• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Decline of English Language continues - new words added to Oxford Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Idiocracy.jpg

Is there any particular criteria for whether an entry is included as two separate words, hyphenated or two words stuck together? Because it seems completely random.

Ovid

rage-quit, v.: (informal) angrily abandon an activity or pursuit that has become frustrating, especially the playing of a video game.
We've all been there.

Start/Pause, Up, Up, Start

komplanen

Languages evolve. These words are being used whether they are in a dictionary or not. In fact, most of these are being used by people who have never even opened a dictionary, but even that is besides the point.

Languages evolve. These words are being used whether they are in a dictionary or not. In fact, most of these are being used by people who have never even opened a dictionary, but even that is besides the point.

Cat Cafe is not a word, I don't care how you try to spin it, it's two words, both of which are already in the dictionary. I just think if you're including stupid things like that then you have to include every 2 word combination that's ever been said, and at a certain point the dictionary becomes completely useless as a reference tool.

Cat Cafe is not a word, I don't care how you try to spin it, it's two words, both of which are already in the dictionary. I just think if you're including stupid things like that then you have to include every 2 word combination that's ever been said, and at a certain point the dictionary becomes completely useless as a reference tool.

So a brain fart is just fart emitted from the brain?

Zophar

The OED indexes phrases as well.

Shameful how few people understand what the OED even *is*.

I can agree with a lot of these but fur baby is just so fucking stupid. Like I hate it more than awesomesauce which is already pretty terrible. Do people actually say beer o’clock/wine o'clock? I've literally never heard it before.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
English language isn't declining. If anything it's taking over.

There are a bunch of English-born words that are getting exported into other languages. It's straight up imperialistic.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
My issue is consistency. If these are in there, why not half if not almost all of Urban Dictionary's entries? I hear a lot of stuff said on there more than what's in the OP here. Some of that stuff I've never even heard of before.

Zophar

My issue is consistency. If these are in there, why not half if not almost all of Urban Dictionary's entries? I hear a lot of stuff said on there more than what's in the OP here. Some of that stuff I've never even heard of before.

Tons of things in urban dictionary are in the OED.

Shokifer

If I remember correctly a lot of terms on Urban Dictionary have about a thousand different definitions, although i guess they have a voting system for that.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

because it has to be widespread enough where it is used often enough.

before today, if you heard awesomesauce would people understand what it means more often than not? its already ahead of half of the dictionary at that point.

Nuke Soda

Theoretically the addition of these words makes sense, but I for one shall abstain from using such abominations in my day to day diction.

Where did I put my fancy monocle? Oh that's right I don't have one. Well, shit bruh. Hashtag hella awesomesauce.

I find it interesting that awesomesauce is one word, but lame sauce is two. Anyhow, on my way home once I listened to an entire npr show about words, I found it strangely fascinating. Did you know that an apron was originally a napron? Just because it sounded like an apron, rather then a napron, we changed it? Dumb things I learned

Do you remember what show that was or what the episode was called?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Looks like Oxford should Brexit the fucking planet.

Seriously? Why are phrases now being considered words?

At least add cromulent and embiggen. They're both more worthy than that entire list.

BraXzy

These ones are the ones I'm okay with being added. Why has phishing got spear in front of it?

brain fart, n.: (informal) a temporary mental lapse or failure to reason correctly.
fat-shame, v.: cause (someone judged to be fat or overweight) to feel humiliated by making mocking or critical comments about their size.
Mx, n.: a title used before a person’s surname or full name by those who wish to avoid specifying their gender or by those who prefer not to identify themselves as male or female.
pocket dial, v.: inadvertently call (someone) on a mobile phone in one’s pocket, as a result of pressure being accidentally applied to a button or buttons on the phone.
rage-quit, v.: (informal) angrily abandon an activity or pursuit that has become frustrating, especially the playing of a video game.
spear phishing, n.: the fraudulent practice of sending emails ostensibly from a known or trusted sender in order to induce targeted individuals to reveal confidential information.
swatting, n.: (US informal) the action or practice of making a hoax call to the emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large. number of armed police officers to a particular address.

Dryk

It is amusing how this one is used derogatorily when the meaning is so positive.
Originally it was used by people in social justice circles to describe people that were especially militant and usually did not fight for the right reasons. Then it was co-opted by people outside those circles to describe anybody with strong opinions on social justice, thus losing all of its usefulness.

Looks like Oxford should Brexit the fucking planet.

Seriously? Why are phrases now being considered words?

At least add cromulent and embiggen. They're both more worthy than that entire list.

Well they don't own or rule the language, they're just a dictionary.

That's the great thing about English, nothing's holding it baaaaack.

Novocaine

Cupboard used to be spelled 'cup board'. It's only a matter of a time until people realize the stupid space in between a and lot isn't worth getting that worked up about.

It makes me irrationally angry, I know it's dumb but I cannot help it. Especially when every device around tells you when you spell a word wrong or corrects it for you automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom