• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Bowie "Space Oddity" or Elton John "Rocket Man"?

David Bowie "Space Oddity" or Elton John "Rocket Man"?

• David Bowie "Space Oddity"

Votes: 68 76.4%
  • Elton John "Rocket Man"

Votes: 21 23.6%

• Total voters
I almost want to say I'd take Space Oddity over Rocket Man, but mainly because Elton John has a dozen songs just as good if not better than Rocket Man, while Bowie doesn't have too much that compares to Space Oddity, IMO. Both are quite good.

Modern Love, China Girl, and Let's Dance were all fantastic, though. Pop Bowie was my favorite Bowie.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Musically, Bowie is totally overrated.
I feel like the line, “planet Earth is blue, and there’s nothing I can do” is a throw away line in Space Oddity. Just to make the rhyme work. Feels cheap.

But the FEEL of both songs are what I like

Hahaha yeah you can see why I chose SPACE ODDITY vs ROCKET MAN; they were both released around almost the same time (few years apart) and both about leaving earth for Space as a job
Yeah, and I think it makes for a fun thread. I believe Major Tom was a sequel of sorts to Space Oddity, which is why I mentioned it. As for the line you mentioned above, I think it works for the hopelessness that is felt near the end of the song. I think Bowie left the fate unknown, while Peter Schilling gave the protagonist a happy conclusion to the story.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Bowie wrote more subversive and more complicated songs than normal pop songs. I don't know if that makes him objectively better, worse, or a fool to himself. I prefer him, though.

Bowie wrote more subversive and more complicated songs than normal pop songs. I don't know if that makes him objectively better, worse, or a fool to himself. I prefer him, though.
He did so because he was waiting out his music contract, so his manager wouldn't see any of the real money he could make. Instead he wrote artistic music that would never be a big hit. As soon as his contract was over, he made the biggest pop album of his career, and also recorded Under Pressure with Queen.

Wildebeest

He did so because he was waiting out his music contract, so his manager wouldn't see any of the real money he could make. Instead he wrote artistic music that would never be a big hit. As soon as his contract was over, he made the biggest pop album of his career, and also recorded Under Pressure with Queen.
It wasn't totally planned like that. Nile Rodgers had to browbeat him into not overcomplicating his songs, and he went back to making less mass market songs after.

Rival

Gold Member
I would be fine if I never heard another David Bowie song for as long as I lived. Never understood the appeal. And if I’m being honest I don’t need to hear Elton John anymore either.

Tams

I say you need to choose.

This one:

Or This one:

No Angry GIF by BBC

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Of the two I prefer "Space Oddity" and its melody. But Elton John has a few better songs in his repertoire than Bowie. His duet with Kiki Dee for "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" is more timeless, his "I'm Still Standing Here" is far more upbeat, and his "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" is much more heartfelt than Bowie's discography.

If we are talking space-themed music that originated from the U.K. I am inclined to give the edge to Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" track.

The space theme from U.K. also reminds me of the song "Because" by the Beatles.

P.S. Whenever I hear about Elton John I am also reminded of his more talented but less flashy American counterpart, Billy Joel, but that is a different topic altogether.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I put "Rocket Man", and was surprised to see it so far in the minority.

Rocket Man is a crowd-pleaser where everyone knows the words and sings along

Space Oddity is a voyage of a song, but I don't think it has the same mass appeal

midnightAI

I almost want to say I'd take Space Oddity over Rocket Man, but mainly because Elton John has a dozen songs just as good if not better than Rocket Man, while Bowie doesn't have too much that compares to Space Oddity, IMO. Both are quite good.

Modern Love, China Girl, and Let's Dance were all fantastic, though. Pop Bowie was my favorite Bowie.
Metal Bowie is best Bowie....

(Well, technically, industrial, but you get my point)

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Both absolute bangers. It’s such a close vote for me but Elton won me over as I can listen to it more often.

Very surprised at the poll though. I thought it would be much closer to a 50/50.

Last edited:

Bowie doesnt have too much? huh? Bowie had tons of songs on every album until he died that are top notch. Modern Love and Lets dance were def not even in his top 50. China Girl was more of an Iggy Pop song, though Bowie wrote the music with him, technically its a cover.
I feel like the line, “planet Earth is blue, and there’s nothing I can do” is a throw away line in Space Oddity. Just to make the rhyme work. Feels cheap.

That line is wonderful, its literally the point of the song, which is more about existential dread then it is about going to space.
Yeah, and I think it makes for a fun thread. I believe Major Tom was a sequel of sorts to Space Oddity, which is why I mentioned it. As for the line you mentioned above, I think it works for the hopelessness that is felt near the end of the song. I think Bowie left the fate unknown, while Peter Schilling gave the protagonist a happy conclusion to the story.
just some one hit wonder,not related to bowie other then being inspired by his songs, which kinda missed the point of the oriiginal song. But there already was an actual sequel to the song.....which is better then the original.....actually there are technically 3 followups which reflect on the character. But i always thought the second song was always the best.

Hudo

Gold Member
I've come to like Bowie quite a lot. Ever since I've heard him narrate Peter and the Wolf together with the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Eiknarf

Both absolute bangers. It’s such a close vote for me but Elton won me over as I can listen to it more often.

Very surprised at the poll though. I thought it would be much closer to a 50/50.
I thought it might be closer too.

As it stands it’s
44 Space Oddity
10 Rocket Man

My whole life I assumed Elton was inspired by Bowie’s song, and assumed that’s why Elton made Rocket Man. “I wanna make my own song like this!!”

But I found out that wasn’t the case. But would one admit to that?
It’s not a big deal. Artists do that all the time in a particular genre

Anyway, I still preferred Rocket Man to Space Oddity my whole life, but as I got older it switched - and I now prefer Space Oddity to Rocket Man

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Last year I was at a David Bowie tribute theatre show commemorating Bowie's life and his greatest musical achievements. And one of the singers was the vocal spitting image of Bowie himself.

I swear to god hearing Space Oddity live was a transcending experience. It is so good. The "lore" of the song also really resonates with me.

A masterpiece. And Bowie's space odyssey going full circle with Blackstar right before his death is just incredible.

Bowie was a remarkable man and extremely clever on the advancement of technology. He immediately realized the significance of the internet and when he was kind of mocked for voice acting a videogame character he instantly shut that shit down. I'm fairly sure CD Project Red wanted Bowie to be Johnny Silverhand at first, but he was obviously too ill to take on such a massive job. Can you imagine that? Not dunking on Keanu because he did great but man, Bowie would've elevated the entire game to a new level.

We lost a real one when Bowie died.

Batiman

Banned
Tough choice. I like Elton a lot more than Bowie overall. SO is probably Bowie’s best song IMO. Rocket Man seems to be way overplayed compared to SO. If that wasn’t the case I’d pick rocket man. But I’m sick of that stupid rocket man remix. Sort of killed the song for me. Like they didn’t add nothing to it. Just made it worse in every way

Last edited:

E-Cat

Gold Member

Lyrics have nothing to do with music. Maybe the aural characteristic, but def not the semantics

Top Bottom