayed by the publishers as part of game ads or on box covers. Print mags still have a larger credibility than original online mags. By way of example even UK's EDGE magazine gets a lot of exclusive content in spite of it's unequaled low print run (which is a shame btw).

Plus: Exclusive content may be one of the last advantages of print mags over online mags. It's some kind of the only right to exist that remains for them...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Although the reviews are meh the features in Game Informer are well done IMO.

... paper is something concrete (don't take it literally) and makes the PR folk feel as if they done something concrete and not transient.

BTW, what website to you work under that gets 200,000 visitors?

It can't be GTA PSP, didn't a magazine have a showing of that already.

At least some Euro mag?

If so, that'd be really dissapointing to me, GTA PSP...whoop-tee-do =/

black_13

Banned
Well yeah they do get some big exclusives but the mag does suck especialy when compared to OPM.

Still I think they probably pay to get those exclusives.

And nice avatar by the way C- Warrior? may I ask where you got it.

lordmrw

I imagine they give exclusives to magazines because while there are more people that view online previews, not everyone has internet access or uses the internet to check out videogame previews. I would imagine the hardcore gamers are the ones who view sites like ign or gamespot daily, while the casuals are more apt to thumb through a magazine.

Yeah, GI gets some too. But PSM has been getting the edge recently.

They had a whole bunch last year, including DMC3, POP2, MGS3 (I believe), and a few other big name games.

And I think Chris Slate said they have a subscribers list of around 500,000 people.

And they have a target reach of millions (sending out too grocery stores, barnes and nobles etec. etcl. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Wafflecopter said:
Too bad that mag is terrible. Some of the most wannabe-trendy bullshit is in that mag.

I know! And they proclaim in the magazine description of every issue that they're strictly for the hardcore :lol

black_13 said:
Well yeah they do get some big exclusives but the mag does suck especialy when compared to OPM.

Still I think they probably pay to get those exclusives.

And nice avatar by the way C- Warrior? may I ask where you got it.

Yeah, right here:

Over 200 DMC1/2/3 related Icons.

I'm working on a set of Ryu Hayabusa gone Viewtiful Joe icons too.

Here are some pretty cools ones:

games_DMC3Jester.gif

games_DMCdanteActionStance.gif

games_DMCSparda.gif

vergil.gif

dmc4-dante-modified.gif

There is always the appeal that you know, you can carry a magazine everywhere you go...you know....the bathroom

what....

>.>

GI does get awesome exclusives, I will say that. My favorite mag. As for internet/mag argument. It's cheaper to pay 12-24 bucks a year for a subscription than it does for a good internet connection.

:lol What Mark is trying to say, is that it's two way beneficial.

There lies no point in a magazine if they don't have content.

Yet magazines have a synergy effect, they spread the word of a game's existance and quality.

Sometimes lack of, but that's the developers fault, not the magazines.

But then again we do know that some of these reviewers have biased/fanboy agendas of their own... :lol "for love of the game"

black_13

Banned
Thanx alot C- Warrior. Some great avatars.

Now I just need to figure out after how many posts I'll be able to use one on these boards.

Amir0x

Banned
black_13 said:
Thanx alot C- Warrior. Some great avatars.

Now I just need to figure out after how many posts I'll be able to use one on these boards.

I don't know if they changed it, but you should be able to do it even now. What usually confuses people is the "Edit Avatar" part of the User CP, which isn't actually for anything it seems. Instead, go to the "Edit Profile" section of your User CP and scroll down to the "External Avatar Location" box. Enter the URL to the img (Ex: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/mimic751/icons/vergil.gif) and then hit "Save Changes." Voila, avatar is saved.

black_13

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't know if they changed it, but you should be able to do it even now. What usually confuses people is the "Edit Avatar" part of the User CP, which isn't actually for anything it seems. Instead, go to the "Edit Profile" section of your User CP and scroll down to the "External Avatar Location" box. Enter the URL to the img (Ex: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/mimic751/icons/vergil.gif) and then hit "Save Changes." Voila, avatar is saved.
:lol can't believe I didn't realize that eariler. Thanx alot.

Top Bottom