• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite boss Donald Mustard is retiring from Epic Games After 25 years in the industry

Donald Mustard, Fortnite boss and chief creative officer at Epic Games, has announced his retirement after 25 years in the games industry.

Mustard rose to prominence at Shadow Complex and Infinity Blade developer Chair Entertainment, a studio he co-founded in 2005. Chair was acquired by Epic Games in 2008 and Mustard would eventually become the company's chief creative officer in 2016 - where he would oversee the meteoric rise of global video game phenomenon Fortnite.

Now, though, Mustard has announced his decision to move on from the company in a statement shared on social media, writing "After an incredible adventure, I will be retiring from my role as chief creative officer at Epic this month."

"I have enjoyed nearly 25 years in the game industry collaborating with some of the most talented people ever and I am so proud of what we have made together," he continued. "From the ambitious Advent Rising, to the start of Chair where we created Undertow, Shadow Complex, and the Infinity Blade trilogy, to the honour of our tiny team becoming part of Epic, each new chapter allowed me to accomplish something new and original. I am especially proud of the opportunity I’ve had to help create and shape Fortnite.

"I am humbled to have been a part of the team that every day tries to bring 'joy and delight' to the Fortnite community. We love watching you experience every moment - leaping from the Battle Bus for the very first time, seeing the rocket crack open the sky, dancing with friends after a Victory Royale, being sucked into a black hole or being washed out to sea as The Island flipped over - and on and on!

"I can't wait to now share in the future of Fortnite as a player alongside all of you! The teams are in the best hands and they are working on huge, jaw dropping, amazing things!"

Mustard concluded by saying he would be "forever grateful" to his colleagues and Epic boss Tim Sweeney, adding he is "excited to spend time with my wife and family" after his retirement.

Salz01

I’m sure he would rather leave when Fortnite is at its prime, I mean eventually it’s going to decline

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
He could no longer cut the mustard...

Hopefully he didn't spread himself too thin.
739700.jpg

Last edited:
Seems that the vacant role has been taken by former Marvel and God of War exec, Charlie Wen.

An influential former Marvel executive, who also helped design God of War’s iconic protagonist Kratos, has been appointed as Epic Games’ new chief creative officer.

Charlie Wen has taken on the role previously held by Donald Mustard, one of the driving forces behind the hugely successful Fortnite, who will be leaving Epic this month after almost 25 years with the company.

“Excited to share that I embarked on a new adventure as Chief Creative Officer (CCO) of Epic Games,” Wen said.

“Deeply grateful to everyone who has come alongside me thus far. The journey ahead promises to be truly epic!”

According to his LinkedIn profile, Wen was formerly director of visual development for PlayStation’s Santa Monica Studio, co-founder and head of visual development for Marvel Studios, and a director at Riot Games, where he led its film department.

It describes Wen as a “pioneer of IP creation in film and games over two decades for the entertainment industry’s largest franchises, including 4 worldwide top 10 Films and triple A games.”

It adds: “Charlie’s unrivaled creative leadership in story, character, and world creation has culminated in global smash hits such as Marvel’s The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, League of Legends, and God of War.

“He is most known for co-founding and heading Marvel’s Visual Development department, being accountable for the look and feel of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and creating God of War’s Kratos.”

In a PlayStation Blog post published in 2019, Wen said “90% of Kratos’s finished design came out” in a series of sketches he made on restaurant napkins during a lunchtime design meeting.

diffusionx

Gold Member
sometimes i wonder what retiring will feel like, all that free time, I feel like there will be so much to ketchup on

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He is the modern day Shiguru Miyamoto. The industry is a lesser place without his talent. May God Bless him and his family.

splattered

Hmmm maybe he will shock the gaming world and go lead Sony in Jim's place? I mean Sony IS making a huge run at GaaS games so this sort of makes sense.. hmmm

Top Bottom