• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Trash - A cyberpunk splatterpunk post-apocalyptic RPG, in development

http://www.deathtrash.com/
http://deathtrashgame.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/talecrafter

Death Trash is a modern post-apocalyptic roleplaying game with influences of cyberpunk, science fiction, horror, the grotesque and trash-talk humor. It features a world full of dialogue and interesting characters, item crafting and realtime combat. Player freedom is emphasized and combat is not the only way to survive. Inspired by roleplaying classics like Ultima 7, Planescape: Torment and Fallout. Supports Mouse, Gamepad and Local Co-op.
  • A post-apocalyptic world with punks, science fiction, the grotesque and trash-talking, unlike anything seen before
  • Thick atmosphere, rich dialogue and unique characters
  • Player freedom emphasized with multiple solutions to problems and the possibility to cancel dialogue anytime
  • World simulation through realtime combat, item crafting and a roleplaying stats system
  • Use psi powers to manipulate others, the environment and yourself
  • Built with modern PC gaming in mind, supporting both mouse and gamepad controls
  • Local Co-op where your partner can drop in and out anytime
Some of these are gameplay, others are concepts, but they all give a good idea of the tone and atmosphere the devs are going for

tumblr_nw3lbp0Hx01udgdfno1_1280.gif
TebPeup.gif

oWspj6h.png
quit_dialogue_anytime.gif

ZEezzaS.png
r53NKAA.png

EvtVSzX.png
19gnb3j.png

y92ROVU.png
ZlN0UeM.png

Artstyle is neat, though can't say I'm feeling those bits of dialogue
Dev commented on this in the RPS comments because the dialogue came up there too
Hey, there. I’m the author of the game. And I can understand that some of you have some concerns regarding the writing. But it’s not that I am going for the “Ooooh, guts!” or “Ooooh boobies!”.

This game is just three months in development. I “discovered” the world by making my daily art images and stumbling upon it and then experimented with some dialogue. The scenes I posted are iterations to find a voice for the game, and the “pisspunk” attitude just stuck and gave a good match to the visuals. There will be other themes explored, too, that deal more with the philosophical aspects of a world gone anarchy, the existence of demi-god entitites and how people’s lifes are changed in their wake, the responsibility when creating artificial life, etc.

And regarding the sexual theme, that will be explored from many different angles. At least I strive for a diverse representation.

So, I am sure the style of this game and the dialogue will not please everyone. That’s impossible. But I’m not going for the shock value, I just try to create a world I myself would want to explore.

(As a side note: English is not my native language. So if there are any errors, I am always glad when someone points them out.)

Sendero

A bit too much empty space in the prototype video. But the background music and concept graphics look good. The action bits reminded me to Cabal (pretty old arcade game).

The web site only list 1 person (plus another for Audio) working on the game. Hope he does not get burn out doing so many things. Writing dialogue is specially tyring, given how iterative tends to be.

Will keep an eye on this one.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck me i just got this game..
I am having a blast man!

What a great game.. currently it’s 10 off on the EGS

For 8 euros this is a no brainer :3
Srsly go play this game..
Free demo on steam too.
Reminds me of fallout 2

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Fuck me i just got this game..
I am having a blast man!

What a great game.. currently it’s 10 off on the EGS

For 8 euros this is a no brainer :3
Srsly go play this game..
Free demo on steam too.
Reminds me of fallout 2
Its briliant but it’s early access, just a chunk of the full planned game and they’re constsntly updating features.
I’ll wait for the complete release but seriously people should try that demo.

intbal

Yeah, it's awesome.
All two hours of it.

They need to hurry up and and finish it before people have completely forgotten it exists.

I assume Alex from DF's video about his fave games of the year is what prompted your necro, Spukc. Maybe other people will give it a shot with the big signal boost it's getting.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried the demo... Gameplay was boring and the writing was bad. Nothing like Fallout.

Those of you that like it: why? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Bartski

Gold Member
Tried the demo... Gameplay was boring and the writing was bad. Nothing like Fallout.

Those of you that like it: why? I feel like I'm missing something here.
well... the systems go deep, you can kill everyone or make friends with large sentient lumps of meat. You can also weaponize your vomit. Or eat it. What else do you need?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
well... the systems go deep, you can kill everyone or make friends with large sentient lumps of meat. You can also weaponize your vomit. Or eat it. What else do you need?
Uh, dunno man. Played the demo for a bit, like the tutorial bunker and like one or two areas more and it felt very bland.

Maybe I should give it another go... Gameplay looked very simple at first, but if it goes deeper I guess it could get interesting.

Uh, dunno man. Played the demo for a bit, like the tutorial bunker and like one or two areas more and it felt very bland.

Maybe I should give it another go... Gameplay looked very simple at first, but if it goes deeper I guess it could get interesting.
I got 22 hours in the game and I can give you some context. It's... weird, while the initial reveal from five years ago showed it as lol so random edgy violence. The game sets up a lot of mysteries, plot and lore to dig through. The world's gone completely screwed after a massive event, and Humanity is splintered into different factions. You got the Pilgrim Holy people who worship the Flesh Titans, You got the machines that are basically been put there by someone after the massive event in major towns as a failsafe since Humanity will fuckup in those enclaves as a sort of forced peace measure in certain locations. Then you got Godhunters who are basically roaming around trying to kill all the Titans and shut off the flesh, there's also an unknown entity going about and just slaughtering gods all around.

