• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 first character trailer, info and minigame (acid outrun!)

FluxWaveZ

I want to say it was one of the two Kinda Funny video interviews? That or Kotaku, I don't have it on hand.

Found it; you were incorrect:
USg: Danganronpa has more gameplay elements than most games of its type. Did you incorporate these elements to keep players moving between various types of actions?

KK: It was actually a sales-driven idea. At the time the first Danganronpa released, visual novels in Japan weren't really selling well. We figured that, if we make this game and market it as a visual novel, it's probably not going to do very well. In order to avoid that problem, we decided to add a lot of gameplay elements in order to make it more appealing—to draw that distinction between adventure games and visual novels. Actually, when we were developing the game, when we started to incorporate the interactive elements, many times, the staff would say, "Do we really need this? Why don't we just tell the story as it is?" But I knew, if we did this, it wouldn't be viable on the market. In spite of contrary opinions, we pushed it through.
The only reason Danganronpa had mini-games at all initially was purely because of sales reasons. They had the bright idea that it wouldn't sell well if it leaned towards being too much of a visual novel, so they put a bunch of dumb mini-games randomly to compensate. It was ONLY for this.

Hell, I'd like to point everyone to the thoughts of the staff THEMSELVES:
"Do we really need this? Why don't we just tell the story as it is?"
And yet, here we are. If there's literally anyone who is playing these games for the mini-games, I'd love to hear it, because I can't imagine Danganronpa fans at this point care either way except for the most important of them, which are the ones that actually intertwine properly with the flow of the narrative.

KLoWn

Kinda boggles my mind that someone would want a direct continuation of Danganronpa 3, even if they enjoyed the anime.
I didn't say I wanted a continuation? I wanted it to be in the same universe so we might get clues, hints, or straight up information about things like the ones I mentioned, even if the story at hand has nothing to do with them.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't say I wanted a continuation? I wanted it to be in the same universe so we might get clues, hints, or straight up information about things like the ones I mentioned, even if the story at hand has nothing to do with them.

I guess I see that as a continuation all the same, but I get what you mean. I don't think Kodaka has stated that this game takes place in a different universe, though, for what it's worth. There could very well be references to the previous games/media strewn about.

It's just that after DR3, I don't even see the point of elaborating on literally anything that happened in the past. It's pretty much all been conveyed.

DR3 seems to have soured many on the franchise, but remember the two main titles are great so hopefully this will be too!

Are we getting a PC version as well for the West?

aravuus

I think I'm just gonna skip DR3 altogether. I looooved DR1 and 2, but I'm surprisingly uninterested what happened after DR2.

I think I'm just gonna skip DR3 altogether. I looooved DR1 and 2, but I'm surprisingly uninterested what happened after DR2.

The anime hurt me a bit, but I'm still interested in this since the games are still good for me. The only game in the series I felt disappointed by and didn't really like was Ultra Despair Girls, which while being a spin-off, still continued the canon story line and had an episode in the anime.

Top Bottom