• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: J.D. Dillard (Sleight) in talks to co-write and direct the Fly remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://deadline.com/2017/03/jd-dill...y-remake-fox-sleight-alex-theurer-1202043309/

J.D. Dillard, whose directorial feature debut Sleight made waves at Sundance last year, is in negotiations to direct and co-write a remake of classic horror pic The Fly for Fox. He would pen the script with writing partner Alex Theurer.

There have been rumors buzzing around for a while that a remake of the story of a scientist who mutates into a grotesque human fly was on the horizon. David Cronenberg’s 1986 body-horror classic, which starred Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis, is considered arguably one of the director’s best pieces of work. That film was a remake of the 1958 version, produced and directed by Kurt Neumann and based on a short story by George Langelaan, which was followed by two sequels: Return of the Fly and Curse of the Fly. Should the Dillard-Theurer deal make, it would really move the project, and potential franchise, forward for Fox.

Dillard and Theurer certainly would bring fresh blood to the cult-classic horror pic: Dramatic thriller Sleight, which Dillard directed and co-wrote with Theurer, blended science fiction and street magic in a tale set in Los Angeles. It sees a young street magician who is left to care for his sister turn to drug peddling to keep a roof over their heads. When he gets in too deep, his sister is kidnapped and he is forced to use his magic and brilliant mind to save her. WWE Studios and Jason Blum’s Blumhouse acquired the title after it premiered in the Sundance Film Festival’s Next section last year. It hits cinemas on April 28.

le.phat

There is NOTHING to gain from remaking the fly. That movie is still a flawless 80's Cronenbergian piece of classic cinema.

GhaleonEB

Didn't we already get a The Fly remake?

Yes, but the most recent was the Cronenberg one.

In hindsight this was inevitable, but we've got two good versions that are very much of their time, and classics in their own right. This feels unnecessary, similar to the most recent take on The Thing (though not strictly a remake). I wonder how this one will be different. It will inevitably be in the shadow of Cronenberg's version.

Nairume

Banned
I'm fine with this. We've already had multiple takes on the story, and they've all each done different things with it. Plenty of room for somebody to come along and do something else fun with it.

You mean, as described in the second paragraph of the OP? Yes.

In hindsight this was inevitable, but we've got two good versions that are very much of their time, and classics in their own right. I wonder how this one will be different. It will inevitably be in the shadow of Cronenberg's version.

The fly will be CG.

You mean, as described in the second paragraph of the OP? Yes.

In hindsight this was inevitable, but we've got two good versions that are very much of their time, and classics in their own right. I wonder how this one will be different. It will inevitably be in the shadow of Cronenberg's version.

I was actually thinking of something more recent until I realised I was thinking of the Cronenberg film.

kunonabi

I mean the original and the remake were great but where else do you go with a third crack at it? I just don't think you can top them with Hollywood's current sensibilities. Just another waste of money and time.

I like both the Vincent Price movie and Goldbum version. They were very different takes on the story and that's why they can both be good.

If this 3rd one is a completely new take, then fine. Go ahead. I hope it's not a retelling of either previous ones.

The 86 version was a remake (probably 2nd best horror remake ever behind The Thing), so that doesn't bother me as long as it's a new story. I just ask that they not use CGI and bring back practical effects again. Maybe they could bring back Chris Walas as a creature design consultant for it.

gamz

What made The Fly remake so good is the chemistry. It's a great love story and that's lighting in a bottle kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom