• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Hall (DayZ) launches Early Access for VR strategy shooter Out of Ammo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-15-dean-hall-launches-new-early-access-vr-game-out-of-ammo

http://store.steampowered.com/app/451840/

Trailer: https://youtu.be/3-vpLpgOEQM

"Out of Ammo has been designed exclusively around the HTC Vive," the developer stated on Steam. "Possessing your units allows you to utilise the full capability and power of the positional tracking; take cover behind sandbags, lean over a tower railing, or duck behind your sandbags and grab a grenade to throw as a last resort! Full physics applied to game objects further enhances your experience allowing you to position your magazines in the space around you ready for when you need to reload."

Easy_D

never left the stone age
UnitZ in VR?

Edit: Oh wait you fight blocky soldiers, not zombies and there's a big strategic element to it, shame on me for being quick to jump the gun. That said, I'm not very fond of the artstyle.

JDB

Banned
Welp, that Youtube comment section is quite something.
Anyway, game looks cool although it uses Unity store assets which is a bit strange to see a 'big' studio do.

It looks like a good bit of fun. Unfortunately for Dean Hall it will be a long time before the PC community forgives him for what they see as him creating a false promise with DayZ and then "abandoning" it. DayZ will be his legacy for a while yet.

Took his millions and ran, while leaving DayZ in a perpetual Alpha state.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't even start this crap. He said from the get go that he would be leaving eventually, there was nothing more he could do for the game and he wanted to return home to New Zealand.
DayZ is still terrible, but it's not Dean Hall's fault at this stage.

JDB

Banned
What else would you call what he did. He left DayZ for dead and took his cut.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) DayZ is still in development. There are bi-weekly updates on its progress. It has been explained time and time again what a time consuming task it is what they're trying to achieve. They're essentially rewriting the entire Arma 2 engine to make it work what DayZ is trying to do. If you're even vaguely familiar with Arma 2 you'll understand what a mess it is. This has also taken longer because they initially planned to just release the DayZ as a standalone product without changing too much to the core of the game. Instead they decided to make it a proper standalone game gutted the game to start almost over again. They did this knowing fully well that it would require a lot more time.

2) Dean Hall is a big picture kind of guy, similar to Notch. Him still being there wouldn't have changed much in this situation. If anything he probably would have gone too far with making it realistic instead of making getting a good balance between fun and realism. The details of DayZ are better left off to the current development team who already have a good idea of what they want to do with the game.

Do I wish development on DayZ was faster? Sure, but I've already had over a thousand hours of fun in the mod and the first versions of the standalone version and I'm more than happy to wait longer to get a properly new experience instead of just the mod with some additions. Dean Hall leaving or not doesn't really change the situation so I really can't help but feel indifferent about it.

legacyzero

Banned
Don't even start this crap. He said from the get go that he would be leaving eventually, there was nothing more he could do for the game and he wanted to return home to New Zealand.
DayZ is still terrible, but it's not Dean Hall's fault at this stage.

Nope. Dean was the captain of that ship, soared that game to the top for over a year, made lots of comments and promises, and then see-ya-later. At least hit SOMETHING resembling 1.0 before you happy-trails it.

The immense failure of DayZ will tarnish everything Dean Hall will ever do.
Yeah, Im gonna have trouble trusting the guy with future projects. Kibda hard to stay open minded, but im open to turning my opinion around if he completes something soon.

Kathian

Banned
Honestly its right DayZ is brought up. Ruined that game and the stand alone was even worse than the mod. I still don't quite get how they didn't realise that removing the AI entirely would basically fix the game. Swap zombies for a plague and your done.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah, this is what this thread is turning into.

Did he lie, tho?

DayZ still isn't finished. I doubt he'll finish this one either.

To anyone reading and has a VR headset: AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. Don't fall for his lies/pitches.

Dean Hall + Early Access? Never gonna get finished, will be abandoned for the next project midway through dev. DayZ is a blight on his record and it's gonna be that way forever.

artsi

Should be noted that while DayZ standalone could not be finished in Dean Hall's time, the scope of that game is absolutely huge while this is a small indie title. I would not be worried that this game will be "another DayZ".

Top Bottom