The gameplay is fun, and I was surprised how much you can get away with it. There's little neat ways to make lots of money, craft ammo, and even have multiple ways of finishing certain quests. The sidequests are well written ( as much as they can be in their current phase). The combat is fun but not without fault ( you can backstab enemies), and roll around to avoid enemy attacks and shots. Some bosses have different ways of defeating them, and the level design is varied, and intricate.

You can respec your looks and skills anytime during the game. I reached level 10 but by that point you can do a lot of cool stuff. The enemy AI is weirdly brutal, you got some mutants that will bum rush you so quickly with special attacks you won't have time to blink. You can kill anyone, pickpocket anyone, or be a good guy, and try to get the Fleshkraken a friend... (heh that was a fun bit)

I do hope this isn't really just the third of the story and that it is a long one, I love this world, it's unique and original, but it's not edgy, it just has flesh monsters and androids running around.

RavageX

This day and age I expect more from graphics. Not saying Im all about graphics being first and foremost, but they need to be better than this for me.

intbal

I got 22 hours in the game and I can give you some context. ...
Did you play on PC?
And is the PC version much, MUCH longer than the console release?

I played this back in June on Xbox and the only thing available was a tiny little area of the map. I pretty much completed 100% of the content and it only took me 2-3 hours.

I liked what little bit I played, but there was just nothing to it. If there's more available now, I'll definitely return to the game.

it took 22 hours since i liked exploring and trying a lot of stuff. I dont want to post spoilers here but what area was the limit in Xbox ? New Delphi was in it for you or no?

Last edited:
If it's not Cyber or Steam, I don't care about your special "punk" variant.
It’s a mix Cyberpunk and dystopian flesh monsters. There are implants and special abilities. Also a skill tree called Empathy that unlocks different conversations with certain npcs

intbal

it took 22 hours since i liked exploring and trying a lot of stuff. I dont want to post spoilers here but what area was the limit in Xbox ? New Delphi was in it for you or no?
Tough to say. It's been half a year. I don't really recall the names.
But when I was watching DF's footage, there were things in there (weapons, abilities, enemies) that I definitely didn't have access to.
Surely they will finish the game in 2022. I'll just wait until the final release to give it another go.

WitchHunter

Banned
Still Early access? GTFO! I want to play this, but fuck the beta testing. Demo was cool as fuck. Protagonist looked a bit off, but the idea was fresh.

Someone should lock the devs in the basement...

Bartski

Gold Member
as per a recent update, after almost 3 years in early access atm, the new release window of 1.0 is mid to late 2025, including console versions.

Welcome.

This is the roadmap for the final phase of the Death Trash Early Access.

We have avoided communicating concrete dates in the past. Working as a small team on a complicated game has been notoriously difficult, especially in regards to timely estimations. The Early Access took longer than we initially anticipated. For that we are sorry.

But during the Early Access we have improved the game and, equally important, our tools, workflows and knowledge. We are more confident now about handling the rest of the game and what time we’ll need for that.

Note: These dates might still change. If one of the milestones takes longer than anticipated, all the later dates will be influenced by that, too, of course. And at the end of the day we won't call it final (1.0) if we are not happy with the state of the game and will instead put more work in. But the important thing here is, I hope, to see and to know that the end is actually in sight.

Milestones

Steam Input implementation
Current target:
soon on the beta branch

The Perished City
Current target:
mid-2024 on the beta branch

New locations and quests.

ebbb27d6f208317941542affd729dcbb4c30ccff.png

Improving item economy
Current target:
fall 2024

This is about the range of items available in the game, inventory size, item balancing etc.

Northern Wasteland
Current target:
end of 2024

New locations and quests.

9305624a6a604cee5d7b33fbce762b445cc36825.png

Improving existing locations and gameplay
Current target:
spring to mid 2025

This is in general about adding more depth to the game, both to the narrative parts as well as to the gameplay.

The Machine and the Watcher
Current target:
mid- to late 2025

Final locations and quests.

a204ef5d560b3477be7792042d05e78778fdd739.png

Full release
Current target:
mid- to late 2025

Post release
We will continue to support the game, of course. And as this game is very dear to us, this will probably happen for a long time. We haven’t decided yet if the next project after this will be more directly connected to Death Trash or be a different take.

Console versions
Current target:
end of 2025

We have no final decision on whether we follow through with publishing these ourselves or partnering up for that. Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo Switch versions are playable already but need more work.

Localization
Current target:
unknown

We still don't know how much budget we'll have for additional languages. Production-wise it might make sense to have the localization added later than the 1.0 release so they can be done from a finished game instead of a still changing one. (If we had more experience we might try to have it all ready at once for the 1.0 release, but since our experience and resources are limited, we might rather approach this step by step.)

Level Editor
Current target:
unknown

Mainly intended for users to create their own standalone adventures with the Death Trash gameplay and art assets. We might extend the functionality later on.

c1b6a25d8175862935887af5a7eaedb75135d2b7.png

Extended mind item gameplay
Current target:
might not happen

We have more gameplay ideas for Death Trash. But, realistically, we can’t tackle all of them and have to shelve some of them for later. Enhancing the gameplay around the mind items might be one of these cases. We will revisit these ideas in the future.

Thank you

Thank you so much for your feedback and support so far. Death Trash has already become a much better game during Early Access and we couldn’t have done that without you.

- Stephan

Top Bottom