• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline Nears for Dakota Pipeline Protesters to Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

The deadline is looming

Pipeline construction resumed this month with President Trump’s backing, and the Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota’s governor have ordered that the largest protest camp — which sits on federal land — be cleared by 2 p.m. local time on Wednesday because of flooding concerns.

“It’s time for protesters to either go home, or move to a legal site where they can peaceably continue their activities without risk of further harm to the environment,” the North Dakota attorney general, Wayne Stenehjem, said in a statement.

It was unclear how many of those still camped out would heed the evacuation order and how the authorities would respond to anyone who refused to leave. But Mike Nowatzki, a spokesman for Mr. Burgum, told The Associated Press that arrests were possible if people refused to leave.

“Some of them are definitely going to stay,” Chase Iron Eyes, a well-known protester, said of other demonstrators Tuesday night. What will happen Wednesday afternoon, he said, is uncertain.

This is going to get very ugly very quickly today.

Hopes and prayers to all my Native American friends and allies who stood in solidarity against this injustice, and I hope people stay safe.

I'm not optimistic here. But I hope this can end peacefully. We never had much hope, but I'm reminded all too often that the history of white American "progress" was paved over the blood and bodies of the Native Americans who stood in their way.

I never expected a happy outcome... but I want everyone there to know they should be proud of their actions, and to now decide what's best for them and their families. I completely understand anyone who decides to stay, and I'm proud of them too. But please... stay safe.

Protein

Banned
The rich white people would like you to leave now. They're tired of waiting for their money to come in. Please, don't be rude.

All of this, for an energy source that is rapidly declining in importance, and is the cause of our future problems. Fuck the old rich fuckers looking to get richer that will die off before the rest of us suffer because of their actions.

“It’s time for protesters to either go home, or move to a legal site where they can peaceably continue their activities without risk of further harm to the environment,” the North Dakota attorney general, Wayne Stenehjem, said in a statement.

the fucking nerve

The environment that's going to have an oil pipeline that will undoubtedly leak some time in the future? That environment?

sasliquid

I cannot condone violence

But I do hope that the protestors will defend themselves, their land and us by any means necessary

Tuck

”It's time for protesters to either go home, or move to a legal site where they can peaceably continue their activities without risk of further harm to the environment," the North Dakota attorney general, Wayne Stenehjem, said in a statement.
lol are you fucking kidding me

giphy.gif

Whompa02

So they want you to peacefully protest so nothing changes during their continued environmentally hazardous operation?

Lol...

Protein

Banned

I never condoned rioting, but...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's really sad how little attention this has been getting since the beginning...

It got a lot, but probably the biggest effect with Trump has been he's spread everything thin. Literally, it's been a blitzkrieg on every social, economical, and immigration front.

One day it's school, next immigration, next veterans, next pipeline, next EPA, next PBS, NASA, etc.

You dense motherfucker.

Glix

It got a lot, but probably the biggest effect with Trump has been he's spread everything thin. Literally, it's been a blitzkrieg on every social, economical, and immigration front.

One day it's school, next immigration, next veterans, next pipeline, next EPA, next PBS, NASA, etc.

Nah. Coverage was SHAMEFUL even before the election.

Larry ODonnell has been the only person I have seen covering it properly from the start on "mainstream" news/tv.

And his take is fucking unflinching and amazing. We have broken every single treaty we had with these people and we should feel nothing but SHAME.

TalonJH

WTF!?

Garlador

And his take is fucking unflinching and amazing. We have broken every single treaty we had with these people and we should feel nothing but SHAME.

When there's no repercussions for doing so, what motivation do they have to uphold them? Honor?

The lack of massive public outrage or even awareness in the nation is proof that, sadly, nobody cares or knows enough to rebuke them for doing so.

You cannot appeal to the better angels of businessmen to do the right thing just for the sake of it, not when there's profit to be found. These people in the way? Just collateral damage.

Boney

Banned
The police has been actively searching every car for tents or other camping gear, barring them from getting near the place and effectively walking out the very few protestors there without supplies.

It's sick, and I feel when the situation blows up, it'll have major ramifications nation wide as protests keep sparking up.

Sulik2

Gonna be a lot of dead people once lethal force is authorized when the protesters refuse to leave. All for a pipeline that will barely do anything.

I don't think they've thrown it up on their YT channel yet, but VICE News Tonight's piece on the state of the place last night painted a pretty damn precipitous picture...from the few folks holding on, the backfiring of the veterans, the whole lot.

Garlador

The Dutch ABN Bank announced today that it will cancel a 45 million dollar loan to ETE.

Another Dutch bank, ING, has invested 120 million and they claim they are contractually bound to continue, but are uncomfortable with the situation. They want to personally speak to the tribes.

So the protests are doing something at least.

http://www.nu.nl/economie/4489461/a...-bedrijf-omstreden-oliepijp-north-dakota.html

That sounds far too little too late, and our GOVERNMENT and president don't see the need to negotiate. Just, you know, run them off the land. Problem solved.

I've been depressed about this all day...what's more depressing is no one at work (or around me) is talking about it. A lot about the Woman's protest coming soon, which is ironic considering the people organizing the NoDAPL protests have been women. Really no one cares about indigenous people, and makes me beyond sad ;(

SummitAve

Banned
I was pretty dissapointed to see all the trash and debris left behind in a recent Wapo article. That shit is going to end up in exactly what they are trying to protect. :/

Garlador

Disgusting

Comments are even worse..

I read some truly awful things earlier today from people who basically were saying Native Americans were filthy savages back then and filthy savages now, and that they'd still be "wiping their asses with their hand" if the enlightened white people hadn't come and "civilized" them.

I wanted to be angry, to be outraged, and... I just got depressed instead.

Hundreds of years later and Native Americans are still treated as garbage and thought of as sub-human by an alarmingly large number of people.

There's nothing I can do about that. I never expected Native Americans to win this fight either. History has never been on our side.

Why did it seem like the resistance and outrage was 10x worse in November? it seems this is going out with a whimper. Are people just spread too thin on protests?

Haven't a lot of the outside protestors made a huge mess in the area, to the point where the environment damage they have already caused is possibly extremely dangerous:
http://bismarcktribune.com/news/sta...cle_30f37dde-c1a8-5d70-a4d7-54f12c2865f1.html
http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/...rotest-camp-before-spring-thaw-412954433.html
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/15/north-dakota-feds-address-garbage-left-at-pipeline/

"Its estimated the protestors have left behind 250 truck loads of trash that needs to be cleaned up". If stuff like the propane tanks get into the river before the thaw it could wreak environmental havoc upon the Missouri river.

Feel bad for the original native american protesters, bunch of outsider assholes come in, think they are helping just hanging around, and leave without cleaning up their own garbage. Your garbage disappearing under white snow does not mean Santa Clause has taken it away. There's even abandoned cars and some cops are worried there may be bodies in all the piles of garbage, like seriously WTF...

Also the area is a flood plain and if people are still living there past a certain point its almost certain they will die from flooding, which is why they are being taken out. Its not helping with the large leftover trash.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

what the fucking fuck you asshole.

Sunster

it's fine though, remember when gaffers in older DAPL threads assured us that these new pipelines won't leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom