• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING - OPEN SPOILERS FOR DANGANRONPA 1,2, UDG, ZERO, IF, WHATEVER. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. CONSIDER EVERYTHING FAIR GAME HERE. FOR STUFF ALREADY RELEASED ABOUT DANGANRONPA 3 IN MAGAZINES OR VIA PRE-SCREENINGS, THAT IS YOUR PREROGATIVE TO DISCUSS. MAYBE PUT THAT IN SPOILER TEXT.

As always - refrain from talking about illegal streaming/torrenting sites. Only sites such as Crunchyroll, Funimation, Daisuki, Hulu and Amazon are allowed. Do not link or discuss illegitimate sites.

001l.jpg
002l.jpg

Danganronpa 3 - The End of Hope's Peak Academy is a two part anime series meant to wrap up the story of the first two games. The two parts - Future Arc and Despair Arc - will be running consecutively, and this thread will be used for both of them. Future Arc will be set after DR2 and focus on the Future Foundation, while Despair Arc will be a prequel with focus on the Remnants of Despair and how they changed from what we know them as into the Remnants of Despair. It's likely these two stories will tie in multiple times. Note that the Danganronpa 3 anime is NOT the same as the game Danganronpa V3. Since this involves 30+ characters I'm not even going to try and highlight who is the most important. Everyone should know that already and I'm going to assume everyone watching this knows as much as I do.

Final PV

STREAMING AT FUNIMATION - LINK COMING WHEN IT IS UP

CAST -

Future Arc -

Tarako as Monokuma
Takako Sasuga as Monomi
Megumi Ogata as Makoto Naegi
Yōko Hikasa as Kyoko Kirigiri
Chiwa Saitō as Aoi Asahina
Masaya Matsukaze as Yasuhiro Hagakure
Saki Fujita as Seiko Kimura
Inori Minase as Ruruka Ando
Takuya Eguchi as Sonosuke Izayoi
Hidekatsu Shibata as Kazuo Tengan
Keiji Fujiwara as Koichi Kizakura
Kanata Hongō as Ryota Mitarai
Rie Kugimiya as Daisaku Bandai
Kenta Miyake as Great Gozu
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Kyosuke Munakata
Mai Nakahara as Chisa Yukizome
Junichi Suwabe as Juzo Sakakura

Despair arc -

Minami Takayama as Hajime Hinata
Daisuke Kishio as Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu
Kotono Mitsuishi as Peko Pekoyama
Yoshimasa Hosoya as Kazuichi Soda
Megumi Ogata as Nagito Komaeda
Ami Koshimizu as Ibuki Mioda
Ai Kayano as Mikan Tsumiki
Yū Kobayashi as Mahiru Koizumi
Suzuko Mimori as Hiyoko Saionji
Romi Park as Akane Owari
Hiroki Yasumoto as Nekomaru Nidai
Jun Fukuyama as Teruteru Hanamura
Tomokazu Sugita as Tanaka the Forbidden
Miho Arakawa as Sonia Nevermind
Kanata Hongō as Ryota Mitarai

DANGANRONPA 3 - THE END OF HOPE'S PEAK ACADEMY - FUTURE ARC

Danganronpa-3-The-End-of-Kibogamine-Gakuen-e1462808661514.jpg

The survivors of the first killing game - Makoto Naegi, Kyoko Kirigiri, Aoi Asahina and Yasuhiro Hagakure - joined the society known as the Future Foundation, whose goal is to undo the damage caused to the world by The Tragedy and the Ultimate Despair. These four along with 12 other leading members of the Future Foundation once again find themselves entwined in a killing game set by Monokuma.

DANGANRONPA 3 - THE END OF HOPE'S PEAK ACADEMY - DESPAIR ARC

Danganronpa-3_04-25-16.jpg

The Despair Arc is a prequel to Danganronpa 2, detailing how the group fell into despair and became the Remnants of Despair. I'ts unknown how much of it will be strictly flashback to their school days and how much will be after Danganronpa 2 with the ones who awoke from the simulation.

QUESTIONS -

Wait wtf they are making Danganronpa 3 into an anime and not a game??

Yes and no. Danganronpa V3 is the game. This is different. Danganronpa V3 as far as we know is mostly unconnected. This anime will serve as the finale for the 1/2/UDG plotline.

Do I need to be a full Danganronpa-stan to understand this or what? I just played the first two games...

As long as you finished Danganronpa 1 and 2 you will be fine. Ultra Despair Girls gives some extra context about the Future Foundation and how the world looks after the Tragedy but you will likely be fine without that. As for other stuff like Zero, IF, Killer/Killer etc its hard to say but discussion of those will be allowed unspoilered. Expect the villain from Ultra Despair Girls, Monaca, to have some sort of role though because of how the game ended.

So does this show air once a week or twice a week?

This show will air twice a week - one Future episode on Monday, one Despair episode on Thursday.

omg wheres byakuya-sama???

We can assume Toko is still in Towa City, but we don't know where Byakuya is or if he will be in this.

Why is there a broken crystal ball in the Future image? Does that mean my precious Yasuhiro is GONNA DIE?

Yasuhiro is pretty much indestructible. He's an idiot surrounded by elites and some how lucked through DR1 while being accused every trial. He'll be fine. Probably.

Will Chiaki Nanami be in this?

Hey, if you want to know you can Google it and find out. There's an answer.

Will Junko Enoshima be in this?

Fucking probably. Would you even be surprised?

Wait if Junko was crushed to death in her execution how did the Remnants of Despair get her body parts and stuff, will they explain this egregious plot hole? I mean, are we expected to believe that this is some magic crushing machine? Boy, I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut upppppppppppppppppp

I want Despair Sonia to step on me???

Get in line.

HOLY CRAP WHY IS NEKOMARU'S BULGE SO HUGE

Ask Akane.

This won't be terrible like the Danganronpa 1 anime right?

BvE0jFC.jpg

For those who require a bit of catch-up -

TP

How long until someone comes in here and mentions they haven't cleared the first or second game

Got a Funimation sub to watch One Piece... guess this'll be a nice bonus!

Yasuhiro should probably die, he's even worse than Hifumi.

Drago

Hell yeah, I can't believe this is almost here.

Hopefully it doesn't suck.
hopefully Hagakure doesn't die :(

Marow

I'm surprisingly excited. It's also really interesting to have two series air together like this.

I finished Danganronpa 1 and 2 earlier this year as they released on Steam, falling in love with the second. Hopefully Another Episode will be released soon enough.

Nice OT. Can't wait for this!

Funimation's DR3 page says 24 episodes, so I guess 12 for each side. Hopefully it doesn't feel too rushed.

I think having game spoilers ruins the topic for anime only people...

This is a continuation from the games, not the anime. Based off of what they've said to Famitsu and the timeline they released on the website (here's a translation for those curious), that means you should be familiar with the events of DR 1, 2, AE:UDG, and Zero.

The only thing I could understand spoiler tagging in this thread is stuff from Danganronpa Gaiden: Killer Killer, which is connected to this anime. But that's a spin-off that's meant to be read as released alongside DR3, so I think it's fine.

Breads

Banned
I just noticed Komaeda's hand and reread that the DR2 characters are going to be in a prequel arc.

Interesting. From the slight character updates I assumed the story was going to be post DR2 and over time somehow explain how everyone is now awake.

Seeing DR2 Togami though is kind of weird. Not sure when DR2 takes place exactly but the thought of two Togamis out and about in the free world is very odd. I wonder if he will have fooled his way into having access to the Togami family resources.

GoldStarz

I think having game spoilers ruins the topic for anime only people...
It was literally made for long-term fans in mind. There's a recap so that anime fans aren't completely lost, but yeah you're kinda fucked if you don't want spoilers, dude.

How long until someone comes in here and mentions they haven't cleared the first or second game
Literally the first post.

How do I watch this in Europe? Funimation is only available for US and and Canada citiziens.
Unknown atm, hopefully someone picks it up for you guys :<

Wait what where fuck it started??
Not until tomorrow. 11:30 AM EST.

Should be a poll asking how much of the budget went to Junko this time. My guess is a modest 55% instead of the 90% the first anime gave.

GoldStarz

Maybe it'll be like Batman Beyond, and secretly a chip containing her DNA was placed on Monaca which rewrites her genetic code and turns her into Junko.
I'm thinking it's video will type of thing. I don't think she intended to lose in DR2, but I can definitely see her having a backup plan as a just in case, she does have the abilities of an Ultimate Analyst, after all.

Junko is a lot like the Joker so probably
That's an insult to Junko and I will not have it.

PK Gaming

Solid OP

I'm mostly in it for the Despair anime. Hopefully both are good

(even just the Despair side being good would suffice)

GoldStarz

Well, there were two Junko AI chips at the end of UDG. I could see them using one of them as an excuse to pull her out one more time for the Future Side.
To me that always seemed like there were two components to the AI rather than two AIs in general. I suppose it's a possible twist at this point, but that seems like it'd be too immediately obvious to me.

SilentRob

It's odd but the reason they did it makes sense. Now we can get the new thing (V3) without waiting extra time for what would've been 3

I'd argue it would have made a lot more sense to finish the game series as a game and start the new thing as something new...not the other way around :p

GoldStarz

I'd argue it would have made a lot more sense to finish the game series as a game and start the new thing as something new...not the other way around :p

It's not an end to the series, just the arc at hand. Besides, the way Kodaka talks, it sounds like it's DR3 as an anime or nothing.

Great OP! I can't wait to see the Hope's Peak saga final wild ride. Just one suggestion - as the series has developed around multiple media types since its origin in 2010, I think a timeline may do wonders for any lapsed fans. I think having a link in the first post to the timeline tumblr mentioned earlier or the image that is floating around would be enough.
Still stupid as shit that the arc ends in an anime and not another game, like come on
To be honest, a third murder mystery in the line of both DR and DR2 would stretch the main story to ridiculous levels, so in my eyes is good to finish all hanging plot threads in a different medium and starting anew with a soft reboot with V3 rather than forcing a game or ignoring the current state of the story. After all, Danganronpa is currently Spike Chunsoft biggest franchise, so it's not like they were going to stop developing games.
Should be a poll asking how much of the budget went to Junko this time. My guess is a modest 55% instead of the 90% the first anime gave.
Don't act like that was a bad thing. The reveal was much better in the anime than in the game, and gave us a lot of Junko scenes in the last episode (even more in the DVD/US release). Her appearance - and Komaeda's wild ride - are the only things that make me lament the lack of an anime for the second game.
To me that always seemed like there were two components to the AI rather than two AIs in general. I suppose it's a possible twist at this point, but that seems like it'd be too immediately obvious to me.
Let's not forget that DRAE made ghost possession canon in the Danganronpa universe, so there's also that possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom