• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Halverson on Advent Rising

border

Pretty much every Xbox-to-PC port runs better on the PC than it did on the Xbox. I look forward to a proper version of the game that can be judged on its merits rather than the failings of the game engine.

Which is exactly what I'm doing, at least. The bugs and such made it worse, but even if it ran flawlessly it would still be unfun and boring.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Mrbob said:
Wow, Satterfield gets in another Metal Gear Solid dig.

Holy fucking shit I'm amazed.

Hehe. Yep, I'm not a huge fan. Last one I really enjoyed was for the Game Boy Color, but maybe someday they'll do something to the gameplay besides making it more tedious and that will change. A man can always hope.

.hacked

border said:
Pretty much every Xbox-to-PC port runs better on the PC than it did on the Xbox. I look forward to a proper version of the game that can be judged on its merits rather than the failings of the game engine.

I doubt that the PC game will fix the slowdown in the prerendered fmv.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
.hacked said:
I doubt that the PC game will fix the slowdown in the prerendered fmv.

It should remove the occasional pause that occurs, but the actual slowdown isn't going anywhere, as you say. I doubt they'll re-record those scenes just for the PC version. It would be nice if they actually used realtime cutscenes on the PC...but the entire point of those scenes was to divide the levels and prevent the user from detecting the loading.

CO_Andy said:
If anything, Dave writes with an unbelievable level of passion that so many journalists lack.

Its a hold-over from the days where he had to pimp whatever overpriced import that he was selling in the back of the magazine.

FartOfWar

Banned
MarkMacD said:
My eyes just rolled up so high I can no longer see.

Comparing the technical problems in Advent Rising to those in Halo is like comparing the Holocaust to a hangnail.

Where the fuck is this assumption that Advent is so phenomenal aside from the framerate and murder-death-kill bugs coming from?

Looks like Dave's evolved from writing blatant self-serving praise to writing passionate blatant self-serving appeals to the hardcore. Hey, if writing one-sided editorials that leave out crucial details yet overemphasize others sells magazines, more power to you.

To his credit, that rant -however inaccurate- was entertaing, which is more than can be said for some of the work found in his former magazine, Gamefan.

"Hey! Look at us! We included 3 2D sidescrollers on our top 10 of E3 list! Aren't we hardcore? We're totally becoming one of the last sanctuaries for truly hardcore gaming. While other magazines shun "dated" 2D graphics as "boring" and "stale" we celebrate them for what they are: amazing! And as such, we've selected Mars Matrix, an unadulterated gaming experience free of excess polygons in favour of pure, hardy hard hardcore gameplay, as game of the show! blah blah blah blah"

Wait, maybe not much has changed after all.

Fongul

I appreciate Dave's opinion because I know exactly where he is coming from, as I've been reading his writing since 1991. I've said this before in a thread about Dave H, but one of the things I appreciate most about Play is that the staff has stayed the same and stayed consistant. Knowing the history of one opinions and views about certain things gives their writing just a little more legitimacy. I value Dave's opinion and his passion, so when Advent Rising does come out for PC, I will check it out (as I was interested in the game anyways)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Does Dave Halverson ever DISLIKE a video game? It seems like no matter how bad the game may be, the guy always finds something love and gives it an A or B score.

Lyte Edge said:
Does Dave Halverson ever DISLIKE a video game? It seems like no matter how bad the game may be, the guy always finds something love and gives it an A or B score.

No he does. In the same manner in which you meet some random guy while waiting in line at an EB, the guy who seems to say the right things, but then gets all frothy mouth angry about the industry and how no one understands the genius of 2D games, or whatever else is below the radar, to the point that you just start to slowly walk away.

Top Bottom