• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage: Hollywood Talent is More Than Just a Marketing Asset for Quantic Dream.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Cage recently answered a few questions from OnlySP about the PC ports of some of Quantic Dream’s titles. When asked whether or not the studio would pursue the inclusion of well-known talent in the future, Cage had this to say:

“We never considered actors with big names as an asset in themselves for our games. Actually, we sometimes felt it was even the opposite: having famous actors could be a handicap for a title because some press and gamers will think that they are just marketing assets.”

Cage continued on by praising Ellen Page’s performance in Beyond: Two Souls, saying that her character would “be very different” without Page’s performance.

“We will certainly continue to work with Hollywood talents in the future because they significantly help us to create emotional experiences and believable characters.”

Overall, Quantic Dream studio head stressed that what was most important was creating interesting characters to fit into the team’s narratives.

For example: Cage specifically referred to Detroit: Become Human’s Clancy Brown (Hank) and Bryan Dechart (Connor) when describing the acting relationships Quantic Dream strives for. Brown provided a recognizable face while Dechart served as a fresh talent that not many were as familiar with, making what Cage calls an “ideal combination.”

kunonabi

Page was absolutely a marketing stunt but Clancy Brown brought his A game to Detroit and elevated the hell out that game.

nkarafo

Hollywood talent, shorter experiences.

The guy wants to be a film maker. Look at his past products, that was always the case. I don't know why he end up being a game developer, is the entry to the industry easier/cheaper maybe?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Hollywood talent, shorter experiences.

The guy wants to be a film maker. Look at his past products, that was always the case. I don't know why he end up being a game developer, is the entry to the industry easier/cheaper maybe?
the weak stories are more excusable in games, and while his stories won't make for an arthouse film, they can be called an arthouse game

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When we play video games, we never know the directors/developers, go big and hire AAA/hollywood developers/directors that make the game feel bigger.

Ballthyrm

Coming from the guy who mistreat his employee so they can hit the deadlines.

Hey i guess all the overtime they are doing can pay for big movie stars, so that's a win ? /s

Psajdak

Banned
I haven't played much games with big movie stars, the ones that I saw, I mean their characters, like that police officer in GTA:SA who was voiced by Samuel L. Jackson, or Snake in MGSV who was done by Kiefer Sutherland (as much as I love David Hayter) - I thought they were performed really, really good.
Snake unfortunately had very little lines, though.

And I haven't played Bayond: Two Souls myself, but saw my brother-in-law playing it, and again, Ellen Page's character seemed really well done.

VertigoOA

Banned
I disagree with likenesses beig used of top tier talent being paid to bloat costs.

Hayter is Snake.

I still kinda blame Kojima for the fall out with Konami. He pissed away too much money with his Hollywood obsession.

Fbh

TLDR: As every other frustrated Hollywood-director-wannabe in gaming, Cage is open to work with more movie stars

kiiltz

Yes and no. Tech has come a long way since Ebert's damning piece on how vidya isn't art and I think the reality is the more it improves, the more limitless potential it has to surpass the other mediums. Amy Hennig was another one that originally wanted to get into the film industry but opted for games instead. On the creative and developer side, we're actually already there, but what's holding the game industry back is that it's critics are mostly a joke. Suppose there is a future where the industry is the pinnacle of artistry, there would first need to be a legitimate organisation to propel it forwards, like Cannes, or dare I say it, the Academy, not whatever the hell the VGA's is suppose to be. Prominent and respected figures in the industry would need to group together to create a higher tier (that doesn't just recognize AAA games) for the industry to propel itself onto.

Top Bottom