• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead/Dying IP that could use the modern touch

StueyDuck

Thread is partly inspired by playing a bit of twisted metal on PS classic, I like many, remember that back in the long long ago, being a young'un and having a laugh doing some shooting and some crashing with crazy cars back on the PS1 and loving it.

I literally hadn't touched the game (nor subsequent sequels on later platforms) since then and going back to it now aaaaand.... yeeeah... I know it was fun back then, but boy would a bit of modernisation in terms of controls and design really do the franchise some justice.

TLDR: a twisted metal game made today with modern sensibilities could be great (not you destruction all stars... bad destruction all stars bad, go lie down). Which Dormant IPs do you feel would really thrive with a modern take/design instead of trying to remain faithful

Last edited:
Halo

Come At Me Bring It On GIF by Travis

StueyDuck

While not Dormant since a game released recently but I feel Pokémon snap could've been so much more.

Big open world, loads of secrets and puzzles etc, imagine arkham style riddler puzzles, what we got instead was trying to relive the original and was kind of bland (classic Pokémon company style)

sedg87

Banned
I played and completed Koudelka a few days ago and thought this would be a fantastic game to remake/remaster. Would also love to see Alundra brought back; First game is one of my favourites.

nkarafo

The "modern touch" thing doesn't sound good to me.

It could mean a lot of things other than just better graphics and controls.

Like taking a classic game and changing it for the "modern audience".

For instance, Destruction All Stars is exactly this. A Twisted Metal for the modern audience.

In this case, i would prefer if they just let it die.

The word you are looking for is "Remaster". It's the safest way to get an improved game and even then there might be changes for the worse.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The "modern touch" thing doesn't sound good to me.

It could mean a lot of things other than just better graphics and controls.

Like taking a classic game and changing it for the "modern audience".

For instance, Destruction All Stars is exactly this. A Twisted Metal for the modern audience.

In this case, i would prefer if they just let it die.

The word you are looking for is "Remaster". It's the safest way to get an improved game and even then there might be changes for the worse.
I'm talking mostly controls and design sensibilities, not loot boxes and trend chasing, if that helps.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I'm not sure what a 'modern touch' is. I feel like the modern era of gaming needs a 'creative touch'. A lot of older games feel novel these days because they're not embedded in the templated approach of modern game design. Does Legacy of Kain need a colour-coded loot system? No. Does Onimusha need an open world? Nah. Does Syphon Filter need quippy, ultra-glib Marvel-esque dialogue? Negative.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Sleeping dogs would be nice with how popular yakuza has gotten.

Modern contra sequel made like returnal would be amazing.

Modern splinter cell with ray tracing..omg imagine how crazy it would look with the light and shadows.
reflective surfaces would make stealth more challenging

StueyDuck

I'm not sure what a 'modern touch' is. I feel like the modern era of gaming needs a 'creative touch'. A lot of older games feel novel these days because they're not embedded in the templated approach of modern game design. Does Legacy of Kain need a colour-coded loot system? No. Does Onimusha need an open world? Nah. Does Syphon Filter need quippy, ultra-glib Marvel-esque dialogue? Negative.
As explained earlier, we are talking modern control/design. Not the trend chasing or babyfication and skins or loot boxes etc.

oji-san

Banned
I have a dream.
I have a dream that one day someone, somehow will make Sphinx and The Cursed Mummy 2.
It's stuck in my head all this years when i played it on my PS2, such a unique and special game, the setting, ancient Egypt, the main characters which are a mummy and a warrior with a lightsaber weapon! and most important the gameplay that is a mix of many puzzles and combat that part of is to collect monsters and than use them in combat, oh and the music! fantastic! Tho the biggest con was not having voice acting.
Was such a lovely game and ended with a sequel ready but the company that made it closed.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
As explained earlier, we are talking modern control/design. Not the trend chasing or babyfication and skins or loot boxes etc.
Those are all part of modern design. Improved controls are great, but that's the territory and remasters and remakes. Modern design is waypoint markers, quest trackers, loot drops, crafting, open worlds. A new modern entry in any franchise is going to 'modernised' and to modernise in any meaningful sense is to incorporate modern design principles.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Those are all part of modern design. Improved controls are great, but that's the territory and remasters and remakes. Modern design is waypoint markers, quest trackers, loot drops, crafting, open worlds. A new modern entry in any franchise is going to 'modernised' and to modernise in any meaningful sense is to incorporate modern design principles.
My thread, I make the rules and I'm telling you it's not those things

Top Bottom