• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Cab for Cutie/Postal Service Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

i like power pop, like fountains of wayne...but problem with that stuff is, its too clean cut. sometimes im in the mood for a bit more proggy rocking stuff, thats where coheed and cambria/mars volta comes in, bit more noisy, way more melodious, much harder edged and the progressions are not very straightforward. so its cool, yeah!!!!!

nitewulf

wait wait, let me add a mid tempo catchy indie pop band for ya..."the organ", hell i found them through the last music thread, they are just freaking amazing.
also, have you been listening to the killers, franz ferdinand etc? those are pretty upbeat, catchy pop.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
GG Duo: The Exploding Hearts, The Shins, The Decemberists, Dressy Bessy, Apples in Stereo, All Girl Summer Fun Band, Optiganally Yours (though they're not 'normal' they write catchy as fuck songs), Pinback (basically anything Rob Crow does), Bottom of the Hudson, The Raveonettes, The Robot Ate Me, Ted Leo/Pharmacists.

Um, if you want, I'll try to find some mp3 samples of some of these here. I just wanted to make the list before I forgot. And I'm sure you've heard some of them, I just listed stuff off the top of my head! :)

EDIT:

Bottom of the Hudson
Pinback
Optiganally Yours & More OY
The Robot Ate Me
The Exploding Hearts
Ted Leo/Pharmacists
All Girl Summer Fun Band
The Decemberists

Can't find any Apples in Stereo, Raveonettes, or Dressy Bessy. Sorry! And I'd bet you've heard The Shins.

GG-Duo

Aww thanks dude. and you're right, i've heard about these bands but have not heard their songs.

The Shins are solid, but something about 'em just doesn't click for me. For example, I like the recent Of Montreal cover of Know Your Onion better than the original version. Which reminds me, what kind of music does Of Montreal play?

edit: oh FUCK YES, this stuff is what i'm looking for.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I liked the Decemberists for awhile, but the way the guy sings got REALLY annoying. Now I only listen to them when I'm in the mood, which is rare.

I LOVE The Postal Service! That is one of my favorite albums, it's just so incredibly good. I've been looking for something similar and of the same quality, but I haven't found anything close yet. I chcked out Dntel but all of his stuff was alld ark and moody, totally different. Though on the site for Garden State there is a soundclip that has similar music and some chick as the singer, I'm curious about that.

hXc_thugg

nitewulf said:
i like power pop, like fountains of wayne...but problem with that stuff is, its too clean cut. sometimes im in the mood for a bit more proggy rocking stuff, thats where coheed and cambria/mars volta comes in, bit more noisy, way more melodious, much harder edged and the progressions are not very straightforward. so its cool, yeah!!!!!

Hahahahahaha...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
GG Duo: I'm glad that some of the stuff is up yr alley. I'll try to think of more here, I'm a big pop fan, but my brain is kinda not working today. Definitely hunt down some Dressy Bessy though, they're fuckin' perfect.

Dice: I love weird vocalists. Colin is right up my alley. Plus his lyrics are fucking great. "A Cautionary Song" is perfect. Goddammit, Castaways & Cutouts needs to get put out on vinyl. Like, now. And I hope you've listened to The Tain...

hXc_thugg: A man after my own heart.

hXc_thugg

Coheed and Cambria are not progressive at all. They play the same boring fauXcore/emo shite that a thousand Long Island bands already play.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
You know what? GG Duo, check out White Pepper by Ween. It's pretty much exactly what you want, I think. It's a very good pop record. Basically everything they've done sinece Chocolate & Cheese are pretty much amazing, but that one in particular is a good starting point, and probably an album you would enjoy a lot.

tt_deeb

I really like everything I've heard from The Postal Service more so then Death Cab for Cuite. Should I get "Give Up"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom